, PhD Candidate, University Kuala Lumpur Business School, University Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
, PhD Candidate, Department of Business Strategy and Policy, Faculty of Business and Accountancy, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
, PhD Candidate, Department of Management Technology, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
, Lecturer, Department of Management, Sunway University Business School, Sunway University, Malaysia
Nowadays human resources are focused more to gain competitive advantage. Human resource practices are used for staffing and keeping employees, but they alone are not enough. Good human resource management practices do not work unless the universities get all possible information about their customers and competitors in their competitive market environment. Since the competition worldwide becomes so high, organizations, universities, institutes require strong teams and those teams in each place should be highly committed. This is a conceptual paper based on the past literature review and underpins theories to discuss the impact of the selected human resource factors and organizational factors on retention of core lecturers of Malaysian private universities. The main purpose of this paper is to suggest and develop a new framework that emphasizes the reducing turnover intentions by taking into consideration the components of market orientations, which include customer analysis and competitor analysis. This paper will help the policymakers, the human resource personnel to develop better human resource policy to retain the core employees.
Keywords: human resource practices, market orientation, turnover intention, core lecturers, private universities.
JEL Classification: J24, M31, J63.
Cite as: Qureshi, Z. H., Al Halbusi, H., Pitafi, S., Tehseen, S. (2018). A Conceptual Study of HRM Practices and Market Orientation on Lecturer’s Retention: A Case Study of Malaysian Universities. Business Ethics and Leadership, 2(3), 44-52. DOI: 10.21272/bel.2(3).44-52.2018
- Ambrosius, J. (2018). Strategic talent management in emerging markets and its impact on employee retention: Evidence from Brazilian MNCs. Thunderbird International Business Review, 60(1), 53-68.
- Amin, M. (2002). Tinjauan terhadap budaya pengurusan organisasi dan hubungan dengan hasilan perlakuan: Satu kajian kes di LandG, Master of Science thesis, Twintech Institute of Technology, Selangor.
- Arthur, J. B. (1994). Effects of human resource systems on manufacturing performance and turnover. Academy of Management Journal, 37(3), 670-687.
- Becker, B., Gerhart, B. (1996). The Impact of Human Resource Management on Organizational Performance: Progress and Prospects. The Academy of management Journal, 39(4), 779-801.
- Beer, M. (1997). The transformation of the human resource function: Resolving the tension between a traditional administrative and a new strategic role. Human Resource Management, 36(1), 49-56.
- Breuer, L. Nancy (2000). Even in high turnover industries, not everyone’s a quitter, Retrieved from www.workforce.com/archive/feature/22/24/42/index.php.
- Cano, C.R, Carrillat, F.A., Jaramillo, F. (2004). A meta-analysis of the relationship between market orientation and business performance: evidence from five countries. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 21(2), 179-200.
- Caruana, A., Ramaseshan, B., and Ewing, M. T. (1998). Do universities that are more market orientated perform better? International journal of public sector management, 11(1), 55-70.
- Caruana, A., Ramaseshan, B., and Ewing, M. T. (1998). The market orientation-performance link: some evidence from the public sector and universities. Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Marketing, 6(1), 63-82.
- Darougheha, S., Pashandi, A.M., Hooman, A., Khanmohammadi, M. (2013). The impact of HR practices on Lecturers’ Turnover Intention: A study of educational industry in Malaysia. Interdisciplinary journal of contemporary research in business, 4(9), 958–967. Retrieved from http://journal-archieves27.webs.com/958-967.pdf.
- Davies, R. (2001). How to boost staff retention. In people management, 7(8), 54-55.
- Dawes, J. (2000). Market orientation and company profitability: further evidence, incorporating longitudinal data. Australian Journal of Management, 25(2), 173-199.
- Deery, M., and Jago, L. (2015). Revisiting talent management, work-life balance and retention strategies. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 27(3), 453-472.
- Delaney, J. and Huseild, M. (1996). The impact of human resource management practices on perceptions of organizational performance. Academy of Management Journal, 39, 949-969.
- Doyle, P. (1995). Marketing in the new millennium. European Journal of Marketing, 29(13), 23-41.
- Fairholm, G.W. (1991). Values, Leadership: Toward a New Philosophy of Leadership, Praeger, New York, NY.
- Fairholm, G.W. (1997). Capturing the Heart of Leadership: Spirituality and Community in the New American Workplace, Praeger, Westport, CT.
- Ferris, G. R., Hochwarter, W. A., Buckley, M. R., Harrell-Cook, G., and Frink, D. D. (1999). Human resources management: Some new directions. Journal of Management, 25(3), 385-415.
- Fitz-enz, J. (1990). Getting and keeping good employees. In personnel, 67(8), 25-28.
- Flavián, C., and Lozano, J. (2006). Organisational antecedents of market orientation in the public university system. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 19(5), 447-467.
- Grinstein, A. (2008). The relationships between market orientation and alternative strategic orientations: a meta-analysis. European Journal of Marketing, 42(1/2), 115-134.
- Hampton, G. M., Wolk, M., Albinsson, P. A., and McQuitty, S. (2009). Market orientation and professionalism in higher education. Academy of Educational Leadership Journal, 13(1), 87-102.
- Hausknecht, John P., Rodda, Julianne, Howard, Michael J. (2009). Targeted employee retention: Performance-based and job-related differences in reported reasons for staying. Human Resource Management, 48(2), 269-288.
- Hays, S. W., and Kearney, R. C. (2001). Anticipated changes in human resource management: Views from the field. Public Administration Review, 61(5), 585-597.
- Hong, E. N. C., Ramendran, C., Hao, L. Z., Kumar, R., and Kadiresan, V. (2012). An Effectiveness of Human Resource Management Practices on Employee Retention in Institute of Higher learning: − A Regression Analysis. International Journal of Business Research and Management (IJBRM), 3(2), 60–79.
- Hussain, T., and Rehman, S. S. (2013). Do human resource management practices inspire employees’ retention? Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology, 6(19), 3625-3633.
- Jackson, S. E., and Schuler, R. S. (1995). Understanding human resource management in the context of organizations and their environments. Strategic Human Resource Management, 46, 237-264.
- Jins, Joy P., Radhakrishnan, R.(2012). Changing Jobs: Influencing Factors. SCMS Journal of Indian Management, 9(1), 59-68.
- Jogaratnam, G. (2017). The effect of market orientation, entrepreneurial orientation and human capital on positional advantage: evidence from the restaurant industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 60, 104-113.
- Kavitha, S. R., Geetha, S. R., Arunachalam, V. (2011). An Empirical Study on Employee Retention Strategies in a Biscuit Manufacturing Company in India. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3(4), 762-772.
- Kirca, A. H., Jayachandran, S., and Bearden, W. O. (2005). Market orientation: a meta-analytic review and assessment of its antecedents and impact on performance. Journal of marketing, 69(2), 24-41.
- Koch, M. J., and McGrath, R. I. T. A. (1996). Improving labor productivity: Human resource management policies do matter. Strategic Management Journal, 17(5), 335-354.
- Kohli, A. K., and Jaworski, B. J. (1990). Market orientation: the construct, research propositions, and managerial implications. The Journal of Marketing, 54(2), 1-18.
- Kouzes, J.M., Posner, B.Z. (1987). The Leadership Challenge, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA.
- Lenn, M. P. (2000). Higher education and the global marketplace: A practical guide to sustaining quality. On the Horizon, September/October, 7-10.
- M’zungu, S., Merrilees, B., and Miller, D. (2017). Strategic hybrid orientation between market orientation and brand orientation: guiding principles. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 25(4), 275-288.
- MacDuffie, J. P. (1995). Human resource bundles and manufacturing performance: Organizational logic and flexible production systems in the world auto industry. Industrial and labor relations review, 48, 197-221.
- Mintzberg, H. (1977). The Nature of Managerial Work, Harper and Row, New York, NY.
- Morris, D., Yaacob, A., and Wood, G. (2004). Attitudes towards pay and promotion in the Malaysian higher educational sector. Employee Relations, 26(2), 137–150. Doi:10.1108/01425450410511052.
- Narver, J. C., and Slater, S. F. (1990). The effect of a market orientation on business profitability. The Journal of Marketing, 54(4), 20-35.
- Oakland, S., and Oakland, J. S. (2001). Current people management activities in world-class organizations. Total Quality Management, 12(6), 773-788.
- Perry-Smith, J. E., and Blum, T. C. (2000). Work-family human resource bundles and perceived organizational performance. Academy of Management Journal, 43(6), 1107-1117.
- Pfeffer, J. (1996). Competitive advantage through people: Unleashing the power of the work force. Harvard Business Press.
- Pfeffer, J. (1998). The Human Equation. Journal Business, 13(2), 55.
- Qu, R. (2009). The impact of market orientation and corporate social responsibility on firm performance: evidence from China. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 21(4), 570-582.
- Rosdi, I. S., and Harris, H. (2011). Human resource management practices and organizational commitment : the case of academics in a Malaysian higher education institution. 2nd international conference on business and economic research (2nd icber 2011) proceeding (pp. 1155–1173).
- Shoham, A., Rose, G. M., and Kropp, F. (2005). Market orientation and performance: a meta-analysis. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 23(5), 435-454.
- Siron, A. (2005). Komitmen pensyarah Institusi pendidikan swasta bertaraf universiti terhadap organisasi, Tesis kedoktoran falsafah, UPM, Serdang.
- Snell, S. A., and Dean Jr, J. W. (1992). Integrated manufacturing and human resource management: A human capital perspective. Academy of Management journal, 467-504.
- Snell, S. A., and Youndt, M. A. (1995). Human resource management and firm performance: Testing a contingency model of executive controls. Journal of Management, 21(4), 711-737.
- Solomon, C.M. (1992). The loyalty factor. Personnel journal, 52, 32-37.
- Tsui, A. S., Pearce, J. L., Porter, L. W., and Tripoli, A. M. (1997). Alternative approaches to the employee-organization relationship: does investment in employees pay off? Academy of Management Journal, 1089-1121.
- Van Berkel, R., Ingold, J., McGurk, P., Boselie, P., and Bredgaard, T. (2017). Editorial introduction: An introduction to employer engagement in the field of HRM. Blending social policy and HRM research in promoting vulnerable groups’ labour market participation. Human Resource Management Journal, 27(4), 503-513.
- Webster, R.L., Hammond, K.L. (2008), Does a market orientation strategy exist toward business school students? A view from three levels of academic administrators. Academy of Marketing Studies Journal, 12(2), 19-33.
- Wright, P. M., McMahan, G. C., and McWilliams, A. (1994). Human resources and sustained competitive advantage: a resource-based perspective. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 5(2), 301-326.
- Yamamoto, H. (2011). The relationship between employee benefit management and employee retention. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22(17), 3550-3564.
- Yussof, I., Ismail, R., and Osman, Z. (2011). Workers’ Competency, Performance and Competitiveness in Malaysia’s Private Education Sector. Jurnal Ekonomi Malaysia, 45, 61–70.
- Zebal, M. A., and Goodwin, D. R. (2012). Market orientation and performance in private universities. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 30(3), 339-357.