, PhD, Associate Professor, Wroclaw University of Science and Technology, Poland
, PhD, Associate Professor, Sumy State University, Ukraine
, Head, International Affairs Office, Sumy State University, Ukraine
The research paper investigates the state of the internal system of quality assurance for higher education and identifies the main approaches for its enhancement under the process of integration of Ukraine into the global educational area. The authors conducted a thorough analysis of the existing national and foreign approaches to the definition of “quality of education”. It has been determined that at different stages of the historical development of the society the requirements for education and its quality have changed, along with the content of the latter category. At a modern stage, content “quality of education” is comprehensive and contains the characteristics of all components of learning, the conditions and results of the educational process.
A research on a practical nature of constructing and implementing the internal quality assurance system by the higher educational institutions of Ukraine has been carried out and the main shortcomings inherent in this process at the present stage has been determined on the basis of the survey conducted within the implementation of the international grant project “Quality Assurance System in Ukraine: Development on the Base of ENQA Standards and Guidelines” of the EU Erasmus + Programme. Among the main problems inherent in the internal quality assurance systems in Ukraine were determined the following: 1) ESG 2015, in particular regarding the internal quality assurance (namely, assurance, not just monitoring, evaluation, control), are still not completely comprehended and systematically not applied in national practice; 2) most of HEIs do not conduct student evaluation of time spent on studying the courses as well as analysis of their subjective evaluation of workload for learning; 3) insufficient provisions for internal systems of academic staff selection; 4) the low level of information transparency; limited information is publicly available to all internal and external stakeholders; 5) there is no common framework to which institutions can refer. This leads to strong differences in implementation of internal quality assurance procedures and thus to different results and outcomes.
The research paper describes the experience of Polish higher educational institutions in terms of the developing an internal quality assurance system for the higher education. The main task of the further work is to identify the main approaches for improving the internal quality assurance system at the Ukrainian higher education institutions based on application of the best European experience.
Keywords: higher education, educational activity, internal system of quality assurance, stakeholders, learners, standards, recommendations.
JEL Classification: I20, I23.
Cite as: Mazurkiewicz, M., Liuta, O, Kyrychenko, K. (2017). Internal Quality Assurance System for the Higher Education: Experience of Ukraine and Poland. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(4), 74-83. DOI: 10.21272/bel.1(4).74-83.2017
- Andrushchenko, V., Bojchenko, M., Gorbunova, L., Nadolnij, I. (2012). Philosophical and methodological principles for improving the quality of higher education in Ukraine: European dimension. Pedagogichna dumka, 220 p.
- Brdulak, J. (2016). Quality assessment of HEIs in Poland: Problems and recommendations (in Polish) Ocena jakości kształcenia w Polsce – problemy i rekomendacje, Nauka i Szkolnictwo Wyższe, 48(2): 81-94. DOI: 10.14746/nisw.2016.2.4.
- Brockerhoff, Lisa, Huisman, Jeroen, Laufer, Melissa. Quality in higher education: literature review (2015). Resource document. https://www.onderwijsraad.nl/upload/documents/publicaties/volledig/Quality-in-Higher-Education-A-literature-review-1.7.pdf
- Development of the Quality Assurance System for Higher Education in Ukraine: Information and Analytical Review. General edition by Kalashnikova S., Lukhovii V. (2015). Resource document. https://ihed.org.ua/images/biblioteka/Rozvitok_sisitemi_zabesp_yakosti_VO_UA_2015.pdf
- Godłów-Legiędź, J. (2016) Polish Higher Education in Transition and Quality of Education (in Polish). Studia Prawno-ekonomiczne, t. XCVIII, 2016. PL ISSN 0081-6841 s. 197–219.
- Gos W. (2015). The Quality of Education at Universities – the Voice in Discussion (in Polish). FOLIA Pomeranae Universitatis Technologiae Stetinensis, Folia Pomer. Univ. Technol. Stetin., Oeconomica 2015, 319(79)2, 69–76.
- Gulo, V., Levkivs’kyi, K., Kotolovetc’, L. (2013). Methodical recommendations on the development of components of standards of higher education (competence approach). Resource document. http://sumdu.edu.ua/images/stories/gen_info/structure/methodical/Methodical_references.pdf.
- Improving quality, enhancing creativity: Change processes in European higher education institutions final report of the quality assurance for the higher education change agenda (QAHECA) PROJECT. – EUA Publications (2009). Resource document. http://www.eua. be/eua-work-andpolicy-area/quality-assurance/qaheca. аspx.
- Krasyl`nykova, G. (2015). Monitoring of the quality of professional training of engineers of the garment industry at a higher educational establishment: theoretical and methodical principles. Khmelnyczkyj National University, 543 p.
- Kwiatkowska, Sujka I., Socha, M., Polish Accreditation Committee. (2016). Enhancing internal quality assurance systems. Country report: Poland. Resource document. http://files.clickweb.home.pl/homepl42655/file/r2countryreport-poland.pdf.
- Law of Ukraine “On Education”. (2017). Resource document. http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2145-19.
- Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education”. (2014). Resource document. http:// www.vnz.org.ua/zakonodavstvo/ 111-zakon-ukrayiny-pro-vyschu-osvitu.
- Mazurkiewicz, Mariusz. (2016). Quality Assurance in Higher Education Institutions in Ukraine through the prism of European Guidelines and Standards ESG 2015. Resource document. https://depot.ceon.pl/bitstream/handle/123456789/11264/publication_1p.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.
- Parri, J. (2006). Quality in Higher Education. Management. 2, 107–111.
- Reform of higher education in Ukraine: the implementation of the profile law in 2014-2016. Resource document. http://parlament.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/HE-shadow-report-final.pdf.
- Schindler, L., Puls-Elvidge, S., Welzant, H., Crawford, L. (2015). Definitions of Quality in Higher Education: A Synthesis of the Literature. Resource document. https://www.hlrcjournal.com/index.php/HLRC/article/view/244/217.
- Selesneva, N. (2002). Quality of higher education as a systemic research object: lecture-report. Resource document. http://misis.ru/Portals/0/IKVO/Selezneva/link_A_selezneva.pdf.
- Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area (ESG). (2015). Resource document. http://www.enqa.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ESG_2015.pdf.
- Sursock, A. (2015). Trends 2015: Learning and Teaching in European Universities, European University Association, Brussels, Belgium.
- Vernydub, R. (2015). Providing European standards of quality of higher education. Resource document. http://www.ird.npu.edu.ua/files/vernudyb_12.pdf.
- Zvonnikov, V., Chelyshkova, M. (2009). Quality control of certification at certification (competency approach). Universitetskaya kniga, 272 p.