, Ph.D., Head of Securities Transactions Division, National Bank of Ukraine, Ukraine
The paper presents the results of the investigation of central bank’s operations from theoretical and practical point of view. Theoretical aspects of the open market operations were analyzed. The definition of the open market operations was formulated. The principles was formed, the typology and the classification of the open market operations was developed. The features, main advantages and disadvantages of such transactions was defined. The issues of the interdependence of the three levels of monetary policy’s aims and its relationship with operational tools of the central bank were considered.
Keywords: monetary policy instruments, central bank, open market operations, standing facilities, refinanc-ing operations, certificates of deposit.
JEL Classification: E43, E52, E58, G10.
Cite as: Lanovyi, V. (2017). Operational activity of the central bank. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(2), 60-70. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(2).60-70.2017.
- Mishchenko, V.I., Somyk, A.V. (2008). Likvidnistʹ bankivsʹkoyi systemy Ukrayiny [Liquidity of the banking system of Ukraine]. Naukovo-analitychni materialy, Kyiv: NBU, Tsentr naukovykh doslidzhenʹ, 12, 180 p.
- The implementation of monetary policy in the euro area [Electronic source] / European Central Bank. – February 2011. Available at http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/other/gendoc2011en.pdf.
- Mishkin, F. (1999). Ékonomycheskaya teoryya deneh, bankovskoho dela y fynansovykh rynkov: Uchebnoe posobye dlya vuzov [The Economic Theory of Money, Banking and Financial Markets: A Textbook for High Schools]. Moscow: Aspect Press, 820 p.
- Moiseev, S.R. (2005). Denezhno-kredytnaya polytyka: teoryya y praktyka: ucheb. posobye [Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice: Study]. Moscow: Economist, 652 p.
- Fullwiler, S. (2008). Modern Central Bank Operations – The General Principles. New York: The Levy Economics Institute, 47 p.
- Gray, S., Talbot, N. (2006). Monetary operations. Bank of England: CCBS Handbook, № 24, 82 p.
- Monetary policy frameworks and central bank market operations. Bank for International Settlements, Monetary Committee. December 13, 2007. Available at http://www.bis.org/press/p071217.htm.
- Monetary policy implementation: Monetary policy instruments. European Central Bank. Available at http://www.ecb.europa.eu/mopo/intro/operational/html/index.en.html.
- The implementation of monetary policy in the euro area. European Central Bank. February 2011. Available at http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/other/gendoc2011en.pdf.
- The Brazilian Fiscal Responsibility Law. World Bank. Available at http://www1.worldbank.org/publicsector/pe/BudgetLaws/BRLRFEnglish.pdf.
- Launching of Market Stabilisation Scheme. Reserve Bank of India. Available at http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/BS_PressReleaseDisplay.aspx?prid=9788.