Post-Graduate student, Sumy State University; Financial Director, “Global-Trade-S” LLC, Sumy, Ukraine
This paper summarizes the arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion on the issue of social housing, existing ethical dilemmas, and business development. The main purpose of the research is to investigate the interest level and popularity dynamics of social and affordable housing in the world in general and in OECD countries. The systematization of literary sources and approaches for solving the problem of ethical and economical aspects of social and affordable housing indicates that there is no single point of view on this issue among scientists. That is why the essence of the concepts of social, affordable, and public housing needs to be clarified considering existing differences. Besides it, comparative analysis of the results of analytical analysis of the interest level and popularity dynamics of social and affordable housing based on Google Trends tools and the results of statistical analysis in this context has not been conducted yet. Investigation of the topic about popularity dynamics of social and affordable housing emphasizing ethical needs and expected business benefits in the paper is carried out in the following logical sequence: systematization and clarification theoretical approaches to determine the essence and the difference between social, public and affordable housing; description of dominant types of funding social and affordable housing; analytical analysis of popularity dynamics of social and affordable housing with the determination of key value picks; statistical analysis of certain social housing indicators; comparing the results and making conclusions. Methodological tools of the research methods were logical generalization and scientific abstraction, statistical and structural analysis, comparative, and graphical analysis using the Excel software. Analytical analysis was realized based on Google Trends tools. The objects of research were the search requests about social, public, and affordable housing in the world in 2004-2021, and the indicators of social housing from the sample of OECD countries and other EU countries (limit in 2018 due to the availability of information on open information portals of The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development). The paper presents the results of analytical, statistical, and comparative analysis of the level of interest (popularity) and development of social and affordable housing. The recommendations according to the coexistence of ethical and entrepreneurial principles can be useful for public and private investors in social and affordable housing.
Keywords: Affordable Housing, Ethical Dilemma, Housing Allowances, Inclusive Economy, Public and Private Investment, Public Housing, Social Housing, Social Rental Dwellings, Subsidies, Tenant.
JEL Classification: A13, O18, R21, R31.
Cite as: Ianchuk, S. (2021). Popularity Dynamics of Social and Affordable Housing: Ethics vs Business. Business Ethics and Leadership, 5(1), 109-117. https://doi.org/10.21272/bel.5(1).109-117.2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Blower D. (2017). Why housing’s new commercialism is good for “ethical careers”. Social Housing. Available at: https://www.socialhousing.co.uk/comment/comment/why-housings-new-commercialism-is-good-for-ethical-careers-49369.
- Causa, O., and Pichelmann, J. (2020). Should I stay or should I go? Housing and residential mobility across OECD countries. OECD Economics Department Working papers №1626, OECD Publishing. Available at: www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=ECO/WKP(2020)34&docLanguage=En.
- Elsinga, M., Hoekstra, J., Sedighi, M., & Taebi, B. (2020). Toward Sustainable and Inclusive Housing: Underpinning Housing Policy as Design for Values. Sustainability, 12(5), 1920. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12051920.
- Finney, D. (2020). Affordable Housing: Investing for Profit. Real Estate Investing Guide. Available at: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/mortgages-real-estate/10/affordable-housing.asp.
- Hausman, D., McPherson, M., Satz, D. (2016). Economic Analysis, Moral Philosophy, and Public Policy. University Press: Cambridge, UK. 418 p. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781316663011.
- Iglesias, T. (2007). Our Pluralist Housing Ethics and the Struggle for Affordability. Wake Forest Law Review, 42, 511-593. Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/49250698_Our_Pluralist_Housing_Ethics_and_the_Struggle_for_Affordability.
- Kerslake, B. (2016). The Business Case for Affordable Housing. The Centre for Economics and Business Research Ltd, London. Available at: https://www.peabody.org.uk/media/10773/business-case-for-affordable-housing.pdf.
- Komelina, O., & Shcherbinina, S. (2018). Methodology of estimation of energy reserves and energy efficiency of the housing fund of Ukraine. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 382-390. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.1-30.
- Lewis, R.K. (2013). Let’s go from “public housing” to “social housing”. The Washington Post. Available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/lets-go-from-public-housing-to-social-housing/2013/05/02/2f96427e-b1a7-11e2-baf7-5bc2a9dc6f44_story.html.
- Murray, K. (2011). A moral maze: can housing sustain its ethical role? The Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2011/nov/07/moral-maze-housing-ethical-role.
- NSW Government (n.d.). About affordable rental housing. Available at: https://www.facs.nsw.gov.au/providers/housing/affordable/about/chapters/how-is-affordable-housing-different-to-social-housing.
- OECD (2018). Affordable Housing Database. Housing Allowances. Available at: http://www.compareyourcountry.org/housing/en/2//datatable/.
- OECD (2018). Affordable Housing Database. Public policies towards affordable housing. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/housing/data/affordable-housing-database/housing-policies.htm.
- OECD (2018). Affordable Housing Database. Social Housing. Available at: http://www.compareyourcountry.org/housing/en/3/all/default.
- OECD (2020). Housing and Inclusive Growth. OECD Publishing, Paris. https://doi.org/10.1787/6ef36f4b-en.
- OECD (2020). Social housing: A key part of past and future housing policy. Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Policy Briefs. OECD, Paris. Available at: http://oe.cd/social-housing-2020.
- OECD (2021). Building for a better tomorrow: Policies to make housing more affordable. Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Policy Briefs. OECD, Paris. Available at: http://oe.cd/affordable-housing-2021.
- OECD Housing Project (n.d.). Affordable housing. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/housing/topics/affordable-housing/.
- Rzayev, A., & Samoilikova, A. (2020). Innovation Financing Structure as a Factor of Economic Growth: Cross Country Analysis. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 133-156. http://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.3-10.
- Salvi del Pero, A. (2016). Policies to promote access to good-quality affordable housing in OECD countries. OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers, 176, OECD Publishing, Paris. https://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5jm3p5gl4djd-en.
- Samoilikova, A.V. (2020). Analiz podatkovoho stymulyuvannya yak skladovoyi finansovoyi polityky zabezpechennya innovatsiynoho rozvytku [Analysis of Tax Incentives as A Component of Financial Policy of Innovative Development]. Scientific bulletin of Polissia, 1(20), 85-91 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.25140/2410-9576-2020-2-1(20)-85-91.
- Sanchez, C. (2020). Poverty and Inequality in Access to Housing in Mexico City During Neoliberalism. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(2), 31-43. https://doi.org/10.21272/sec.4(2).31-43.2020.
- Scanlon, K., Fernández Arrigoitia, M., and Whitehead, C. (2015). Social housing in Europe. European Policy Analysis, Swedish Institute for European Policy Studies. Available at: http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/62938/1/Fernandez_Social%20housing%20in%20Europe_2015.pdf.
- Social housing (n.d.). Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus. Available at: https://dictionary.cambridge.org.
- Social housing (n.d.). Cambridge Business English Dictionary. Available at: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/.