Sumy State University, Ukraine
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Bystrzyca Kłodzka, Poland
The article considers creating regional clusters to develop peripheral regions on the example of the Sumy region (Ukraine). The purpose of the paper is to determine the possibility of creating a medical engineering cluster in the city of Sumy and Sumy region, which will potentially increase the level of socio-economic development of the region. The urgency of solving this scientific problem lies in eliminating the disparity in the economic and social development of the regions. It is especially critical for peripheral regions, which are significantly inferior to industrial centers. It leads to some negative consequences, including a decrease in the region’s investment attractiveness, the outflow of intellectual capital, and a negative balance of population growth. If this problem is not solved, it will lead to the formation of depressed regions and the deepening of social problems, the need to solve which will create additional burdens and state and local budgets. Systematization of literature sources and approaches to solving the problem of creating industrial clusters allows identifying key issues that should be taken into account when analyzing the existing conditions and prospects for building clusters. It also allowed us to determine the algorithm for creating an industrial cluster. The methodological tools of the study were taxonomy to systematize approaches to the analysis of industrial clusters and SWOT analysis to identify strengths and weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that exist concerning the creation of medical engineering cluster in the study region. The study of the possibility of creating a medical engineering cluster on the Sumy and Sumy region territory in the article is carried out in the following logical sequence. First, the theoretical and methodological approaches to the definition of «cluster» and their classification are systematized. Second, the key benefits of stakeholders from building an industrial cluster are identified. Third, the cluster creation cycle is formed. Fourth, an analysis of the current state of development of industrial production, health care, and the scientific and educational potential of the region. Fifth, SWOT analysis of the creation of a medical engineering cluster in the Sumy region was carried out.
Keywords: cluster, region, health, industry, educational and scientific potential.
JEL Classification: O14, P46, R11.
Cite as: Zaloha, O., Vakulenko, I., & A., Jasnikowski. (2020). Prerequisites and possibilities of creating a medical engineering cluster as the part of regional territorial marketing. Health Economics and Management Review, 1(2), 51-60. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2020.2-06
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Altukhova, N. V. (2015). Classification of economic clusters: a new combination of features. Symbol of Science, 4, 59-66.
- Baptista, A., Santos, D., & Henriques, E. (2013). ToolingEDGE – high performance and sustainable production. Paper presented at the Annual Technical Conference – ANTEC, Conference Proceedings, 3, 2500-2506
- Davies, G. H., Roderick, S., & Williams, M. (2018). A sub-regional innovation ecosystem? Life sciences and health in the Swansea Bay City Region. International Journal of Innovation and Regional Development, 8(4), 306-321. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- de Jager, K., Chimhundu, C., Saidi, T., & Douglas, T. S. (2019). Medical device innovation in South Africa: Evolution of collaboration networks (2001-2013). South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, 30(2), 26-44. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ekimova, K. V. (2009). Theoretical Aspects of Using Clusters in Forming Competitive Economy. Herald of the Urals Institute of Economics, Management and Law, (2), 48-58. [Google Scholar]
- Enright, M. J. (2003). Regional Clusters: What We Know and What We Should Know. Innovation Clusters and Interregional Competition, 99-129. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hart, D.A. (2012). Innovation clusters: basic ideas. Retrieved from http [Link]
- Ivchenko, O.V. (2009). Quality management of instrumental preparation of multiproduct machine-building manufacturing. Master’s dissertation for the Candidate of Sciences degree in Engineering on specialty 05.01.02 – standardization, certification and metrological assurance. Kyiv National University of Technologies and Design, Kyiv. [Google Scholar]
- Kuo, Y. S., Kuo, T. K., Lu, H. P., & Minshall, T. (2013). Exploring an effective model of new product development in medical devices: a knowledge cluster approach. International Journal of Technology Management, 63(3-4), 295-312. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lu, S. (2011). Evaluation report on innovative power of heilongjiang medical industrial cluster. Paper presented at the 2011 International Conference on Management Science and Industrial Engineering, MSIE 2011, 958-961. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Main Department of Statistics in Sumy region (2020). Retrieved from [Link]
- Papizh, Yu. (2014). Definition of territorial–and–production clusters for mining regions. Economic scope, 90, 187–195.
- Perry, J. A. (1993, October). Silicon Glen: the Scottish Electronics Cluster. In Proceedings. IEEE/SEMI Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Conference and Workshop (pp. 75-75). IEEE. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Porter, M. (1998). On Competition.USA, Boston: Harvard Business School.
- Porter, M. (2006). E. Competition. Russia, Moskow: Williams Publishing House.
- Rosokhata, A., Letunovska, N., & Jasnikowski, A, (2020). Current issues of a healthy economy in the region: marketing aspects. Conference Proceedings of the 3 nd International Scientific Conference Economic and Social-Focused Issues of Modern World (November 17-18, 2020, Bratislava, Slovak Republic). The School of Economics and Management in Public Administration in Bratislava, 2020; pp. 41-43. [Link]
- Strategic development plan of Sumy State University for 2020–2026. Retrieved from [Link]
- Sumy city development strategy until 2030 (2019). Retrieved from [Link]
- Sumy State University (2020). Retrieved from [Link]
- Wang, X., Yan, Z., & Bai, S. (2011, November). The Constructive Research on the Evaluation Model of the Industry Cluster Competitiveness. In Engineering Education and Management: Vol 2, Results of the 2011 International Conference on Engineering Education and Management (ICEEM2011) (Vol. 112, p. 277). Springer Science & Business Media. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yeoh, K. C. (2008). Singapore’s biomedical sciences landscape. Journal of Commercial Biotechnology, 14(2), 141-148. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]