Alexandru Trifu, PhD, Professor, University “Petre Andrei” of Iasi, Romania
In this paper, we have no intention to focus on leaders/leadership, on its relationships and debates with man-agement. Our scope is to understand if one major component of the nonverbal communication, i.e. the prox-emics, has an influence on leaders/leadership and to highlight the measure of it.
Passing through the Fiedler’s Contingency Model, as an example, we may say that the charismatic and efficient leader is focused on the on the tandem task-relations. What needs to be kept is the fact we are interested in the existence of a Leader, not of a good leader. It is a contradiction in terms.
In business, but also in politics, the leader is the person who dominates and convinces people around him to work, or to do something for a common goal. Especially politically speaking, in these years it is needed a change of leadership to be accordingly to the new realities and major challenges and defiances of today’s world.
Based even on my own experience, studying the activity and behavior of some leaders of our era and papers regarding this main issue, we concluded that the proxemics is influencing leaders/leadership, in a right measure for each leader, but significant for his actions and the state of leadership.
Keywords: proxemics, nonverbal communication, leaders, right distance, efficiency.
JEL Classification: L26, M12.
Cite as: Trifu, A. (2017). Is Proxemics Influencing Leadership? Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(3), 5-9. DOI: 10.21272/bel.1(3).5-9.2017.
- Bennis, B. M., Nanus, B. (2000). Liderii. Strategii pentru preluarea puterii (Leaders. Strategies to take the lead), Business Tech International Press Publishers, Bucharest.
- Major Crandall, Doug (2007). Leadership Lessons from West Point, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hall, Edward T. (1982). The Hidden Dimension, Anchor Books Editions. Available at www.philo- online.com/TEXTES/HALL Edward Twichell. Accessed August 15, 2017.
- Hall, Edward T. (1974). Handbook for Proxemic Research, Society for Anthropology of Visual Communication, Washington D.C.
- Leon, A. L. (2016). Comunicare in Afaceri (Business Communication), Performantica Publishers, Iasi.
- Mills, Quinn D. (2005). Leadership. How to lead, How to Live, Waltham, MA; MindEdge Press.
- Myers, G.E., Myers, M.T. (1990). Les bases de la communication interpersonnelle, McGraw-Hill.
- Nastase, Marian (2004). Cultura organizationala si manageriala (The managerial and organizational culture), ASE Publishers, Bucharest.
- Neculau, Adrian (2004). Psihologia campului social. Reprezentarile sociale, Polirom Publishers, Iasi.
- Parr Rud, Olivia (2012). Leadership Techniques: How Is Your Nonverbal Communication? Available at www.oliviagroup.com/leadership.. Accessed August 19, 2017.
- Sheppard, Mike (last update 1996). Proxemics. Available at www.cs.unm.edu/~sheppard/proxemics.htm. Accessed August 13, 2017.
- Fiedler’s Contingency Model, www.mindtools.com/pages accessed August 18, 2017.