, Professor, M.S. in Accounting and Audit, Colorado State University, Global Campus, USA
, PhD , Senior Lecturer, Department of Accounting and Taxation, Sumy State University, Ukraine
The paper presents a critical analysis of the needs for, reasonableness, and status of the convergence of U.S. GAAP and IFRS. Differences between IFRS and US GAAP are examined. The authors’ conclusion is that it is both timely and necessary to converge and harmonize IFRS and US GAAP into a single set of Global Accounting Standards. This will lead to a more stabilized and prosperous world economy and it will help to resolve many of the world’s financial reporting problems.
Keywords: globalization, financial accounting principles, adaptation, IFRS, GAAP.
JEL Classification: H20.
Cite as: Sanko, H., Koldovskyi, A. (2017). Comparative analysis of IFRS and US GAAP. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(1), 14-22. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(1).14-21.2017.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (2016). IFRS FAQs. Retrieved from http://www.ifrs.com/ifrs_faqs.html#q3
- Baker, R.E., Christensen, T.E., & Cottrell, D.M. (2012). Essentials of advanced financial accounting (1st ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Deloitte (2015). Use of IFRS by jurisdiction. Retrieved from http://www.iasplus.com/en/resources/ifrs-topics/use-of-ifrs.
- Hlaciuc, E., Grosu, V., Socoliuc, M., & Maciuca, G. (2014). Comparative study regarding the main differ-ences between US GAAP and IFRS. USV Annals Of Economics & Public Administration, 14(2), 140-145.
- Hoffman, W.H., Raabe, W. A., Smith, J.E., & Maloney, D.M. (2014). Corporations, partnerships, estates & trusts (37th ed.). Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Hughes, E., & Nicholls, W. (2010). The different methods of TP: Pros and cons. Retrieved from http://www.taxjournal.com/tj/articles/different-methods-tp-pros-and-cons.
- McEnroe, J.E., & Sullivan, M. (2014). The rise and stall of the U.S. GAAP and IFRS convergence move-ment. CPA Journal, 84(1), 14-19.Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, Volume 1, Issue 1, 2017
- McGowan, J.R., & Wertheimer, M. (2009). The effect of IFRS implementation on tax. Retrieved from http://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2009/dec/theeffectofifrsimplementationontax.html.
- McKinley, J., & Owsley, J. (2013). Transfer pricing and its effect on financial reporting. Retrieved from http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2013/oct/20137721.html.
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers (2014). IFRS and US GAAP similarities and differences. Retrieved from https:// www.pwc.com/us/en/issues/ifrs-reporting/publications/assets/ifrs-and-us-gaap-similarities-and-differences-2014.pdf.
- Satin, D., & Huffman, T. (2015). FASB and IASB convergence: Asymptotic relationship or transmogri-fication? Academy Of Accounting & Financial Studies Journal, 19(2), 239-249.
- Schroeder, R.G., Clark, M.W., & Cathey, J.M. (2013). Financial reporting disclosures and ethical respon-sibilities. In Financial accounting theory and analysis: Text and cases (11th ed.). Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley.
- Tsakumis, G.T., Campbell, D.R.Sr., & Doupnik, T.S. (2009). IFRS: Beyond the Standards. Retrieved from http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2009/feb/ifrsbeyondthestandards.html.
- Wharton. (n.d.). Transfer pricing. Retrieved from http://finance.wharton.upenn.edu/~bod-narg/courses/wembaw/readings/Transfer_pricing_chapter.pdf.