University of Nizwa, College of Economics, Management & Information Systems, Oman
Financial losses, bankruptcy and closure of the company may be the result of incorrect choice of accounting software, inefficient modernization of such software depending on the specifics of the economic entity and ignorance of technical knowledge of staffs to work with the software product. The paper notes that for companies from member countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council, the technique of implementation and application of tax legislation and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) differs significantly from other countries. The article emphasizes that in Oman, companies need to prepare financial statements in accordance with current applicable IFRS, as well as the Law on Commercial Companies 2019 and the guidelines and requirements for disclosure of capital market information. The purpose of this paper is to study and study the impact of the implementation of accounting software among small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Oman. The study systematizes the features and issues of assessing the relationship between generalized accounting software (GAS) and its use by accountants working for SMEs. Twenty small and medium business accountants were selected as the target audience, taking into account their experience and basic knowledge of accounting in the context of ownership and use of GAS. The study confirms and theoretically proves that the use of GAS in the financial and economic activities of SMEs has a significant impact on the practice of accountants working in such enterprises, ie, there is a positive and significant relationship between GAS choice and use of GAS by SME accountants. The results of this study can be useful for the government, representatives of tax authorities, higher education institutions in the context of establishing adequate policies regarding the use of software for accounting by economic entities.
Keywords: Generalized accounting software, accounting, accountant, small and medium enterprises, international financial reporting standards (IFRS), Oman.
JEL Classification: M41, L86, M15.
Cite as: Muneerali M. T. (2020). Impact of Accounting Software among SMEs Accountants in Oman. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(2), 25-33. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(2).25-33.2020.
- Aduamoah, M. (2017). Riding the waves of technology: A study into how SMEs select computerized accounting software (CAS) supplier in developing countries. Archives of Business Research, 5(10), DOI: https://doi.org/10.14738/abr.510.3652
- Afolayan, A., Plant, E., White, G. R., Jones, P., & Beynon‐Davies, P. (2015). Information technology usage in SMEs in a developing economy. Strategic Change, 24(5), 483-498, DOI 10.1002/jsc.2023.
- Agburu, J. I., Anza, N. C., & Iyortsuun, A. S. (2017). Effect of outsourcing strategies on the performance of small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs). Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 7(1), 26, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40497-017-0084-0.
- Ahmad, M. A., & Al-Shbiel, S. O. (2019). The Effect of Accounting Information System on Organizational Performance in Jordanian Industrial SMEs: The Mediating Role of Knowledge Management. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 10(3). https://www.ijbss.org/journals/Vol_10_No_3_March_2019/9.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Alabdullah, T. T. Y., Ahmed, E. R., & Muneerali, M. (2019). Effect of Board Size and Duality on Corporate Social Responsibility: What has Improved in Corporate Governance in Asia?. Journal of Accounting Science, 3(2), 121-135, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21070/jas.v3i2.2810
- Amahalu, N., Abiahu, M. F. C., & Chinyere, O. (2017). Comparative analysis of computerized accounting system and manual accounting system of quoted Microfinance Banks (MFBs) in Nigeria. International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, 7(2), 30-43, DOI: 10.6007/IJARAFMS/v7-i2/2787.
- Anokyewaa, C. (2016). Computerized record keeping among small and medium enterprises-a case study in Sunyani Municipalit, PhD diss., 2016. Resource document. http://dspace.knust.edu.gh/bitstream/ 123456789/8497/1/ANOKYEWAA%20CHRISTIANA.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Arcega, C. K., Datinguinoo, E., Guerra, J., Guno, C., Mayuga, H. J., Villamena, E., & Manongsong, J. L. (2015). Computerized vs. non-computerized accounting system of small and medium enterprises in Lipa City, Philippines: A comparative analysis. Asia Pacific Journal of Academic Research in Business Administration, 1(1). http://research.lpubatangas.edu.ph/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/APJARBA-2015-1-006-Computerized-vs.-Non-computerized-Accounting-System.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Azih, N. (2018). Electronic accounting: An imperative tool for quality assurance in accounting education programme in the digital era. Nigerian Journal of Business Education (NIGJBED), 1(2), 90-98. http://www.nigjbed.com.ng/index.php/nigjbed/article/view/161. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Brandas, C., Megan, O., & Didraga, O. (2015). Global perspectives on accounting information systems: mobile and cloud approach. Procedia Economics and Finance, 20, 88-93, DOI: 10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00051-9.
- Bishop, W. A. (2016). Addressing the challenge of strategic alignment faced by small and medium-sized entities during the selection of accounting software packages, DOI: 10.19030/iber.v16i1.9883.
- Boylan, D. H., & Dennery, C. (2018). Accounting Software and Its Effect on the Demand for Accountants in Small Business, Accountancy Business and the Public Interest 2018. Resource document. http://visar.csustan.edu/aaba/BoylandBoylandDennery2018.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Damasiotis, V., Trivellas, P., Santouridis, I., Nikolopoulos, S., & Tsifora, E. (2015). IT competences for professional accountants. A review. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 175, 537-545, DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1234.
- Do, D., Tran, M., Nguyen, T., Truong, D., & Pham, D. (2018). Determinants influencing differences of financial statements under Vietnamese accounting and international accounting: The case of Vietnam. Management Science Letters, 8(6), 555-568, DOI: 10.5267/j.msl.2018.4.034.
- Fordham, D. R., & Hamilton, C. W. (2019). Accounting Information Technology in Small Businesses: An Inquiry. Journal of Information Systems, 33(2), 63-75. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2308/isys-51982.
- Ghasemi, M., Shafeiepour, V., Aslani, M., & Barvayeh, E. (2011). The impact of Information Technology (IT) on modern accounting systems. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 28, 112-116, DOI:10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.023.
- Gyimah, P., Appiah, K. O., & Lussier, R. N. (2019). Success versus failure prediction model for small businesses in Ghana. Journal of African Business, 1-20. DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/15228916.2019.1625017. Accessed 19 May 2020.
- Haleem, A., & Raisal, I. (2016). The study of the influence of information technology sophistication on the quality of accounting information system in bank branches at Amapara district, Sri Lanka. http://ir.lib.seu.ac.lk/handle/123456789/1944. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Heredos, S., Kim, P., & Vazzano, B. (2017). LOOKS DO MATTER: DEVELOPING AN ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE PROGRAM IN JAVA AND NETBEANS. Issues in Information Systems, 18(3). https://iacis.org/iis/2017/3_iis_2017_9-18.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Horvat, T., & Mojzer, J. (2019). Influence of Company Size on Accounting Information for Decision-Making of Management. Naše gospodarstvo/Our economy, 65(2), 11-20, DOI:https://doi.org/10.2478/ngoe-2019-0007.
- Houaich¹, Y. A., & Belaissaoui, M. (2015). Towards a New Evaluation Model to Improve Open Source Software-Application in Moroccan SMEs. International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing (IJCSMC), 4(7), 364-374. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/ Youssef_Ait_Houaich /publication/302494662_Towards_a_New_Evaluation_Model_to_Improve_Open_Source_Software_Application_in_Moroccan_SMEs/links/5730ad3408aed286ca0db9ae.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Janvrin, D. J., & Watson, M. W. (2017). “Big Data”: A new twist to accounting. Journal of Accounting Education, 38, 3-8, DOI: 10.1016/j.jaccedu.2016.12.009.
- Kanakriyah, R. (2016). The Effect of Using Accounting Information Systems on the Quality of Accounting Information According to Users Perspective in Jordan. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance Research, 4(11), 58-75. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Raed_Kanakriyah/publication/335665572_Published_by_European_Centre_for_Research_Training_and_Development_UK_wwweajournalsorg/links/5d72cf78a6fdcc9961b2d5cf/Published-by-European-Centre-for-Research-Training-and-Development-UK-wwweajournalsorg.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Kucherenko, V. A., & Mirontseva, S. S. (2017). Differences Between Manual and Computerized Accounting System. In Recent Achievements and Prospects of Innovations and Technologies (pp.255-257). https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29268887. Accessed 19 May 2020.
- Lee, H., & France, A. (2018). Contrasting the accounting difficulties of small to medium entities (SMEs) with large organisations, Resource Document. http://researcharchive.wintec.ac.nz/ 6490/2/ AMCVol1%20no2%20excl%20conf.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Mauch, M., Cannam, C., Bittner, R., Fazekas, G., Salamon, J., Dai, J., … & Dixon, S. (2015). Computer-aided melody note transcription using the Tony software: Accuracy and efficiency. https://zenodo.org/record/923767#.XsKLYmgzbIU. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Ngaochay, T., & Walsh, J. (2017). Upgrading Employees Skills in Thai SMEs Sustainably. PACIFIC BUSINESS REVIEW INTERNATIONAL, 9(9), 129-136. http://www.pbr.co.in/2017/2017_month/March/15.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2020.
- Ngoo, Y. T., Tiong, K. M., & Pok, W. F. (2015). Bridging the gap of perceived skills between employers and accounting graduates in Malaysia. American Journal of Economics, 5(2), 98-104. DOI:10.5923/c.economics.201501.09.
- Ngugi, E. W. (2016). E-Commerce Security and Performance of SMEs in Nairobi, Kenya (Doctoral dissertation, University of Nairobi). Resource Document. https://pdfs.semanticscholar .org/0304/3ad525928b4affae00ed4046242183df034c.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Nyathi, K. A., Nyoni, T., Nyoni, M., & Bonga, W. G. (2018). The role of accounting information in the success of small & medium enterprises (SMEs) in Zimbabwe: A case of Harare. Journal of Business and Management (DRJ-JBM), 1(1), 01-15. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3114042. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Ogundana, O., Okere, W., Ayomoto, O., Adesanmi, D., Ibidunni, S., & Ogunleye, O. (2017). ICT and accounting system of SMEs in Nigeria. Management Science Letters, 7(1), 1-8, DOI:10.5267/j.msl.2016.11.007.
- Pavtar, A. A. (2017). Accounting Practices of SMEs: Challenges and Effects: A Survey of SMEs in Makurdi Metropolis-Benue State-Nigeria. World Journal of Finance and Investment Research, 2(1), 16-29. http://iiard.com/index.php/WJFIR/article/view/1847. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Putra, Y. M. (2019). Analysis of Factors Affecting the Interests of SMEs Using Accounting Applications. Journal of Economics and Business, 2(3), DOI: 10.31014/aior.1992.02.03.129.
- Rahman, M. M., Ahammed, M., Uddin, M., Rouf, M., & Uddin, M. M. (2015). Obstacles and implementation of accounting software system in Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs): Case of South Asian perspective. Abdur and Uddin, Mohammad Main, Obstacles and Implementation of Accounting Software System in Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs): Case of South Asian Perspective (May 23, 2015), DOI:10.2139/ssrn.2609658.
- Rkein, H., Issa, Z. A., Awada, F. J., & Hejase, H. J. (2019). Impact of Automation on Accounting Profession and Employability: A Qualitative Assessment from Lebanon. Saudi Journal of Business Management, 4, 372-385, DOI:10.21276/sjbms.2019.4.4.10.
- Rosli, K., Yeow, P. H., & Siew, E. G. (2012). Factors influencing audit technology acceptance by audit firms: A new I-TOE adoption framework. Journal of Accounting and Auditing, 2012, 1, DOI: 10.5171/2012.876814.
- Sallem, N. R. M., Nasir, N. E. M., Nori, W. M. N. W. M., & Kassim, C. K. H. C. K. (2017). Small and medium enterprises: Critical problems and possible solutions. International Business Management, 11(1), 47-52, DOI: 10.36478/ibm.2017.47.52.
- Seethamraju, R. (2015). Adoption of software as a service (SaaS) enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems in small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs). Information systems frontiers, 17(3), 475-492, DOI: 10.1007/s10796-014-9506-5.
- Shiraj, M. M. (2015). The impact of using computerized accounting systems (CAS) in financial reporting among SMEs:(Special Reference to the South Eastern Region, Sri Lanka). In 5th International Symposium–2015 South Eastern University of Sri Lanka. http://www.seu.ac.lk/researchandpublications/symposium/5th/abstract/businessandmanagement/16.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Sithole, S. (2015). The Relevance of International Financial Reporting Standards for Small and Medium-Sized Entities (IFRS for SMEs) in Swaziland. Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing, 11(8), 383-402, DOI:10.17265/1548-6583/2015.08.001.
- Serpeninova, Y. S., Makarenko, S., & Litvinova, M. (2019). Computer-assisted audit techniques: main advantages and disadvantages, DOI: 10.21272/ 1817-9215.2019.3-8.
- Taiwo, J. N. (2016). Effect Of Ict On Accounting Information System And Organisational Performance: The Application Of Information And Communication Technology On Accounting Information System. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 5(2), 1-15. http://eprints.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/6925/#.XsKQgWgzbIV. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Teddlie, C. and Tashakkori, A. (Eds) (2009), Foundations of Mixed Methods Research: Integrating Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches in the Social and Behavioral Sciences Sage Publications, DOI: 10.1016/j.aenj.2009.07.004.
- Teru, S. P., Idoko, I. F., & Bello, L. (2019). The Impact of E-Accounting in Modern Businesses. International Journal of Accounting & Finance Review, 4(2), 1-4, DOI: https://doi.org/10.46281/ijafr.v4i2.355.
- Tijani, O. M., & Mohammed, A. K. (2013). Computer-based accounting systems in small and medium enterprises: Empirical evidence from a randomized trial in Nigeria. Universal Journal of Management, 1(1), 13-21. http://ir.unilag.edu.ng:8080/handle/123456789/2866. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Thottoli, M. M., Thomas K.V. & Ahmed, E. R., (2019a). Adoption of Audit Software by Audit Firms: A Qualitative Study,Journal of Information and Computational Science,Volume 9 Issue 9 – 768-776. http://www.joics.org/gallery/ics-1436.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Thottoli, M. M., Thomas, K. V., & Ahmed, E. R. (2019b). Qualitative Analysis on Information Communication Technology and Auditing Practices of Accounting Professionals. Journal of Information and Computational Science, 9(9). http://www.joics.org/gallery/ics-1398-.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Thottoli, M. M., Thomas K.V. & Ahmed, E. R., (2019c). Examining the impact of Informaiton Communication Technology on Auditing Professionals: A Quantitative Studyl, Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, Volume 11 Issue 12, 476-488. http://www.joics.org/gallery/ics-1398-.pdf. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Tilahun, M. (2019). A Review on Determinants of Accounting Information System Adoption. Science Journal of Business and Management, 7(1), 17, DOI: 10.11648/j.sjbm.20190701.13.
- Turner, L., Weickgenannt, A. B., & Copeland, M. K. (2020). Accounting information systems: controls and processes. John Wiley & Sons. https://books.google.com.om/books? hl=en&lr=&id=lDLDDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA10&dq=Turner,+L.,+Weickgenannt,+A.+B.,+%26+Copeland,+M.+K.+(2020).+Accounting+information+systems:+controls+and+processes.+John+Wiley+%26+Sons.&ots=Jz1r6Sq-AF&sig=1QmtHVTmi0vilg1CtAT0TMv26bk&redir_esc=y#v=onepag e&q &f=false. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Udegbunam, E. O., Uchenu, C. A., Odimmega, C. G., & Nwogu, M. C. (2017). Electronic Accounting A Tool for Quality Management of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (Smes) in the 21st Century Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Business Education (NIGJBED), 5(2), 86-95. http://www.nigjbed.com.ng/index.php/nigjbed/article/view/244. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Valerie, O., Abolade, F., & Rowland, W. (2019). Accounting Software and Resolution to Financial Insolvency in Nigeria: A Meta-Analysis. Covenant Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 10(2).http://journals.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/index.php/cjbss/article/view/1801. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Yvonne, C., & Nizam, I. (2018). The impact of accounting software on business performance. International Journal of Information System and Engineering, DOI: 10.24924/ijise/2018.04/v6.iss1/01.26.
- Zimmerman, J., & Libby, D. V. (2017). Basic Bookkeeping and Accounting for the Private Practitioner. Handbook of Private Practice: Keys to Success for Mental Health Practitioners. https://books.google.com.om/books?hl=en&lr=&id=9NZKDgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT224&dq=Zimmerman,+J.,+%26+Libby,+D.+V.+(2017).+BASIC+BOOKKEEPING+AND+ACCOUNTING+FOR+THE+PRIVATE+PRACTITIONER.+Handbook+of+Private+Practice:+Keys+to+Success+for+Mental+Health+Practitioners&ots=NTjm-yXdG_&sig=G2ZNbtycXg5MoOEYbDluBq6_ J6Y&redir_esc=y#v= onepage&q&f=false. Accessed 12 May 2020.
- Zotorvie, J. S. T. (2017). A study of Financial Accounting Practices of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs) in Ho Municipality, Ghana. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 7(7), 29-39, DOI: 10.6007/IJARBSS/v7-i7/3075.
- International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Official website of the IFRS. Retrieved from https://www.ifrs.org/issued-standards/list-of-standards/. Accessed April 17,2020.
- Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB). Official website of FASB. Retrieved from https://www.fasb.org/home. Accessed April 17, 2020.
- Applicability of IFRS in Oman. Retrieved from https://www.ifrs.org/use-around-the-world/use-of-ifrs-standards-by-jurisdiction/oman/. Accessed on April 17,2020.
- Promulgating the Commercial Company Law. Retrieved from https://www.cma.gov.om/Home/ CircularFileDownlad/5397. Accessed April 17,2020.
- Capital Market Authority of Oman. Retrieved from https://www.cma.gov.om/. Accessed April 17,2020.