, Professor, Nova Southeastern University, USA
, PhD, Professor of Marketing, Liverpool John Moores University, UK; Head of the Management Department at Centre for Commerce and Management RMIT, Vietnam
, PhD, Professor of Marketing, Liverpool John Moores University, UK; external examiner with Teesside University, and the University of Staffordshire, UK; a visiting Professor in Marketing at the Institute of International Studies, Ramkhamhaeng University, Thailand
, PhD, Associate Professor in the Sociobehavioral and Administrative Pharmacy Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy, USA
, Professor, Nova Southeastern University, USA
This paper focuses on the relationship between two important business indices: the degree to which a country’s business is centrally regulated, and the level of business corruption perceived in that country. The main purpose and methodology is to analyze the data from 47 globally dispersed countries based on the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Product and Market Regulation Index and Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index from 2013. The statistical methodology using regression analysis demonstrates that there is a significant negative relationship between levels of perceived corruption and levels of regulation. This paper empirically confirms that corruption tends to increase with low levels of regulations. The results of this study can be useful for policy makers, managers, and research; as such, the authors provide appropriate recommendations for policy-makers and business leaders. While there are examples from several countries in this paper, the authors provide many sources and literature from the United States as most readers can easily relate to them. The limitations of the study and suggestions for future research are also stated.
Overall, the findings of this study show that more product market regulation is a significant factor in demonstrating less perceived corruption for the 47 countries selected for this research. Our results demonstrate that countries with high levels of regulation have low perceived levels of corruption. In this focused empirical study, the authors found that more regulation is associated with less perceived corruption. So, what explanations might be advanced? Perhaps the answer lies in the ability of business regulation to actually make a difference in the level of corruption, even presuming there is a desire to do so. If we assume it is desirable to reduce the level of corporate corruption, and that one of the mechanisms to achieve this objective is through sensible business regulation, this study has demonstrated that countries with high levels of regulation seems to have low perceived levels of corruption.
Keywords: corruption perceptions, regulation, product market regulation, OECD Product, CPI, poverty.
JEL Classification: D73, L51, M31, I32.
Cite as: Mujtaba, B. G., McClelland, B., Williamson, P., Khanfar, N., Cavico, F. J. (2018). An Analysis of the Relationship between Regulatory Control and Corruption based on Product and Market Regulation and Corruption Perceptions Indices. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(3), 6-20. DOI: 10.21272/bel.2(3).6-20.2018
- Anand, G., & Kumar, H. (2016, Novemeber 8). Narendra Modi Bans India’s Largest Currency Bills in Bid to Cut Corruption. The New York Times, Retrieved from: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/business/india-bans-largest-currency-bills-for-now-n-bid-to-cut-corruption.html.
- Balkan, B., & Tumen, S. (2016). Immigration and prices: Quasi-experimental evidence from Syrian refugees in turkey. Journal of Population Economics, 29(3), 657-686.
- Barker, J. M. (2016, April 1). FBAR compliance. Journal of Accountancy. Retrieved from: http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2016/apr/fbar-compliance.html.
- Cavico, F. J. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2015). JP Morgan Recruitment Practices in China: Legal Networking or Illegal Bribery. Open Law and Ethics Journal, 1, 30-37.
- Cavico, F. J. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2014). Legal Challenges for the Global Manager and Entrepreneur (Second Edition). Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.
- Cavico, Frank J. (2014). Corporate Social Responsibility and Leadership. Florida: ILEAD Academy.
- Cavico, F. J., Mujtaba, B. G., and Muffler, S. C. (2014). Criminal Background Checks in Employment: An Unfolding Legal Quandary for Employers. Journal of Law and Criminal Justice, 2(1), 41-103.
- Cavico, F. J. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2010). Baksheesh or Bribe: Payment to Government Officials and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 2(1), 83-105.
- Cavico, F. J. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2009). Business Ethics: The Moral Foundation for Effective Leadership, Management, and Entrepreneurship (2nd Edition). New York: Pearson Education.
- Center for American Progress (2015). Vietnamese Factsheet. Retrieved 2/10/2017 from: https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/AAPI-Vietnamese-factsheet.pdf.
- Drug Enforcement Agency (2016, August 11). DEA Announces Actions Related to Marijuana and Industrial Hemp. Retrieved from drug enforcement administration: DEA Announces Actions Related to Marijuana and Industrial Hemp.
- Encyclopedia of the American Foreign Relations (2017). The Vietnam War and Its Impact – Refugees and “boat people”. Retrieved 2/10/2017 from: http://www.americanforeignrelations.com/O-W/The-Vietnam-War-and-Its-Impact-Refugees-and-boat-people.html.
- Goodman, P., Gough, N., Wee, S., & Ewig, J. (2017, January 25). Trump’s Tough Trade Talk Could Damage American Factories. The New York Times. Retrieved from: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/business/economy/trump-manufacturing-jobs-world-trade-china.html.
- Hill, C. W. (2013). International business: Competing in the global marketplace (9th ed). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Huang, C., Mujtaba, G. B., Cavico, F., and Sims, R. L. (2006). Ethics and Executives: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Japan, Taiwan, and the United States. International Business and Economics Research Journal, 5(7), 9-22.
- Ikwukananne, I. I, and Mujtaba, B. G (2013). An Institutional and Architecture Based View of Corruption in Nigeria: An Analysis of a Developing Economy’s Formal and Informal Structures. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 4(4), 230-239.
- Levine, Mike and Thomas, Pierre (Nov. 6, 2013). Embassy Officer Admits Taking $3M in Bribes for Visas. ABC News. Retrieved on February 10, 2017 from: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/embassy-officer-admits-taking-3m-bribes-visas/story?id=20807987
- Luthans, F. and Doh, J. P. (2015). International Management: Culture, Strategy, and Behavior (9th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Mujtaba, B. G. (2014). Managerial Skills and Practices for Global Leadership. ILEAD Academy: Florida.
- Mujtaba, B.G. (2013). Ethnic Diversity, Distrust and Corruption in Afghanistan: Reflections on the Creation of an Inclusive Culture. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 32(3), 245-261.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Cavico, F. J. and Senathip, T. (2016). Managing Stereotypes toward American Muslims in the Modern Workplace through Legal Training, Diversity Assessments and Audits. Journal of Human Resources Management and Labor Studies, 4(1), 1-45.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Williamson, P., Cavico, F. J., and McClelland, B. (2013). Managing the link between Bribery and Wealth based on Corruption Perception Index (CPI) and Gross National Product (GNP) per Capita. Journal of Management Policy and Practice, 14(3), 100-115.
- Mujtaba, B. G., McClelland, B., Cavico, F. J., Williamson, P. (2013). A Study of Bribery and Wealth in the ASEAN Community Based on the Corruption Perception Index Scores and GNP per Capita. International Journal of Management, IT and Engineering, 3(1), 576-597.
- Mujtaba, B. G. and Sims, R. (2011). Gender differences in managerial attitudes towards unearned privilege and favoritism in the retail sector. Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, 23(3), 205-217.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Tajaddini, R. and Chen, L. Y. (2011a). Business Ethics Perceptions of Public and Private Sector Iranians. Journal of Business Ethics, 104(3), 433-447.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Tajaddini, R., and Chen, L. Y. (2011b). Perceptions of Ethics by Public and Private Sector Iranians. Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 1(2), 104-118.
- Mujtaba, B. G. and Sims, R.L. (2006). Socializing Retail Employees in Ethical Values: The Effectiveness of the Formal versus Informal Methods. Journal of Business and Psychology, 21(2), 261-272.
- Ngo, P. T., Fisher, G., and Mujtaba, B. G. (2014). Ethical decision-making of banking and finance professionals and students. Asian Journal of Business Ethics, 3(2), 141-153.
- Office of National Drug Control. (2012, Feb 7). Marijuana Resource Center. Retrieved from The White House: https://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/marijuanainfo.
- Plipat, Srirak (2015). Corruption Perceptions Index 2015. Transparency International. Retrieved on February 10, 2017 from: www.transparency.org/cpi.
- ProCon (2016, Novemeber 9). 28 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC. Retrieved from ProCon.Org: http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881.
- ProCon.org (2016, November 9). 28 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC. Retrieved from ProCon.org: http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881.
- Salas, Alejandro (2015). Corruption Perceptions Index 2015. Transparency International. Retrieved on February 10, 2017 from: www.transparency.org/cpi.
- Shah, A. (2014, September 4). Corruption. Retrieved January 27, 2017 from: http://www.globalissues.org/article/590/corruption.
- Singh, R. K. (2016, 11 8). India Abolishes 500 and 1,000 Rupee Notes to Fight Corruption. Retrieved from Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-08/india-abolishes-inr500-1-000-rupee-notes-to-fight-corruption.
- Tajaddini, R., Mujtaba, B. G., and Bandenezhad, M. (2009). Management Skills of Iranians: a Comparison of Technical, Human and Conceptual Differences based on Gender, Age and Longevity in Management Ranks. Labour and Management in Development, 10(1), 1-18.
- Tumen, S. (2016). The economic impact of Syrian refugees on host countries: Quasi-experimental evidence from turkey. The American Economic Review, 106(5), 456-460.
- UBS (2016). Global capabilities. Retrieved from UBS AG: https://www.ubs.com/global/en.html.
- Udechukwu, I. I. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2007). Determining the probability that an employee will stay or leave the organization: a mathematical and theoretical model for organizations. Human Resource Development Review, 6(2), 164-184.
- Ugaz, Jose (2015). Not one single country, anywhere in the world, is corruption free. In Corruption Perceptions Index 2015. Transparency International. Retrieved on February 10, 2017 from: www.transparency.org/cpi.
- Uwimana, Chantal (2015). Corruption Perceptions Index 2015. Transparency International. Retrieved on February 10, 2017 from: www.transparency.org/cpi.
- Zughayar, Ghada (2015). Corruption Perceptions Index 2015. Transparency International. Retrieved on February 10, 2017 from: www.transparency.org/cpi.
- Wochit News (August 15, 2015). U.S. Diplomat Gets Five Years for Vietnam-U.S. Visa Scheme. YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJselZBaTnc.
- Wood , R. W. (2016, October 19). Beware More FBAR And FATCA Reporting Changes. Retrieved from Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/10/19/beware-more-fbar-and-fatca-reporting-changes/#26e7248d1119.