, PhD Economics and Finance University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
, Studio Asse, Iel Ets Legal and Economic Association, Italy
In that paper I start to define that Corporate governance issues have attracted considerable attention not only in Europe but also in UK, , and research worldwide in recent decades. Internationally, corporate governance norms have been initiated through a judicious mix of the three available routes: legislation, regulation and self discipline. A world class corporate governance system is where values are as important as rules.Corporate governance is an important part of strategic management that can improve firm performance. Despite its importance, many people are unclear about what corporate governance is precisely. Both managers and investors should understand what corporate governance is and the role that it plays in firms. Being aware of what corporate governance is will allow them to see how it affects their respective businesses. In conclusion good governance practices entail active participation of shareholders in the direct and indirect management of corporation through the Board of Directors and an arrangement of productive checks and balances among shareholders, board of directors and management of corporations. For this reason, every governance model can not fail to take into account appropriate business management models able to identify and classify future events, opportunities and above all potential threats.
Keywords: Corporate Governance, Financial Markets.
JEL Classification: M4, M48.
Cite as: Tommaso, F. D., Gulinelli, Ar. (2019). What Can Be the Best Corporate Governance Reform? Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 3(1), 75-91. http://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.3(1).75-91.2019.
- Special report: corporate governance, investors fight back. (2004, May17). Business Week. Available at: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/000119312516530747/d78603ddef14a.htm
- Alrabba, H. M. (2016). Measuring the impact of code of ethics on the quality of auditors’ professional judgment. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 5(4), 54-60. Available at: https://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v5_i4_p4
- Baker, M. (2006, March 29). Private communication. Business in the Community.
- Brewster, D. (2004, August 9). CalPERS wave-making brings flak. Financial Times Fund Management.
- Butz, C. (2003). Decomposing SRI Performance, Geneva: Pictet & Cie.
- Cadbury Committee (1992). Report of the Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance. Available at: http://www.ecgi.org/ codes/documents/cadbury.pdf
- Collins, J. (2001). Good to great. London: Random House Business. Available at: https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/104/1045846/good-to-great/ 9780712676090.html
- Collins, J., & Porras, J. (1994). Built to last. New York: Harper Business. Available at: https://www.amazon.com/Built-Last-Successful-Visionary- Essentials/dp/0060516402
- Conference Board (2003). Commission on public trust and private enterprise: Findings and recommendations. Available at: https://www.conference- board.org/pdf_free/SR-03-04-ES.pdf
- Doyle, J. L., Colley, J., Stettinius, W., & Logan, G. (2005). What Is Corporate Governance? New York: McGraw-Hill.
- El Nashar, T. (2016). The probable effect of integrated reporting on audit quality. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 5(2), 50-58. Available at: http://doi.org/ 10.22495/jgr_v5_i2_p6
- Eun, C. S., Resnick, B. G., & Sabherwal, S. (2004). International Finance. Wall Street Journal. Aril 9, 1996. Available at: https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bbm%3A978-3-030-02792-6%2F1.pdf.
- Ferri Di Fabrizio, L. (2017). The pattern of fraudulent accounting: Ethics, external auditing and internal whistle-blowing process. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 6(1), Available at: 12-25. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v6_i1_p2
- Feten, A., & Salma, D.-A. (2015). The use of international standards in ethics education in the Tunisian audit context. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 4(4-4), 499-506. Available at: http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v4_i4_c4_p7
- Gimbel, F. (2004, April 19). US activist launches hedge fund (for corporate governance). FT Fund Management. Available at: http://nylawyer.nylj.com/adgifs/decisions/120607hedgefund1.pdf
- Gompers, P., Ishii, J., & Metrick, A. (2001). Corporate governance and equity prices (NBER Working Paper No. 8449).
- Habbash, M. (2012). Earnings management, audit committee effectiveness and the role of blockholders ownership: Evidence from UK large firms. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 1(4-1), 100-116. Available at: http://doi.org/ 10.22495/jgr_v1_i4_c1_p1
- ICGN (2002). Cross border proxy voting, case studies from the 2002 proxy voting season. London: International Corporate Governance Network.
- IF AC (2003). Rebuilding public confidence in financial reporting: An international perspective. New York: International Federation of Accountants.
- IFAC (2004). Enterprise governance: Getting the balance right. New York: International Federation of Accountants.
- Kandemir, H. K. (2016). Auditing versus consultancy: a critique of the EU law reforms on the new form of auditing. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 5(3), 90-97. Available at: http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v5_i3_p8
- Krauß, P., & Zülch, H. (2013). The relation of auditor tenure to audit quality: Empirical evidence from the German audit market. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 2(3), 27-43. Available at: http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v2_i3_p2
- Larcker, D., Richardson, S., & Tuna, I. (2005, May 2). Ratings add fire to the governance debate. FT Mastering Corporate Governance. Available at: https://aaapubs.org/doi/pdf/10.2308/accr.2007.82.4.963
- Ledimo, O., & Martins, N. (2014). An audit of employee commitment to enable leaders to manage organizational talent. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 3(3-1), 128-133. Available at: http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v3_i3_c1_p6
- Los Angeles Times (2004, April 3). Ex-exec tells of Adelphia fraud’. Available at: https://www.jstor.org/stable/29789727?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- McKinsey & Company (2002). Global investor opinion survey on corporate governance, London, McKinsey & Company.Standard & Poor’s Governance Services (2002). Corporate Governance Scores: Criteria, Methodology and Definitions, New York, Standard and Poor’s. Available at: https://www.mckinsey.com/client_service/corporate_finance/latest_thinking/mckinsey_on_finance/~/media/DD152F22B7CC4B099913E114AC5558FB.ashx
- Monks, R. A. G., & Minow, N. (2015). Corporate Governance (5thed.). Chichester, The UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd. http://doi.org/10.1002/ 9781119207238
- Murase, H., Numata, S., & Takeda, F. (2013). [Conference issue]. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 2(3), 7-23. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v2_i3_p1
- Tayan, B. & Larcker, D. F. (2015). Corporate governance matters: A closer look at organizational choices (2nd ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education. Available at: https://www.amazon.com/CorporateGovernance-Matters- Organizational-Consequences/dp/0134031563
- Tricker, P. I. (2017). Corporate governance: principles, policies, and practices. Oxford, the UK: Oxford University Press. Available at: https://global.oup.com/ukhe/product/corporate-governance-9780198702757? cc=ua&lang=en&
- Unctad (2003). Case study on corporate governance disclosures in the United States of America (Report No. TD/B/Com.2/ISAR/19/). Available at: https://unctad.org/en/docs/c2isar19_en.pdf
- Unctad (2005). 2005 Review of the implementation status of corporate governance disclosures (Report No. TD/B/COM.2/ISAR/CRP.1).
- Velte, P. & Stiglbauer, M. (2012). Impact of auditor and audit firm rotation on accounting and audit quality: A critical analysis of the EC regulation draft. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 1(3), 7-13. http://doi.org/ 10.22495/jgr_v1_i3_p1
- Velte, P., & Eulerich, M. (2014). Increased auditor independence by external rotation and separating audit and non-audit duties? – A note on the European audit regulation. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 3(2), 53-62. http://doi.org/10.22495/jgr_v3_i2_p5
- Webley, S., & More, E. (2003). Does business ethics pay: Ethics and financial performance. London: Institute of Business Ethics. Available at: https://www.ibe.org.uk/userfiles/doesbusethicpaysumm.pdf
- Wilkinson, N., & Coetzee, P. (2015). Internal audit assurance or consulting services rendered on governance: How does one decide? Journal of Governance and Regulation, 4(1-2), 186-200. http://doi.org/10.22495/ jgr_v4_i1_c2_p3
- Relazione Assonime “La Corporate Governance in Italia: autodisciplina, remunerazioni e comply-orexplain (anno 2017) del Febbraio 2018. Available at: http://www.assonime.it/attivitaeditoriale/studi/Pagine/note-e-studi-2-2018.aspx
- 2017 CSR RepTrak – How to use data to connect CSR and Reputation and be relevant for the business. Available at: https://www.reputationinstitute.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2017-Italy-CSR-RepTrak.pdf
- Report on corporate governance of Italian listed companies 2017 – fonte Consob; Available at: http://www.consob.it/web/consob-and-its-activities/rcg2017
- Zamagni S. (2006). Responsabilità sociale delle imprese e “Democratic Stakeholding”, Forlì, Aiccon, WorkingPaper n. 28. Available at: http://www.consob.it/web/consob-and-its-activities/rcg2017
- Milton Friedman. (1970). The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits. New York Times Magazine. Available at: https://www.duo.uio.no/bitstream/handle/10852/38408/ Mertens_ Filsosofi_ Master.pdf?
- Tarantola A. (2011). Il ruolo del risk management per un efficace presidio dei rischi: le lezioni della crisi, Intervento alla CommunityCib – SDA Bocconi, Milano, 10 novembre. Available at: http://umich.edu/~thecore/doc/Friedman.pdf
- Amartya K. (1988). Sen Etica ed Economia Editori Laterza. Available at: https://archiviomarini.sp.unipi.it//541/1/Amartya%20Sen,%20la%20filosofia%20politica%20(S_%20Carus)
- Andrew Haldane. (2016). The costs of short-termism BOE. Available at: https://www.bis.org/review/r171013f.pdf
- Il codice della crisi di impresa schema di Dlgs del 10/1/2019. Available at: https://www.altalex.com/documents/news/2018/11/28/codice-crisi-impresa-e-insolvenza