PhD, Dr, Lecturer in Accounting Information Systems, Coventry University, Coventry, UK
PhD, Professor in Finance, American University of Malta, Bormla, Malta
University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
Adjunct Professor, LUISS – Guido Carli University, Rome, Italy
The digitalization of technologies for the functioning of the country’s economy, in particular banking institutions, has made a significant impetus to accelerate their development. It is stated that the use of advanced information technologies in the banking sector of the economy (which was gradually formalized into the concept of “online banking”) has greatly facilitated the implementation of financial transactions, in particular, minimized the physical circulation of money. The purpose of the article is to study the features and principles of online banking on the example of the Italian bank WIDIBA. Methodical support of the paper includes a method of analysis of specific situations. The key components of the case method of the study are: research on the basis of literature review; formalization of key theses (issues) in the context of the unresolved part of the study; accumulation and analysis of collected information; identification of key features of the issue. This research was carried out in the light of two aspects: the strategic principles of the spread of online banking in Italy; digital technologies in the context of the strategic perspective of the Italian bank WIDIBA. The paper considers the historical aspects of the introduction and use of online banking services. It is noted that in Italy today there are 207 publicly registered commercial establishments, of which 81 are located abroad, and 6 operate mostly in the format of providing online banking services. The object of this research is the activity of the Italian bank WIDIBA, which is justified by its valuable practical experience in formalizing a plan of adequate timely strategy for entering the market of online banking services on the basis of a carefully developed development strategy. The theoretical researches were carried out in the work, in particular, in the following directions: definition of strategic actions of bank establishment according to a time lag of functioning; analysis of the budget of the banking institution (net profitability, interest margin, operating and administrative expenses, etc.); analysis of the income statement of the bank (the ratio of net profit and loss, interest margin and brokerage margin); work with financial report or balance sheet data on the structure of assets, liabilities and investments, retained earnings; study of trend dynamics of cash flows (operational, financial, investment and free cash flows). Excellent strategies are analyzed, which demonstrate how the banking sector is extremely dynamic and, that technological investments still allow easier access to new operators in case of the implementation of innovation strategies.
Keywords: Online banks; online banking; electronic banking; fintech; financial services; WIDIBA; banking sector; banks’ strategies.
JEL Classification: G21, G29.
Cite as: Faccia, A., Moşteanu, N. R., Cavaliere, L. P. L., Santis, G. (2020). The rise of online banks in Italy “WIDIBA Bank” Case Study. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(2), 80-97. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(2).80-97.2020.
- Al-Mudimigh, A. S. (2003). E-business strategy in an online banking services: a case study. The Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 12(1), 1-8.
- Al-Somali, S. A., Gholami, R., & Clegg, B. (2009). An investigation into the acceptance of online banking in Saudi Arabia. Technovation, 29(2), 130-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2008.07.004
- Bremus, F., Buch, C., Russ, K., & Schnitzer, M. (2013). Big banks and macroeconomic outcomes: Theory and cross-country evidence of granularity (No. w19093). National Bureau of Economic Research. DOI: 10.1111/jmcb.12545
- CBINSIGHTS, March 8, 2018. The Challenger Bank Playbook: How 6 Digital Banking Startups are Taking on Retail Banking. Retrieved online on March 21, 2020 from https://www.cbinsights.com/research/challenger-bank-strategy/
- Corcoran, P. B., Walker*, K. E., & Wals, A. E. (2004). Case studies, make‐your‐case studies, and case stories: a critique of case‐study methodology in sustainability in higher education. Environmental Education Research, 10(1), 7-21. http://www.educationarena.com/educationarena/sample/sample _pdfs7/ceer10_1.pdf
- Davis, F.D. (1986) Technology Acceptance Model for Empirically Testing New End-user Information Systems Theory and Results Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, MIT.
- DeYoung, R. (2001). The financial performance of pure play Internet banks. Economic Perspectives-Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, 25(1), 60-73. Handle: RePEc:fip:fedhep:y:2001:i:qi:p:60-78:n:v.25no.1
- Dover, P. A. (1987). Innovation in banking: the in‐home computerised banking example. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb010798
- Dover, P. A. (1993). Why home banking bombed in Britain. Journal of Retail Banking, 15(4), 30-39.
- Faccia, A. (2019, August). Data and Information Flows: Assessing Threads and Opportunities to Ensure Privacy and Investment Returns. In Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing, 54-59. https://doi.org/10.1145/3358505.3358508.
- Faccia, A., & Mosteanu, N. R. (2019). Tax evasion_information system and blockchain. Journal of Information Systems & Operations Management, 13(1). http://jisom.rau.ro/Vol.13%20No.1%20-%202019/JISOM-SU19-A07.pdf
- Faccia, A., Al Naqbi, M. Y. K., & Lootah, S. A. (2019b, August). Integrated Cloud Financial Accounting Cycle: How Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, and XBRL will Change the Accounting, Fiscal and Auditing Practices. In Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing, 31-37. https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3358505.3358507
- Faccia, A., Moşteanu, N. R., Fahed, M., & Capitanio, F. (2019, August). Accounting Information Systems and ERP in the UAE: An Assessment of the Current and Future Challenges to Handle Big Data. In Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing, 90-94. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3358505.3358509
- Faccia, A., Moşteanu, N. R., Fahed, M., & Capitanio, F. (2019a, August). Accounting Information Systems and ERP in the UAE: An Assessment of the Current and Future Challenges to Handle Big Data. In Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing, 90-94. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3358505.3358509
- Fang, X., & Zhan, J. (2010, May). Online banking authentication using mobile phones. In 2010 5th International Conference on Future Information Technology, 1-5. IEEE. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224144632_Online_Banking_Authentication_Using_Mobile_Phones
- Guraău, C. (2002). Online banking in transition economies: the implementation and development of online banking systems in Romania. International journal of bank marketing. https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/235310620_Online_banking_in_transition_economies_The_implementation_and_development_of_online_banking_systems_in_Romania
- Hole, K. J., Moen, V., & Tjostheim, T. (2006). Case study: Online banking security. IEEE Security & Privacy, 4(2), 14-20. DOI: 10.1109/MSP.2006.36
- Hossain, S. A., Bao, Y., Hasan, N., & Islam, M. F. (2020). Perception and prediction of intention to use online banking systems. International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science (2147-4478), 9(1), 112-116. https://doi.org/10.20525/ijrbs.v9i1.591. https://www.cio.com/article/3366427/mps-widiba-bridging-the-past-embracing-the-future.html
- Hua, G. (2008). An experimental investigation of online banking adoption in China. AMCIS 2008 Proceedings, 36. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/An-Experimental-Investigation-of-Online-Banking-in-Hua/824d0b3068c38d5f1dcfa120ad35b383f16500fa
- Iyengar, J., & Belvalkar, M. (2009, October). Case study of online banking in India: User behaviors and design guidelines. In IFIP Working Conference on Human Work Interaction Design (pp. 180-188). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01056243
- Yan, J., Yu, W., & Zhao, J. L. (2015). How signaling and search costs affect information asymmetry in P2P lending: the economics of big data. Financial Innovation, 1(1), 19. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40854-015-0018-1
- Keivani, F. S., Jouzbarkand, M., Khodadadi, M., & Sourkouhi, Z. K. (2012). A General View on the E-banking. International Proceedings of Economics Development & Research, 43, 62.
- Kettinger, W. J., Teng, J. T., & Guha, S. (1997). Business process change: a study of methodologies, techniques, and tools. MIS quarterly, 55-80. DOI: 10.2307/249742
- Khalfan, A. M. S., AlRefaei, Y. S., & Al-Hajery, M. (2006). Factors influencing the adoption of Internet banking in Oman: a descriptive case study analysis. International journal of financial services management, 1(2-3), 155-172. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJFSM.2006.009623
- Kim, K. H., Hwang, M. S., Jae, E. Y., Jun, S. H., & Kwon, M. C. (2016). A Study on Message Queue Safe Proper Time for Open API Fast Identity Online Fintech Architecture. International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, 10(5), 33-44. https://www.earticle.net/Article/A275425
- Lavenja, C., & Hatammimi, J. (2015). Factors Affecting the Inten tion to Reuse Mobile Banking Service. International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science. https://doi.org/10.20525/ijrbs.v4i4.15
- Loonam, M., & O’loughlin, D. (2008). Exploring e‐service quality: a study of Irish online banking. Marketing Intelligence & Planning. https://doi.org/10.1108/02634500810916708
- Mbama, C. I., & Ezepue, P. O. (2018). Digital banking, customer experience and bank financial performance. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-11-2016-0181
- Mcnamara, M. R. (2009). U.S. Patent No. 7,575,166. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. https://patents.google.com/patent/US7575166B2/en
- Mia, M. A. H., Rahman, M. A., & Uddin, M. (2007). E-Banking: Evolution, Status and Prospect. The Cost and Management, 35(1). doi:10.1108/09590550410538006
- Moşteanu, N. R., & Faccia, A. (2020). Digital Systems and New Challenges of Financial Management-FinTech, XBRL, Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies. Quality-Access to Success, 21(174).
- Moşteanu, N. R. (2020a). Digitalization and green economy – changing the business perspective. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing, Liverpool, UK, August. DOI10.34218/IJM.11.4.2020.018
- Moşteanu, N. R. (2020b). Management of Disaster and Business Continuity in a Digital World. International Journal of Management. 11(04), p.169-177. DOI10.34218/IJM.11.4.2020.018
- Moşteanu, N. R. (2020c). Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Security – A Shield against Cyberattack as a Risk Business Management Tool – Case of European Countries. Quality-Access to Success Journal, 21(175), p.148-156
- Moşteanu, N. R. (2019a). International Financial Markets face to face with Artificial Intelligence and Digital Era. Theoretical and Applied Economics. 3(620), Autumn, p.123-133.
- Moşteanu, N. R. (2019b). Intelligent Foreign Direct Investments to boost economic development – UAE case study. The Business & Management Review, 10(2), p.1-9.
- Moşteanu, N. R. (2019c). Principles of International Finance, Banking and Taxation. Publisher Universitara, Bucuresti, Romania, ISBN 978-606-28-0965-2, DOI 10.5682/9786062809652, p.99-106.
- Moşteanu, N. R., AlGhaddaf, C., Moşteanu, T. & Butorianu, M. M. (2019). Finance: Challenges of Digital Era. Publisher: Universitara, Bucuresti, Romania, ISBN 978-606-28-0927-0, DOI:10.5682/9786062809270, p.92-96.]
- Nochai, R., & Nochai, T. (2013). The impact of internet banking service on customer satisfaction in Thailand: A case study in Bangkok. International Journal of Humanities and Management Sciences (IJHMS), 1(1), 101-105. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-Impact-of-Internet-Banking-Service-on-Customer-Nochai-Nochai/0f8abe2f5ee4443e31acc7fd8d3ea0aebca8c85b
- Omonaiye, J. F., Lalitha, V. M., Khan, H. U., Fournier-Bonilla, S. D., & Singh, R. (2015, November). Ability and hurdle to provide Banking online services: A case study of banking employees in Nigeria. In 2015 IEEE 2nd International Conference on Cyber Security and Cloud Computing (pp. 482-487). IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/CSCloud.2015.48
- Perkins, E. D., & Annan, J. (2013). Factors affecting the adoption of online banking in Ghana: implications for bank managers. International Journal of Business and Social Research (IJBSR), 3(6), 94-108. DOI: 10.18533/ijbsr.v3i6.49
- Petratos, P., & Faccia, A. (2019, August). Accounting Information Systems and System of Systems: Assessing Security with Attack Surface Methodology. In Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing, 100-105. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/ 10.1145/3358505.3358513
- Pikkarainen, K., Pikkarainen, T., Karjaluoto, H., & Pahnila, S. (2006). The measurement of end‐user computing satisfaction of online banking services: empirical evidence from Finland. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320610659012
- Ramachandran, N., Sedlock, G. T., Lewis, K. R., Price III, C. D., & Lute Jr, R. C. (1996). U.S. Patent No. 5,483,047. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Research in Business and Social Science, 4, 2147-4478. doi:10.20525/ijrbs.v4i4.15
- Saeednia, H., & Abdollahi, H. (2012). Factors affecting client trust in online banking-A case study of Saman Bank. International journal of economics and business modeling, 3(1), 149. https://bioinfo publication.org/files/articles/3_1_1_IJEBM.pdf
- Saksonova, S., & Kuzmina-Merlino, I. (2017). Fintech as financial innovation–The possibilities and problems of implementation. European Research Studies, 20(3A), 961. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ 161c/76a57374bb301aa1c25b7e917d27f6e1bdc0.pdf
- Schueffel, P. (2016). Taming the beast: a scientific definition of fintech. Journal of Innovation Management, 4(4), 32-54. DOI: 10.24840/2183-0606_004.004_0004
- Sikdar, P., Kumar, A., & Makkad, M. (2015). Online banking adoption. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-11-2014-0161
- Srivastava, U., & Gopalkrishnan, S. (2015). Impact of big data analytics on banking sector: Learning for Indian banks. Procedia Computer Science, 50, 643-652. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.04.098
- Tait, F., & Davis, R. H. (1989). The development and future of home banking. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000001452
- Tan, K. S., Chong, S. C., Loh, P. L., & Lin, B. (2010). An evaluation of e-banking and m-banking adoption factors and preference in Malaysia: a case study. International Journal of Mobile Communications, 8(5), 507-527. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMC.2010.034935
- Tonchia, S., & Quagini, L. (2010). The Monte dei Paschi di Siena “Controlling Data Farm”, the CPM of the Oldest Bank in the World. In Performance Measurement, 113-133. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-13235-3_8
- Tsang, E. W. (2013). Case study methodology: Causal explanation, contextualization, and theorizing. Journal of international management, 19(2), 195-202. https://ideas.repec.org/a/eee/intman/ v19y2013i2p195-202.html
- Yoon, C. (2010). Antecedents of customer satisfaction with online banking in China: The effects of experience. Computers in Human Behavior, 26(6), 1296-1304. https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1016 /j.chb.2010.04.001
- Zivkovic, J. (2012). Strengths and weaknesses of business research methodologies: Two disparate case studies. Business Studies Journal, 4(2), 91-99. https://www.abacademies.org/articles /bsjvol422 012.pdf#page=97