, Department of Business Administration and Management, School of Management Sciences, Abubakar Tatari Ali Polytechnic Bauchi, Bauchi state, Nigeria.
, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, College of Science and Technology, Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Kazaure, Jigawa Sate, Nigeria.
In academic study, as in other walks of life, figures can give you a lot of detailed information quickly and efficiently, the time you invest in learning how to read tables and diagrams will save you a lot in your future decision making. You will become informed much more precisely and much more rapidly once you can take advantages of these figures, following this premise, the study aims to find out how figures are being used to analyses the hypotheses put forward by stock brokers to peg prices of shares, and as well identify and interpret what they are being used for in the Nigerian stock Exchange. Consequently, this review work was based on descriptive content analysis of mathematical literacy and the Nigerian Stock Exchange with particular emphasis on financial numeracy regarding Blue-chip stocks and business decision analysis thereby primary source are make use of. Hence, this study focused on the importance of meaning making in mathematical literacy to solidify the understanding of blue-chip stocks so as to achieve a better business decision making in the fast moving world. Besides, the paper examined the stock numeracy experiences and its implications for business decision analysis. Herein, the study believed that the mathematical literacy is a critical component in the education of our nation’s youth especially in this era of economic recession and the study therefore recommended that the level of mathematical understanding will provides the necessary mathematical base for success in the world of business by positioning groundwork for mathematical literate citizens i.e. the intelligent investors to assess the profitability, survivability, growth, stability, dividend (if any), likely problems, risks and other factors which may affect his/her investment in a particular company.
Keywords: mathematical literacy, blue-chip stocks, decision analysis, financial information, business investment.
JEL Classification: G11.
Cite as: H. S. Bello, M. H. Dunari. (2018). Mathematical literacy and Nigerian Stock Exchange: an exposition of financial information for Blue-chip stocks’ business decision analysis. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(2), 31-39. DOI: 10.21272/fmir.2(2).31-39.2018
- Aminu, A.A. (1995). Statistics for Social and management Sciences: Second Edition. Maiduguri: Government Printing press.
- Ashcraft, M. H. & Kirk, E. P. (2001). The Relationships among Working Memory, Math Anxiety, and Performance. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. Pp. 224-237
- Bojomo, A. and Ohaeri, K. (2015).Stock exchange as the ultimate voting machine (1).The Nation Newspaper, 10(3227). Lagos: Vintage Press Limited. Wednesday, May 27.
- Anuforo, C. (2015). Market sustains momentum gains N221bn. Daily Sun Newspaper, Vol. 10(3111), Wednesday, April 1.
- Capital Market (2015). Stock Updates. National Mirror Newspaper, 5(1081), Wednesday, April 1.
- Genzuk, M. (1999).A Synthesis of Ethnographic Research. Available online from http://www-ref.usc.edu/wgenzuk/Ethnographic Research.html. Retrieved on 04/05/2014.
- Gummesson, E. (2003). All Research in Interpretive. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 482-492.
- Jablonka, E. (2003). Mathematical Literacy. In A.J. Bis-hop, M.A. Clements, C. Keitel, J.
- Kilpatrick & F.K.S. Leung (Eds.). Second International Handbook of Mathematics Education (pp. 75-102). The Netherlands, Dordecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Nigerian Finder (2018). Functions of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Available online at: https://nigerianfinder.com/functions-of-the-nigerian-stock-exchange/ . Retrieved 31st May, 2018.
- Northedge, A. (2003). The Good Study Guide. The Open University. Lagos: Express Image.
- Ogunwale, K. (2014a). Blue Chip Stocks drag Equity Prices down by N200bn. The Weekly Trust Newspaper, Saturday, July 26. Pp. 57
- Ogunwale, K (2014b). Stock Market maintains Positive posture with N 199bn gain, weekly Trust Newspaper, 17(38), Saturday, April 12.
- Okanlawon, J (2015). Equities record 2% gain. National Mirror Newspaper,5(1081), Wednesday, April 1.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (1999). Measuring.
- Student Knowledge and Skills: A New Framework for Assessment, (p.50). France, Paris: OECD.
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (2000). Literacy in the Information Age: Final report of the International Adult Literacy Survey. Available online at: http://www.oecd.org/education/educationeconomyandsociety/39437980.pdf Retrieved on 28/11/2016.
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (2006). Assessing Scientific, Reading and Mathematical Literacy: A Framework for PISA 2006. Available online at: http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisaproducts/pisa2006/37464175.pdf. Retrieved on 28/11/2016.
- Quadri, M. (2017). What are the objectives of the Nigerian stock exchange, and when was it created? Available online at: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-objectives-of-the- Nigerian-stock-exchange-and-when-was-it-created. Retrieved 31st May, 2018
- Salako, T. (2015). Stock Exchange advises Investors on Procedures for Account transfer. The Nation Newspaper, 10(3227). Lagos: Vintage Press Limited. Wednesday, May 27.
- Stephen, C.M. (2005a). Understanding the ABC of Stock investment. Michika: The Stock Millionaires Solutions.
- Stephen, C.M. (2005b). Understanding how to open a new Stream of income via Stock investment. Michika: The Stock Millionaires Solutions.
- Sulaiman, B.D. (2013). Assessment of the impact of Liquidity on Market price of ordinary shares of manufacturing companies in the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Nigerian Journal of Management and Development, 4(1), June.
- Uhaa, A. (1997). Lecture notes on Analysis for Business decision. Department of Business Administration, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Unpublished.
- Wikipedia (2018). Nigerian Stock Exchange. Available online at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Stock_Exchange. Retrieved 31st May, 2018.