Dr, Former Principal and Associated, Lincoln University College, Malaysia
The article attempts to study trends, seasonal variations and cyclical fluctuations of Ukraine’s quarterly GDP at current prices. The period of the study is from the first quarter of 2010 to the first quarter of 2020. The methodological support of the study includes an approach based on the Hamilton regression filter, the Hodrick-Prescott filter and the asymmetric filter model of Cristiano and Fitzgerald. Based on the use of a Hamilton regression filter, which clearly gives one complete cycle with a peak and a depression, the study substantiates that the seasonally adjusted series of GDP has a slight difference with the remainder, but its seasonal fluctuations are homogeneous and have the shape of the letter V, which allowed us to draw the following conclusions: seasonal fluctuations in GDP are confirmed by the ACF and PACF models during the study period; the filter is very different from the Hamilton filter in terms of trend and cycle, but has common features in the context of asymmetry in time with the random walk filter of Cristiano and Fitzgerald. The paper substantiates the conclusions about stable and stationary series of GDP by volatility (leading to a decrease) of cyclical fluctuations based on the used forecast model ARIMA (4,0,4) for 2020-2030, which passed through the Hamilton regression filter. Based on the results of the study, the author provides recommendations on the need to introduce a new monetary and fiscal policy, including reform measures, which should be balanced with current trends in the functioning and development of international financial institutions and organizations. Such changes will be a motivating lever for the growth of the share of agriculture and related activities, production, transport, real estate, capital formation and other macroeconomic indicators of Ukraine’s economy, respectively, during the period of GDP decline.
Keywords: Gross Domestic Product, decomposition, trends, cyclical fluctuations, seasonal variations, Hamilton Filter, Hodrick-Prescott Filter.
JEL Classification: C20, C32, E32, E41, N10, O47.
Cite as: Bhowmik, D.(2020). Trends, Cycles and Seasonal Variations of Ukrainian Gross Domestic Product. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(3), 80-94. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(3).80-94.2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Baxter, M., & King, R. G. (1999). Measuring business cycles: Approximate band-pass filters for economic Time Series. Review of Economics and Statistics,81(4),575-593. Retrieved from: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:tpr:restat:v:81:y:1999:i:4:p:575-593
- Bhowmik, Debesh. (2020). Cyclical and seasonal patterns of India’s GDP growth rate through the eyes of Hamilton and Hodrick Prescott Filter models. Forthcoming.
- Bjomland, Hilde Christiane. (2000, August). Detrending Methods and Stylized Facts of Business Cycles in Norway-An international Comparison. Empirical Economics,25(3),369-392. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001810000023
- Bosupeng, Mphs. (2019). Forecasting Tourism Demand: The Hamilton Filter. Annals of Tourism Research,79, 102823. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2019.102823
- Box, George., & Jenkins, Gwilym. (1976). Time Series Analysis, Forecasting and Control. San Francisco: Holden Day. ISBN 10: 0816211043 / ISBN 13: 9780816211043
- Burns, A.F., & Mitchell, W.C. (1946). Measuring Business Cycles. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research. Retrived from: https://econpapers.repec.org/RePEc:nbr:nberbk:burn46-1.
- Christiano, L.J., & Fitzgerald, T. J. (2003). The band pass filter. International Economic Review,44(2),435-465. Retrieved from: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:ier:iecrev:v:44:y:2003:i:2:p:435-465
- Colak, Mehmet Selman., Guney, Ibrahim Ethem., Senol, Ahmet., & Yilmaz, Muhammad Hasan. (2019). Monitoring and forecasting Cyclical Dynamics in Bank Credits: Evidence from Turkish Banking Sector. Working Papers-1929, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey. Retrieved from: https://ideas.repec.org/p/tcb/wpaper/1929.html
- Cleveland, R.B., Cleveland, W.S., McRac, J.E., & Terpenning, I. (1990). STL : A Seasonal-Trend Decomposition Procedure Based on Loess. Journal of Official Statistics, 6(1),3-33. Retrived from: http://bit.ly/stl1990
- Diallo, Ibrahima Amadou. (2018). Hamilton Filter: State module to calculate the Hamilton filter for a Simple Time Series or for a Panel Dataset. Statistical Software Components, s458449. Retrieved from: http://fmwww.bc.edu/reec/bocode/h/hamiltonfilter.ado
- Dias, Maria Helena Amorosio., & Dias, Joilson. (2010, May). Measuring the Cyclical component of a Time Series: Proposal of a New Methodology. Brazilian Review of Econometrics, 30(1), 91-122. Retrieved from: http://bibliotecadigital.fgv.br/ojs/index.php/bre/article/download/3503/2211
- Dolado, Juan J., Sebastian, Miguel., & Valles, Javier. (1993). Cyclical Patterns of the Spanish Economy. Investigaciones Economicas,17(3),445-473. Retrieved from: https://ideas.repec.org/a/iec/inveco/ v17y1993i3p445-473.html<
- Gali, J. (1999, March). Technology, Employment and the Business Cycle: Do Technology shocks explain Aggregate Fluctuations? American Economic Review,89(1),249-271. Retrieved from: https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/aer.89.1.249
- Hamilton, J.D. (1989, March). A New Approach to the economic analysis of non-stationary time series and the business cycle. Econometrica, 57(2),357-384. Retrieved from: https://ideas.repec.org/a/ecm/emetrp/ v57y1989i2p357-84.html
- Hamilton, J. D. (2018). Why you should never use the Hodrick Prescott Filter. Review of Economics and Statistics,100(5),831-843. Retrieved from: https://ideas.repec.org/a/tpr/restat/v100y2018i5p831-843.html
- Havlik, P., Kochnev, A., & Pindyuk, O. (2020, June). Economic challenges and costs of reintegrating the Donbas region in Ukraine. Research Report 447, WIIW. Retrieved from: https://wiiw.ac.at/economic-challenges-and-costs-of-reintegrating-the-donbas-region-in-ukraine-dlp-5351.pdf
- Henderson, Robert. (1916). Note on Graduation by Adjusted Average. Transactions of the Actuarial Society of America,17,43-48. Retrieved from: https://rivista-statistica.unibo.it/article/view/3597
- Hodrick, R.J., & Prescott, E.C. (1997, February). Post-war US Business Cycles :An Empirical Investigation. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 29(1),1-16. Retrieved from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2953682
- Hodrick, R, J. (2020, February). An explanation of trend-cycle decomposition methodologies in simulated data. NBER Working Paper-26750. Retrieved from: https://www.nber.org/papers/w26750
- Kushnirsky, F.I., & Maksymenko, S.V. (2016, October). Ukraine’s regional economic growth and analysis of regional disparity.Working Paper Series-17/00,University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved from: https://www.econ. pitt.edu/sites/default/files/WP%2017-002.upload.pdf.
- Lebedeva, L et al. (2019). Estimation of resilience of Ukrainian industry to shock influences: Comparative analysis. EUREKA: Social and Humanities, Number 1,20-34. DOI: 10.21303/2504-5571.2019.00816. Retrieved from: http://eu-jr.eu/social/article/download/816/834
- Liu, Philip. (2008). The Role of International shocks in Australia’s Business Cycle. Research Discussion Paper-RDP2008-08. Reserve Bank of Australia. Retrieved from: https://www.rba.gov.au/publications/ rdp/2008/pdf/rdp2008-08.pdf<
- Pieńkowski, Jerzy. (2020, April). The Impact of Labour Migration on the Ukrainian Economy. EU Discussion Paper 123. doi:10.2765/450169. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/economic-and-financial-affairs-publications_en.
- Pollock, D. Stephen G. (2018, July). Filters, Waves and Spectra.Econometrics,6,35,1-33. http://doi.org/10.3390/econometrics6030035
- Prescott, E. (1986). Theory Ahead of Business-Cycle Measurement. Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,25,11-44. Retrieved from: https://casee.asu.edu/upload/Prescott/1986-RBCRERAP-Theory%20Ahead% 20of%20 Business%20Cycle%20Measurement.pdf
- Schuler, Y.S. (2018). On the Cyclical properties of Hamilton’s regression filter. Discussion Paper-03, Deutsche Bundesbank. Retrieved from: www.econstor.eu › bitstream<
- Strzelecki,P. et al.(2020). The contribution of immigration from Ukraine to economic growth in Poland. NBP Working Paper 322.Warsaw. Retrieved from: https://www.nbp.pl/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/322_en.pdf
- Tkalenko, Svitlana., & Glushchenk, Svitlana. (2016).Threats and benefits of exchange rate regimes for Ukraine in terms of European integration. Baltic Journal of Economic Studies,2(2),32-39. Retrieved from: http://www.baltijapublishing.lv/index.php/issue/article/download/77/82/
- Toledo Neto, C.C. (2004). Ciclos do Produts Brasileiro Decomposicao e Analise em “Tempo Real”. PhD Thesis. FEA-USP. Retrieved from: http://bibliotecadigital.fgv.br/ojs/index. php/bre/article/download/ 3503/2211<
- World Food Programme. (2018). Ukraine Socio-Economic and Market Review 2018. Retrieved from: https://docs.wfp.org/api/documents/WFP-0000104176/download/
- Yogo, M. (2008). Measuring business cycles: A Wavelet analysis of economic time series. Economic Letters, 100(2), 208-212. Retrieved from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165-1765(08)00012-8
- Zalgiryte, Lina., & Giziene, Vilda. (2014). The analysis of trends in GDP and Cyclical nature of GDP changes in Baltic States. Social and Behavioural Science,156,371-375. Retrieved from: https://cyberleninka.org/article/n/1355134
- Zarnowitz, Victor., & Ozyildirim, Ataman. (2002, January). Time Series Decomposition and Measurement of Business Cycles, Trends and Growth Cycles. NBER, Working Paper-w8736. Retrieved from: https://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberwo/8736.html