PhD, Lecturer, Coventry University, United Kingdom
University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
Given the great interest and impact generated by the previous article on the “Widiba Bank” case study published in this journal, the authors intend now to provide more insights on the analysis of the current Italian framework. A PESTLE analysis is therefore carried out to identify the main financial and environmental alternative strategies. The object of research is the chosen company Widiba Bank because, despite being a latecomer in the Italian online banking industry, its success demonstrated the importance of the adoption of targeted strategies in the digitized world. The performed analysis PESTLE allowed to provide many insights from different perspectives. The paper then confirmed the analyses by comparing the last 5 years’ performances (measured by the ROE ratio and Deposits Growth as Inputs, and Assets Growth as an Output) of the Italian Online Banking industry (average of the years 2016-2019). The data are retrieved from the Italian Public Registry of Incorporated Companies (managed by the Italian Chambers of Commerce) and processed using the DEA SOLVER software. This article strategically enhanced the knowledge of a previous one focused on the same bank by providing different perspectives and, therefore, a comprehensive view of the Widiba bank case study. It, therefore, aims at producing useful resources for business schools, practitioners, and experts.
Keywords: PESTLE Analysis, Widiba Bank, Online Banking, DEA analysis, Italy, Fintech.
JEL Classification: G21, O35, D79.
Cite as: Alessio Faccia, Luigi Pio Leonardo Cavaliere. (2021). Online Banking in Italy. “Widiba Bank” Case Study, PESTLE and DEA Analysis. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 5(1), 87-97. https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.5(1).87-97.2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Faccia, A., Moşteanu, N. R., Cavaliere, L. P. L., & Santis, G. (2020). The rise of online banks in Italy “WIDIBA Bank” Case Study. Financial Markets, Institutions, and Risk, 4(2). https://doi.org/10.21272/fmir.4(2).80-97.2020.
- Starnawska, S. E. (2021). Sustainability in the Banking Industry Through Technological Transformation. In The Palgrave Handbook of Corporate Sustainability in the Digital Era (pp. 429-453). Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-42412-1_22
- Cooper, W. W., Seiford, L. M., & Tone, K. (2006). Introduction to data envelopment analysis and its uses: with DEA-solver software and references. Springer Science & Business Media. Retrieved from: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9780387452814
- Visco, I., Keynote speech by the SRB Chair at the Banca d’Italia workshop on the crisis management framework for banks in the EU on 15th January 2021 (virtual event) “The crisis management framework for banks in the EU: what can be done with small and medium-sized banks?” Retrieved from: https://srb.europa.eu/en/node/1118
- Carmignani, A., Manile, M., Orame, A., & Pagnini, M. (2020). Servizi bancari online e dinamica degli sportelli bancari (Online Banking Services and Branch Networks). Bank of Italy Occasional Paper, (543). Retrieved from: https://www.osservatori.net/it/ricerche/comunicati-stampa/fintech-digital-finance-quale-modello-per-litalia
- Moşteanu, D., Roxana, N., Faccia, D., Cavaliere, L. P. L., & Bhatia, S. (2020). Digital technologies’ implementation within financial and banking system during socio distancing restrictions–back to the future. International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering and Technology, 11(6). Retrieved from: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3650810
- Mosteanu, N. R., & Faccia, A. (2021). Fintech Frontiers in Quantum Computing, Fractals, and Blockchain Distributed Ledger: Paradigm Shifts and Open Innovation. Journal of Open Innovation: Technology, Market, and Complexity, 7(1), 19. https://doi.org/10.3390/joitmc7010019
- Nguyen, D. T. T., Diaz-Rainey, I., & Roberts, H. (2020). The Impact of Banking Integration on East Asian Commercial Banks. Macroeconomic Stabilization in the Digital Age, 141
- Phan, S. (2021). The effect of PESTLE factors on development of e-commerce. International Journal of Data and Network Science, 5(1), 37-42. Retrieved from: http://www.growingscience.com/ijds/ Vol5/ijdns_2020_28.pdf
- Cadle, J., Paul, D., & Turner, P. (2010). Business analysis techniques. British Informatics Society Limited.Retrieved from: https://www.academia.edu/11176141/Business_Analysis_Techniques_72_ Essential _Tools_for_Success
- Sanjeepan, N. (2017). Strategic Analysis and Strategic Planning for Commercial Banking (An Analysis based a Commercial Bank operating in Sri Lanka). Retrieved from: https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Strategic-Analysis-and-Strategic-Planning-for-(An-a-Sanjeepan/2de 4c86112adf0faf107932d52a19ccb5bd1f7ca
- Acharya, R. N., Kagan, A., & Lingam, S. R. (2008). Online banking applications and community bank performance. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320810902442
- Sikdar, P., & Makkad, M. (2015). Online banking adoption. International Journal of Bank Marketing. Retrieved from: https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/journal/ijbm
- Boni, K., & Tsekeris, C. (2007). Electronic Banking. The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781405165518.wbeose103
- Dover, P. A. (1988). The Effect of Technology Selection on Consumer Adoption of In‐home Computerised Banking. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb010829
- Tait, F., & Davis, R. H. (1989). The development and future of home banking. International Journal of Bank Marketing, 7(2), 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000001452
- Sharma, S. (2014). The Pragmatic Review On Internet Banking And Associated Services In India. International Journal of Computing and Corporate Research, 4(4). Retrieved from: https://www.ijccr.com/July2014/20.pdf
- Walker, T., & Morris, L. (2021). The Handbook of Banking Technology. John Wiley & Sons. Retrieved from: https://www.fintechfutures.com/library/the-handbook-of-banking-technology/
- Abidin, Z., Prabantarikso, R. M., Wardhani, R. A., & Endri, E. (2021). Analysis of Bank Efficiency Between Conventional Banks and Regional Development Banks in Indonesia. The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics, and Business, 8(1), 741-750. https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2021.vol8.no1.741
- Wu, D. D., Yang, Z., & Liang, L. (2006). Efficiency analysis of cross-region bank branches using fuzzy data envelopment analysis. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 181(1), 271-281. Retrieved from: https://www.infona.pl/resource/bwmeta1.element.elsevier-702e0ed9-5eaf-3258-81ac-2ceaa80a37a2
- Rehman, R. U., Zhang, J., Ali, R., & Qadeer, A. (2015). Does growing economy and better governance impede banking efficiency? A DEA analysis. Journal of Applied Business Research (JABR), 31(6), 2213-2224. https://doi.org/10.19030/jabr.v31i6.9478
- Piccinini, D., Giunchi, C., Olivieri, M., Frattini, F., Di Giovanni, M., Prodi, G., & Chiarabba, C. (2020). COVID-19 lockdown and its latency in Northern Italy: seismic evidence and socio-economic interpretation. Scientific reports, 10(1), 1-10. Retrieved from: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-73102-3