, Dr., prof. of the Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance, Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine
, Assistant of the Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance, Sumy State University, Sumy, Ukraine
The paper evaluates the process of modeling of equilibrium price on the deposit market of Ukraine in the period 2005 – 2016 by means of formalization of the functions of the market supply and demand. By assessing the credit and deposit markets around the world in the period before the crisis and the post-crisis period, we decided to use a multivariate regression analysis to study the deposit market in Ukraine. We formed an input array of 32 independent variables, through which, by means of the method of principal component analysis and correlation analysis, we obtained 7 of the most relevant variables. After that we received two specifications of the models of supply and demand, which were conferred to the same status in order to calculate equilibrium price on the deposit market of Ukraine. The obtained values of the equilibrium price (deposit rates) amounted to 7.82%, which corresponds to three points of time in the studied period: the second quarter of 2007; the fourth quarter of 2010 – the first quarter of 2011 and the third quarter of 2011 – the fourth quarter of 2010. However, this balance does not reflect a stable situation on the deposit market of Ukraine, as it has a short-term nature.
Keywords: deposit, deposit market, economic conditions of the deposit market, demand on the deposit market, supply on the deposit market, equilibrium price, deposit rates.
JEL Classification: D50, G21.
Cite as: Lieonov, S., Didenko, I. (2017). Assessment of demand, supply and equilibrium price on the deposit market of Ukraine. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(1), 5-13. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(1).5-13.2017.
- Berger, A.N., Udell, G.F. (1994). Did Risk-Based Capital Allocate Bank Credit and Cause a“Credit Crunch”in the United States? Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 26(3), 585-633.
- Blaes, Barno (2011). Bank-related loan supply factors during the crisis: an analysis based on the German bank lending survey. Deutsche Bundesbank, Discussion Paper, Series 1: Economic Studies, No. 31, p. 48.
- Dick, A. (2002). Astrid Demand Estimation and Consumer Welfare in the Banking Industry, November 6.
- Kanoh, S., Chakkrit Pumpaisanchai (2006). Listening to the Market: Estimating Credit Demand and Sup-ply from Survey Data. Institute of Economic Research Hitotsubashi University, February, 37 p.
- Sovago, S. (2011). Identifying supply and demand in the Hungarian corporate loan market. MNB Occa-sional papers, No. 94, 28 p.
- The banking system of Ukraine: results of 9 months of 2011 and key development trends. National rating agency “Rurik”. Retrieved from http://rurik.com.ua/documents/research/bank_system_tendency_ %D0%86%D0%86%D0%86_%D0%BAv_2011_ukr.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2016.
- The data financial statements of banks Ukraine. Official website of the National Bank of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/category?cat_id=64097. Accessed August 25, 2016.
- Deposits of depository corporations (excluding National Bank of Ukraine). Official website of the National bank of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/ article?art_id=24338412&cat_id=12063884. Accessed August 26, 2016.
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Official website of the State Statistics Service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/. Accessed August 26, 2016.
- The National Commission for State Regulation of Financial Services Markets. Official website of The National Commission for State Regulation of Financial Services Markets. Retrieved from http://nfp.gov.ua/. Accessed August 25, 2016.
- Main indicators of banks in Ukraine. Official website of the National Bank of Ukraine. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=34661442&cat_id=34798593. Accessed August 25, 2016.
- Ukrainian Association of Investment Business. Official website of the Ukrainian Association of Investment Business. Retrieved from http://www.uaib.com.ua/about_uaib/dv_rokiv.html. Accessed Au-gust 25, 2016.