, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Head of Centre of Scientific & Technical and Economical Information of Sumy State University, Coordinator of Strengthening Academic Integrity in Ukraine Project in Sumy State University, Head of Subcommittee “Academic Integrity” (Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine), Ukraine.
, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine.
The article is devoted to the main challenges facing the student community and teaching staff towards building a European-style university with getting the principles of academic integrity. The basic universal norms, which should enter into the daily life of the university and ensure the improvement of the quality of educational and scientific process, are shown. The basic manifestations of academic dishonesty are presented. Based on the own experience of the authors the method of active implementation of the principles of academic integrity in the lives of students and teacher activities are show. The main objective of the further work is to create a culture for communities, which believe that honesty and integrity are fundamental values that define how we teach and learn.
Keywords: academic integrity, plagiarism, academic fraud, applicants of higher education.
JEL Classification: A22, A29.
Cite as: Artyukhov, A., Liuta, O. (2017). Academic integrity in Ukrainian higher education: values, skills, actions. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(1), 34-39. Doi: 10.21272/bel.2017.1-04
- Finikov T., A. Artyukhov A. (2016). Academic integrity as the basis for sustainable development of the university / Кyiv, Taxon, p. 234.
- Analytical Reference on the results of investigations of practices of academic integrity in higher education institutions (2016) Resource document. Ministry of Education and Science. Retrieved from: http://mon.gov.ua/content/%D0%9D%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B8/2016/08/09
/academichna-dobrochesnist.pdf. Accessed 6 March 2017.
- Efimova, G. (2011). Analisys of reasons of academic cheating and their classification. Retrieved from: http://naukovedenie.ru/PDF/24pvn412.pdf. Accessed 6 March 2017.
- Ethical problems of science at the beginning of the XXI century (2015). Retrieved from: https://allendy.ru/filnauki/456-etika-nauki.html. Accessed 4 March 2017.
- Zazirniy, I., Kostrub, O. (2016). Plagiarism: What is it and how we understand it in Europe? Injury, 1, 125-126.
- Sharshekeeva, Kamilla D. (2000). The principle of academic honesty as the basis of activity of modern university. Retrieved from: http://elibrary.auca.kg:8080/dspace/bitstream/123456789/141/1/
Sharshekeeva_Printsip%20akademicheskoi%20chestnosti.pdf. Accessed 4 March 2017.
- Kalinovskiy, Yu. (2011). Academic honesty as a factor in the legal education of students. Retrieved from: http://dspace.nulau.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/2201/1/Kalinovsky_477-482.pdf,
- Pan-European Platform on Ethics, Transparency and Integrity in Education (ETINED). Ethical behavior of all actors in education/7th Prague Forum Towards a Pan-European Platform on Ethics, Transparency and Integrity in Education Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic 1-2 October 2015. 58 p.
- Pobizhenko, V., Pobizhenko, I. (2011). Plagiarism as a factor of the quality of education reducing. Information Processing Systems, 8, 310-313.
- Recommendations for ensuring academic integrity principles (2017). Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Scientific-methodical commission of organizational and methodological support of higher education, Subcommittee “Academic Integrity”. 2017. 24 p.
- Romakin, V. (2002). Academic honesty in higher education. Retrieved from: http://lib.chdu.
edu.ua/pdf/naukpraci/pedagogika/2002/20-7-3.pdf Accessed 5 March 2017.
- Shynkarenko, V. (2012). The control plagiarism in student papers. East Europe Journal of Advanced Technologies, 4(2), 32-36.
- Singayivska, A. (2013). Plagiarism as a mirror of higher education. Herald of the National Technical University of Ukraine. Series: Philosophy. Psychology. Pedagogy, 2, 41-42.
- Tsokur, O. (2009). “Code of Honor” in US higher education. Vestnik of Cherkassky National University of Bohdan Khmelnytsky. Series: Teaching Science, 150, 57-62.