Olena Buchynska, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2991-2110
PhD in Economics, Associate Professor, Department of Marketing, Kyiv National Economic University, Ukraine
Olena Davlikanova, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8536-3959
Doctoral Candidate, Project Coordinator, Friedrich Ebert Foundation, Office in Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
Helmut Hofstetter, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7263-2520
Professor, Berlin School of Economics & Law, Berlin, Germany
Iryna Lylyk, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4748-5407
PhD in Economics, Associate Professor, President of the Ukrainian Marketing Association, Kyiv, Ukraine
The article presents the results of the survey conducted among the Ukraine-based companies in 2020 as of their awareness and attitudes to the dual studies (DS) and openness to cooperation with higher educational establishments. After six years of activities aimed at establishing grounds for the adaptation of the German dual studies models conducted by the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Office in Ukraine (FES-Ukraine) and its partners, including the Ukrainian Marketing Association (UMA), the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (MES) launched a pilot project on dual studies introduction in 2019 (MES Order #1296). The first year of the experiment covered partnerships of 44 pre-tertiary and tertiary educational establishments with around 100 Ukraine-based companies. In 2020 FES-Ukraine and UMA in cooperation with the Federation of Metallurgy Workers of Ukraine and HR Volunteer Association, have conducted a study among two groups of employers – those that represent partner-companies engaged in the project and those not involved into the experiment on the DS introduction. This article presents the results of the survey among the second group of employers. It allowed not only to study the level of awareness and attitude of the employers to DS but to inform companies not involved into the experiment about the initiative that might result in amendments to the list of the experiment participants in the Order #1296 and enlargement of the number of dual studies cooperation cases. The authors’ questionnaire survey was carried out from May to September 2020 in the format of phone-interviews. The respondents included 400 Ukraine-based companies representing big, medium and small businesses from all the Ukrainian regions apart from the occupied territories of Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. The findings show that a wide information campaign is needed to raise the employers’ awareness of the opportunities provided by the dual studies, which is being successfully adapted and integrated in the Ukrainian tertiary education. Therefore, the data obtained is a source of information for recommendations to the stakeholders (especially, policy-makers, employers and their associations) aimed at promoting further cooperation of higher educational establishments and Ukraine-based companies, thus, establishing framework for investments into the training of workforce as a prerequisite of companies’ compatibility and the growth of not only individual economic actors, but the national economy. The FES-Ukraine funded the research.
Keywords: Dual Higher Education, Dual Form of Education, Dual Studies, Dual Study Models, Employers, Higher Educational Institutions, Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Pilot Project, Students, Tertiary Education.
JEL Classification: I20, I23.
Cite as: Buchynska, O., Davlikanova, O., Hofstetter, H., Lylyk, L. (2020). The Ukraine-Based Employers’ Awareness of Dual Studies and Willingness to Engage into the Implementation of Education Innovations. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(3), 137-144. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.4(3).137-144.2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Andrews, G., Russell, M. (2012). Employability skills development: strategy, evaluation and impact. Higher Education. Skills and Work-Based Learning, 2(1), 33-44. https://doi.org/10.1108/20423891211197721.
- Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung (2017). Empfehlung des Hauptausschusses des Bundesinstituts für Berufsbildung. Positionspapier der BIBB-Hauptausschuss AG zum dualen Studium [Recommendation of the Central Committee of the Federal Institute for Professional Education. Position paper on the Dual Study]. Available at: https://www.bibb.de/dokumente/pdf/HA169-Akkreditierung.pdf.
- Bundesinstitut für Berufsbildung (2020). Duales Studium in Zahlen 2019 [Dual studies in Numbers 2019]. Available at: https://www.bibb.de/dokumente/pdf/06072020_AiZ_dualesStudium-2019.pdf.
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (2018). Concept of Specialists’ Training under the Dual Form of Education\Studies. Available at: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/660-2018-%D1%80#Text.
- Davlikanova, O., Ischenko, T., Chaikovska, A. (2020). Analytical report on the results of the first year of the experiment on the dual studies introduction in the pre-tertiary and tertiary educational establishments. – FES-Ukraine. Available at: http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/ukraine/16469.pdf
- Dimako, A. (2018). Dual studies: a slightly different training-on-the-job. Available at: https://newinbw.de/dual-studies-training-on-job/.
- Ertl, H. (2020). Dual study programmes in Germany: blurring the boundaries between higher education and vocational training? Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/03054985.2019.1687438.
- Giannelli, N., Sergi, V. (2017). Employability as a policy goal of the dual training system school-work of internship in Italian high schools, with a look at the German model. Available at: http://www.econ.uniurb.it/RePEc/urb/wpaper/WP_17_02.pdf.
- Graf, L., Powell, J., Fortwengel, J., Bernhard, N. (2014). Dual Study Programmes in Global Context: Internationalisation in Germany and Transfer to Brazil, France, Qatar, Mexico and the US/Duale Studiengänge im globalen Kontext: Internationalisierung in Deutschland und Transfer nach Brasilien, Frankreich, Katar, Mexiko und in die USA. Available at: link.
- Graf, L. (2014). Growing in a Niche Dual Study Programs Contribute to Change in Germany’s Higher Education. Available at: https://orbilu.uni.lu/bitstream/10993/17869/1/Graf2014_DualStudyProgramsGrowingInANiche.pdf.
- Hofmann, S., Hemkes, B., Leo-Joyce, S., König, M., Kutzner, P. (2020). AusbildungPlus in Zahlen. Duales Studium 2019. Trends und Analysen [EducationPlus in Numbers. Dual studies 2019. Trends and Analyses]. BiBB. Available at: https://www.bibb.de/dokumente/pdf/06072020_AiZ_dualesStudium-2019.pdf.
- Maschke, K. (2015). Das duale Studium als Exportmodell [Dual studies as an Export Model]. DAAD. Available at: https://www2.daad.de/medien/der-daad/analysen-studien/final_blickpunkt_duales_studium.pdf.
- Nolting, T., Beedgen, R. (2013). Rethinking the relation between higher education and employment – The dual study system of the Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University as a new way of integrating theory and practice. Available at: http://wwww.pef.uni-lj.si/fileadmin/Datoteke/Mednarodna/conference/wher/after/nolting-proceedings.pdf.
- Pfeifer, H., Wenzelmann, F. (2020). Kosten und Nutzen der betrieblichen Ausbildung 2017/18 [Costs and benefits of the in-Company Training 2017]. BIBB. Available at: https://www.bibb.de/tools/dapro/data/documents/pdf/eb_21316.pdf.
- Powell, J., Fortwengel, J. (2014). Made in Germany – Produced in America? How Dual Vocational Training Programs Can Help Close the Skills Gap in the United States. AICGS Issue Brief, 47. Available at: http://hdl.handle.net/10993/17092.
- Rainie, L., Anderson, J. (2017). The Future of Jobs and Jobs Training. Available at: https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2017/05/03/the-future-of-jobs-and-jobs-training/.
- Rowe, L. (2019). Educating for the modern world: a report review. Journal of Work-Applied Management, 11(1), 5-16. https://doi.org/10.1108/JWAM-06-2019-0014.
- UNESCO (2016). Incheon Declaration and SDG4 – Education 2030 Framework for Action. Available at: https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000245656.
- World Economic Forum (2017). Accelerating Workforce Reskilling for the Fourth Industrial Revolution. An Agenda for Leaders to Shape the Future of Education, Gender and Work. Available at: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_EGW_White_Paper_Reskilling.pdf.
- World Economic Forum (2020). Schools of the Future Defining New Models of Education for the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Available at: https://www.weforum.org/reports/schools-of-the-future-defining-new-models-of-education-for-the-fourth-industrial-revolution.