, PhD, Senior Lecturer, Department of Entrepreneurship, McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Eller School of Management, University of Arizona, USA
, PhD, Pompeu Fabra University; Independent Researcher, Spain
, MSc in Marketing and Management Sciences, Adolfo Ibañez University; Chief Operations Manager at Mercer; Adjunct Professor, Finis Terrae University and Adolfo Ibañez University, Chile
Previous research on Goal Orientation (GO) and Social Value Orientation (SVO) examined and found relationships between performance and each construct. This study is built on GO and SVO literature and proposes that there is a relationship between the tendency to adopt learning or performance goals and social value orientations and that both constructs jointly influence team performance. Two sets of participants were asked to answer scales about GO, SVO, and Team Performance. Structural equation models tested the hypotheses. Goal and social value orientations are closely related. Individuals with a higher performance orientation tend to be more proself and do not significantly relate to team performance. On the other hand, a higher learning orientation significantly increases team performance. Among prosocials, those who tend to adopt performance goals are more likely to be motivated by joint outcome maximization. The more learning oriented a prosocial individual is, the more likely the individual is to increase team performance. Further experimental studies with different team compositions could bring new insights into performance. Organizations can increase team performance by managing incentives in a way that fosters learning goals and a prosocial orientation. This study brings further understanding of the performance construct. To our knowledge, this is the first study that measures both goal and social value orientation, as well as their joint relationship with team performance.
Keywords: Social Value Orientation; Goal Orientation; Team Performance.
JEL Classification: A13, Z13, L1.
Cite as: Alsua, C.J., Palacios-Fenech, J., Ramirez, J. (2019). Social Preferences, Goal Orientation and Team Performance. Business Ethics and Leadership, 3(1), 6-17. http://doi.org/10.21272/bel.3(1).6-17.2019.
- Akgün, A.E., Lynn, G.S., Yılmaz, C. (2006). Learning process in new product development teams and effects on product success: A socio-cognitive perspective. Industrial Marketing Management, 35, 210-224.
- Alper, S., Tjosvold, D., Law, K.S. (1998). Interdependence and controversy in group decision making: Antecedents to effective self-managing teams. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 74, 33-52.
- Alsua, C.J., and Peterson, M. (2019). Your Success is not my Failure: Growth Mindset and Performance in the Entrepreneurial Context. Unpublished manuscript.
- Ames, C. (1992). Classrooms: Goals, structures, and student motivation. Journal of educational psychology, 84, 261.
- Ames, C., Archer, J. (1988). Achievement goals in the classroom: Students’ learning strategies and motivation processes. Journal of educational psychology, 80, 260.
- Badrinarayanan, V., Arnett, D.B. (2008). Effective virtual new product development teams: an integrated framework. Jnl of Bus & Indus Marketing, 23, 242-248.
- Bell, B.S., Kozlowski, W.J. (2002). Goal orientation and ability: Interactive effects on self-efficacy, performance, and knowledge. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87, 497.
- Blake, R.R., Mouton, J.S. (1970). The fifth achievement. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 6, 413-426.
- Boroş, S., Meslec, N., Curşeu, P.L., Emons, W. (2010). Struggles for cooperation: conflict resolution strategies in multicultural groups. Journal of Managerial Psych, 25, 539-554.
- Brett, J.F., VandeWalle, D. (1999). Goal orientation and goal content as predictors of performance in a training program. Journal of Applied Psychology, 84, 863.
- Butler, R. (1993). Effects of task-and ego-achievement goals on information seeking during task engagement. Journal of personality and social psychology, 65, 18.
- Button, S.B., Mathieu, J.E., Zajac, D.M. (1996). Goal orientation in organizational research: A conceptual and empirical foundation. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 67, 26-48.
- Carver, C.S., Scheier, M.F. (1990). Origins and functions of positive and negative affect: a control-process view. Psychological review, 97, 19.
- Cellar, D.F., Stuhlmacher, A.F., Young, S.K., Fisher, D.M., Adair, C.K., Haynes, S., Twichell, E., Arnold, K.A., Royer, K., Denning, B.L., others (2011). Trait goal orientation, self-regulation, and performance: A meta-analysis. Journal of Business and Psychology, 26, 467-483.
- D’Amato, A., Herzfeldt, R. (2008). Learning orientation, organizational commitment and talent retention across generations: A study of European managers. Journal of Managerial Psych, 23, 929-953.
- Dayan, M. (2010). Managerial trust and NPD team performance: team commitment and longevity as mediators. Jnl of Bus & Indus Marketing, 25, 94-105.
- Deci, E.L., Ryan, R.M. (1987). The support of autonomy and the control of behavior. Journal of personality and social psychology, 53, 1024.
- De Cremer, D., Van Lange, P.A. (2001). Why prosocials exhibit greater cooperation than proselfs: The roles of social responsibility and reciprocity. European Journal of Personality, 15, 5-18.
- De Dreu, C.K., Boles, T.L. (1998). Share and share alike or winner take all?: The influence of social value orientation upon choice and recall of negotiation heuristics. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 76, 253-276.
- Duda, J.L., Nicholls, J.G. (1992). Dimensions of achievement motivation in schoolwork and sport. Journal of educational psychology, 84, 290.
- Dweck, C.S. (2000). Self-theories: Their role in motivation, personality, and development. Psychology Press.
- Dweck, C.S. (1986). Motivational processes affecting learning. American psychologist, 41, 1040.
- Dweck, C.S., Leggett, E.L. (1988). A social-cognitive approach to motivation and personality. Psychological review, 95, 256.
- Eek, D., Gärling, T. (2006). Prosocials prefer equal outcomes to maximizing joint outcomes. British Journal of Social Psychology, 45, 321-337.
- Fisher, S.L., Ford, J.K. (1998). Differential effects of learner effort and goal orientation on two learning outcomes. Personnel Psychology, 51, 397-420.
- Gil, F., Rico, R., Alcover, C.M., Barrasa, Á. (2005). Change‐oriented leadership, satisfaction and performance in work groups: Effects of team climate and group potency. Journal of Managerial Psych, 20, 312-328.
- Heyman, G.D., Dweck, C.S. (1992). Achievement goals and intrinsic motivation: Their relation and their role in adaptive motivation. Motivation and emotion, 16, 231-247.
- Kanfer, R. (1990). Motivation theory and industrial and organizational psychology. Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology, 1, 75-130.
- Knight, G.P., Dubro, A.F. (1984). An individualized regression and clustering assessment of the social values of adults and children. Journal of Research in Personality, 18, 372-382.
- Mangos, P.M., Steele-Johnson, D. (2001). The role of subjective task complexity in goal orientation, self-efficacy, and performance relations. Human performance, 14, 169-185.
- McClintock, C.G. (1978). Social values: Their definition, measurement and development. Journal of Research & Development in Education, 12(1), 121-137.
- Messick, D.M., McClintock, C.G. (1968). Motivational bases of choice in experimental games. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 4, 1-25.
- Mone, M.A., McKinley, W., Barker, V.L. (1998). Organizational decline and innovation: A contingency framework. Academy of Management Review, 23, 115-132.
- Murphy, R.O., Ackermann, K.A. (2012). A Review of Measurement Methods for Social Preferences.
- Nauta, A., De Dreu, C.K., Van Der Vaart, T. (2002). Social value orientation, organizational goal concerns and interdepartmental problem-solving behavior. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 23, 199-213.
- Nicholls, J.G. (1984). Achievement motivation: Conceptions of ability, subjective experience, task choice, and performance. Psychological review, 91, 328.
- Nicholls, J.G. (1983). Task involvement in music, in: Motivation and Creativity. Ann Arbor Symposium, Session III. pp. 1-4.
- Osagie, E. R., Wesselink, R., Runhaar, P., & Mulder, M. (2018). Unraveling the competence development of corporate social responsibility leaders: The importance of peer learning, learning goal orientation, and learning climate. Journal of Business Ethics, 151(4), 891-906.
- Palacios-Fenech, J., Ramirez, J. and Schnelker, C. (2017). The Peacepath of the Rainbow Warriors: Prosocial Orientation. Journal of Transpersonal Research, 9(2), 100-112.
- Parks, C.D., Joireman, J., Lange, P.A.M.V. (2013). Cooperation, Trust, and Antagonism How Public Goods Are Promoted. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 14, 119-165.
- Potosky, D., Ramakrishna, H.V. (2002). The moderating role of updating climate perceptions in the relationship between goal orientation, self-efficacy, and job performance. Human Performance, 15, 275-297.
- Pruitt, D.G. (1967). Reward structure and cooperation: the decomposed Prisoner’s Dilemma game. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 7, 21.
- Roberson, L., Alsua, C.J. (2002). Moderating effects of goal orientation on the negative consequences of gender-based preferential selection. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 87, 103-135.
- Rodgers, G.D. (1990). Strategic Planning and Sales Teams. Jnl of Bus & Indus Marketing, 5, 65-70.
- Roth, A.E. (1986). Laboratory experimentation in economics. Economics and Philosophy, 2, 245-273.
- Rubin, J.Z., Pruitt, D.G., Kim, S.H. (1994). Social conflict: Escalation, stalemate, and settlement. Mcgraw-Hill Book Company.
- Seifriz, J.J., Duda, J.L., Chi, L. (1992). The relationship of perceived motivational climate to intrinsic motivation and beliefs about success in basketball. Journal of sport and exercise psychology, 14, 375- 391.
- Smith, C.A., Organ, D.W., Near, J.P. (1983). Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and antecedents. Journal of applied psychology, 68, 653.
- Thomas, K.W. (1992). Conflict and conflict management: Reflections and update. Journal of organizational behavior, 13, 265-274.
- Tomas M. Hult, G., Nichols, E.L. (1999). A study of team orientation in global purchasing. Jnl of Bus & Indus Marketing, 14, 194-212.
- Tuckey, M., Brewer, N., Williamson, P. (2002). The influence of motives and goal orientation on feedback seeking. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 75, 195-216.
- VandeWalle, D., Brown, S.P., Cron, W.L., Slocum Jr, J.W. (1999). The influence of goal orientation and self-regulation tactics on sales performance: A longitudinal field test. Journal of Applied Psychology, 84, 249.
- VandeWalle, D., Cron, W.L., Slocum Jr, J.W. (2001). The role of goal orientation following performance feedback. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 629.
- VandeWalle, D., Cummings, L.L. (1997). A test of the influence of goal orientation on the feedback-seeking process. Journal of applied psychology, 82, 390.
- VandeWalle, D.M. (1996). Are our students trying to prove or improve their ability? Development and validation of an instrument to measure academic goal orientation, in: Academy of Management National Meeting, Cincinnati, OH.
- Van Dick, R., Stellmacher, J., Wagner, U., Lemmer, G., Tissington, P.A. (2009). Group membership salience and task performance. Journal of Managerial Psych, 24, 609-626. doi:10.1108/02683940910989011.
- Van Lange, P.A. (1999). The pursuit of joint outcomes and equality in outcomes: An integrative model of social value orientation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77, 337.
- Van Lange, P.A., Liebrand, W.B. (1991). Social value orientation and intelligence: A test of the goal prescribes rationality principle. European journal of social psychology, 21, 273-292.
- Van Lange, P.A.M., Bekkers, R., Chirumbolo, A., Leone, L. (2012). Are Conservatives Less Likely to be Prosocial than Liberals? From Games to Ideology, Political Preferences and Voting. European Journal of Personality, 26, 461-473.
- Van Lange, P.A.M., Joireman, J., Parks, C.D., Van Dijk, E. (2013). The psychology of social dilemmas: A review. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 120, 125-141.
- Verkuyten, M., Thijs, J., Canatan, K. (2001). Achievement motivation and academic performance among Turkish early and young adolescents in the Netherlands. Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, 127, 378.
- Von Neumann, J., Morgenstern, O. (2007). Theory of games and economic behavior. Princeton university press.
- Wageman, R., Hackman, J.R., Lehman, E. (2005). Team diagnostic survey development of an instrument. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 41, 373-398.
- Welbourne, T.M. (1997). Pay for what performance? Lessons from firms using the role-based performance scale.
- Wood, R., Bandura, A. (1989). Impact of conceptions of ability on self-regulatory mechanisms and complex decision-making. Journal of personality and social psychology, 56, 407.