Anatoliy Guley, Ph.D., Professor Bankovního institutu vysoké školy, Praha, the Czech Republic
Jaroslav Gusev, Ph.D., Director of the Bank branch, JSC VTB Bank (Ukraine), Ukraine
This article explores the specific features of the functioning of foreign banking capital in the markets of the countries in the European Union. An analysis conducted to formalize the influence of the share of assets of foreign banks and banks under the control of a foreign investor in the assets of banking systems of 27 countries in the European Union on the level of competition allows one to assert that there is no single, clearly expressed tendency to influence this share on the level of competition. It has also been established that among 27 coun-tries of the European union, two stable aggregates of countries can be identified, in banking systems of which the share of foreign bank capital practically did not change. It can be argued that the markets of the countries in the European Union, recipients of foreign banking capital, are exhausted from the point of view of further growth in the presence of foreign capital.
Keywords: banks, banking system, foreign capital, foreign investor, banks with foreign capital, foreign banks, foreign bank capital, a bank with a pseudo-foreign investor.
JEL Classification: G20, G21.
Cite as: Guley, A., Gusev, J. (2017). Effect of foreign capital on competition development in the European banking sector. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(2), 71-79. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(2).71-79.2017.
- Kozmenko, S., Vasilyeva, T., Leonov, S. (2010). Peculiarities of price formation in the banking business of Ukraine. In the monograph: 30 jahre Fachhochschule der Deutschen Bundesbank, Under the editorship of Dr. h.c. Rudolf Bohmler (Hrsg.), Frankfurt am Maine, Diese Sonderveroffentlichung erscheint im Selbstverlag der Deutschen Bundesbank, p. 193-215.
- Ofitsiynyy veb-sayt Svitovoho banku [Official website of the World Bank]. Retrieved from http://data.worldbank.org/.
- Nitsenko, V., Cherneha, I. (2011). Rolʹ inozemnoho kapitalu u rozvytok bankivsʹkoho sektoru Ukrayiny [The role of foreign capital in the development of the banking sector of Ukraine. Naukovyy klub «SOPHUS». Retrieved from http://sophus.at.ua.
- Demirguc-Kunt, A., Levine, R., Min, H.-C. (1998). Opening to Foreign Banks. Issues of Stability, Efficiency, and Growth. The Implications of Globalization of World Financial Markets. Bank of Korea, Seoul.
- Mathieson, D. J., Roldos, J. (2001). The Role of Foreign Banks in Emerging Markets. The third Annual Financial Markets and Development Conference in New York, in April.
- Morgan, D., Strahan, P. (2003). Foreign Bank Entry and Business Volatility: Evidence from U.S. States and Other Countries. NBER Working Paper, № 9710.
- Peria, M., Soledad, M., Mody, A. (2004). How foreign participation and market concentration impact bank spreads: Evidence from Latin America. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, 36, 511–537.
- Schulz, H. (2004). Foreign banks in Mexico: new conquistadors or agents of change? University of Pennsylvania.
- Pomerleano, M., Vojta, G. What Do Foreign Banks Do in Emerging Markets? [Electronic resource]. The World Bank. Retrieved from: http://www1.worldbank.org/ finance/assets/images/ Pomerleano_Vojta_presentation.pdf.
- Paterson, K. (2009). Mexico’s Other Crisis: Foreign Banks. Holding Corporations Accountable. Retrieved from http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=15356.