Nataliia Dovha, Chairwoman, ETC.Foundation, Warsaw, Poland
Victoria Boychenko, Deputy Director of Bank branch, JSC TASCOMBANK, Ukraine
The article analyzes the latest trends in the development of banking innovations and interdependence between the development of the real economy and the banking sector in Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slo-vakia, which are similar to the Ukraine on the development of banking systems and the economy. We deter-mined that now, key tendencies related to the development of banking innovations are: 1) expanding and deepening banking regulation; 2) changing customer expectations; 3) growth of technology impact on risk management in banks; 4) development of new risk types; 5) search for decision-making methods that assess and take into account variations in the behavior of economic subjects; 6) cutting banking costs.
It is determined that for today there is no objective reason to assert the existence of a real threat to the stability of banking systems, caused by the development of banking innovation. At the same time, fast evolution of financial and banking systems, will make us to revise the results of this research in the nearest future.
Keywords: banking innovations, banking crisis, financial stability, the causes of the crisis, the probability of crisis.
JEL Classification: G01, G21, O31.
Cite as: Dovha, N., Boychenko, V. (2017). Can banking innovations lead to new financial crisis: case of Central and Eastern Europe. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 1(2), 80-86. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.1(2).80-86.2017.
- Djalilov, K., Lyeonov, S., & Buriak, A. (2015). Comparative studies of risk, concentration and efficiency in transition economies. Risk Governance and Control: Financial Markets and Institutions, 5(4 cont. 1), 178-187.
- European Central Bank. Statistic warehouse. European Central Bank. Retrieved from: http://sdw.ecb.europa.eu/home.do.
- Online banking penetration in selected European markets in 2015. Statista. Retrieved from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/222286/online-banking-penetration-in-leading-european-countries/.
- Vasilyeva, T.A. (2013) Diagnostyka bankivskyh kryz na osnovi rozrahunku prognoznogo indykatora kryzy [Diagnosing banking crisis on the basis of prognostic indicator of crisis]. Visnyk NBU, 11 (213), 22-28 [in Ukrainian].
- Karlin, M.I. (2009) Naslidky I problemy integracii Polshchi v Yevropeyskiy soyuz: poglyad z Ukrainy [Consequences and problems of Poland integration into European Union: look from the Ukraine]. Naukoviy visnyk Volyn. nats. un-t im. Lesi Ukrainky, 3, 154–157 [in Ukrainian].
- Kochetkov, V.M. (2014) Analiz rozvytku mizhnarodnyh bankiv v Centralniy ta Shidniy Yevropi [Analysis of development of international banks in Central and Eastern European countries]. Efektyvna ekonomika. Retrieved from http://www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=2934 [in Ukrainian].
- Melnyk, P.V., Tarangul, L.L., Gordey, O.D. (2010) Bankivski systemy zarubizhnyh krain [Foreig banking systems]. Kyiv: Alerta, Centr uchbovoi literatury [in Ukrainian].
- Oglyad ekonomiky Ugorshchyny. Ministerstvo ekonomichnogo rozvytku i torgivli Ukrainy [An overview of the economy of the Ugric region. Ministry of Economic Development and Trade in Ukraine]. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrexport.gov.ua/ukr/econ_spivirob/hun/1438.html.
- Fedonyuk, S.V. (2009). Naslidky pryednannya do ES: Polshcha na foni krain CSE [Consequences of Poland joint to EU: Poland in front of CEE countries]. Lutsk: Volyn. nats. un-t im. Lesi Ukrainky, 92–116.
- Tsyhaniuk, D.L. Mehanizm zabezpechennya stabilnosti bankivskoi systemy: zarubizhniy dosvid ta ukrainski realii [Mechanizm of ensuring banking system stability: foreign experience and Ukrainian reality]. Visnyk Ukrainskoi academii bankivskoi spravy, 2, 40-45.
- Chy uniknula Chehiya politychnoi kryzy? [Did the Czech Republic avoid the political crisis?] (2012). Politicantrop. Retrieved from http://politikan.com.ua/8/4/1/49367.htm.
- Marques-Ibanez, D., van Leuvensteijn, M. (2017). Bank competition and financial stability: The role of financial innovation from http://voxeu.org/article/bank-competition-and-financial-stability-role-financial-innovation.
- Llewellyn, D. T. (2009). Financial Innovation and a New Economics of Banking: Lessons from the Financial Crisis, in ed. Sandra Mollentze, Challenges for Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets, report of bi-ennial SARB conference, South African Reserve Bank, Pretoria.
- Demirguc-Kunt, A and Detragiache, E. (2005) Empirical analysis of the causes and consequences of bank crises. National Institute of Economic Research Review, April: 14–28.