Svitlana Pokhylko, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5739-2795
Ph.D., Sumy State University, Ukraine
Monika Grabowska, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9627-0221
Ph.D., Wroslaw University of Economics and Business, Poland
Sumy State University, Ukraine
This paper considers the internationally leading models in administration work of family physicians, such as traditional care in outpatient clinics, disease control programs, and human-centered primary health care. The authors noted that the Ukrainian model of «human-oriented health care» is being confidently formed under the health care modernization and EU integration process. The authors found the reducing number of hospitalizations of the catchment population; decreasing mortality at home with cardiovascular disease, tuberculosis, diabetes; reducing the congenital malformations of children undetected during their mothers’ pregnancy. In addition, the study detected the growth of the visit number of the catchment population to the healthcare facilities for preventive purposes; an expanding the nursing of the number of one-year-old children; no cases of child deaths at home, etc. The findings showed that the process of administrative control and evaluation of the effectiveness of family physicians should be based on clearly defined criteria. Each head of the health care facility could set their own requirements for the effectiveness of primary care physicians. The specification of certain indicators for assessing the effectiveness of the family physicians covers the number, density, age, and sex of the population, morbidity, geographical and other characteristics. However, the lack of uniform requirements for administrative control and evaluation of the work of family physicians complicates the process of administering the work of primary care physicians, which needs to be further addressed. The article aims to analyze the effectiveness of the administration of family physicians in the Municipal non-profit enterprise of Konotop City Council «Konotop Municipal Hospital». The main problems and directions of improving the efficiency of administration of family physicians were highlighted. It was established that the most significant shortcomings were the absence of a website; insufficient number of practicing family physicians; dissatisfaction with wages; insufficient level of logistics; insufficient level of practical training of young specialists, etc. Family physicians also noted difficulties in the transition from working with paper documents to digital ones and weak Internet and poor performance of relevant servers. In turn, that affects the entire process of family physicians from the moment of registration (via the Internet or by phone) to the issuance of electronic prescriptions for medicines or sick leaves. Based on the study results, several recommendations were made to family physicians and hospital administration to increase their work efficiency.
Keywords: personnel administration, primary care setting, medical care, family physicians, administration efficiency.
JEL Classification: I115, I118, J21, M16.
Cite as: Pokhylko, S., Grabowska, M., & Nikitin. Yu. (2021). Necessary Transformation of Administration for Family Physicians Practice. Health Economics and Management Review, 2(3), 48-64. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2021.3-05
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Abrams, K. J., Learmonth, S., & Gibson, C. J. (2017). The Canadian Health Information Management Lifecycle Retrieved from [Link]
- Apaydin, E. (2020). Administrative Work and Job Role Beliefs in Primary Care Physicians: An Analysis of Semi-Structured Interviews. SAGE Open, 10(1). [Google Scholar]
- Bayeva, О. V. (2007). Basics of health management. Kyyiv, MAUP, 328. [Google Scholar]
- Bayeva, О. V., & Novalska, N. І. (2017). Management and administration. Kyiv, DP «Publisher «Personal», 326.
- Bayeva, О. V., & Radysha, Ya. F. (2008). Medical management: Conceptual and terminological dictionary. Kyiv, Personnel Publishing House, 212.
- Bilynska, М. М., & Popchenko, T. P. (2017). Development of intellectual and personnel management in public administration of health care. Head doctor, 11(79), 69–73. [Google Scholar]
- Danko, V. V. (2017). Management of health care institutions in modern conditions: theoretical aspect. The bulletin of the Kharkiv National Agricultural University of V. V. Dokuchaeva. Economic Science Series, 4, 225-233. [Google Scholar]
- Danyuk, V. М. (2013). Personal management. Kyiv, KNEU, 666.
- De Maeseneer, J. (2017). Family medicine and primary care. At the Crossroads of Societal Change, 1. [Google Scholar]
- Decyk, О. Z. (2013). Educational level of heads of health care institutions on health care quality management. Galician Medical Journal, 20, 1(1), 118-120.
- Didenko, V. М. (2008). Management. Kyiv: Kondor, 584 p.
- Dmytruk, О. V., Scinycka, О. М. (2018). Management of adaptation of health protection establishments’ staff in the new business environment. Pryazovskyi economic herald, 5(10), 182-186. [Google Scholar]
- Doroshenko ,G. О. (2015). Management. Kharkiv : «VSV-Print», 300 .
- Dutkevych, Т. V. (2005). Conflictology with the basics of management psychology. Kyiv, Center for Educational Literature, 455. [Google Scholar]
- Fedorenko, V. G. (2015). Management. Kyiv: Alerta, 492 p.
- Grabovskiy, V. А., & Klymenko, P. М. (2014). Systematic Approach to the Management of Health Care Institutions. Bulletin of the National Academy of Public Administration under the President of Ukraine, 3, 136-142. [Google Scholar]
- Hashim, M. J. (2016). Principles of family medicine and general practice–defining the five core values of the specialty. Journal of primary health care, 8(4), 283-287. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Korolenko, V. V., & Yurochko, T. P. (2018). Personnel policy in the field of health care in Ukraine in the context of European integration. Kyiv, КІМ, 96. [Google Scholar]
- Kumar, R. (2013). Role of Family Physicians in Healthcare System. Retrieved from [Link]
- Love, J. S., Wright, A., Simon, S. R., Jenter, C. A., Soran, C. S., Volk, L. A., … & Poon, E. G. (2012). Are physicians’ perceptions of healthcare quality and practice satisfaction affected by errors associated with electronic health record use?. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 19(4), 610-614. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Low of Ukraine “Fundamentals of the Legislation of Ukraine on Health Care”. Retrieved from: [Link]
- Markova, S. V., & Oliynyk, О. М. (2013). Personnel management. Zaporizhzhia: ЗНУ, 80.
- Mukhambekov, М. М. (2012). Management in healthcare. Moskva: RUDN, 372.
- Nagayev, V. М. (2018). Public administration. Kharkiv : ХНАУ, 278.
- Nazarko, S. О. (2020). Effective management of the medical institution in the context of health care reform. Retrieved from: [Link]
- Pariy, V. D. (2015). Economic analysis of resource use in the health care system. Zhytomyr, «Polissya», 148. [Google Scholar]
- Prokopec, L. V., & Todoriko, І. М. (2020). Personnel management in health care facilities. Market Infrastructure, 42, 267 -272.
- Quinn, M. A., Wilcox, A., Orav, J., Bates, D. W., & Simon, S. R. (2009). The relationship between perceived practice quality and quality improvement activities and physician practice dissatisfaction, professional isolation, and work-life stress. Medical care, 924-928. [Google Scholar]
- Rakel, D., & Rakel, R. E. (2015). Textbook of Family Medicine. 9 th ed. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2015. 1447 p. Retrieved from [Link]
- Rovenska, V. V., & Sarzhevska, Ye. О. (2019). Personnel management of health care institutions in the new economic conditions and prospects for development in Ukraine. Economic Bulletin of Donbass, 3(57), 162-168. [Google Scholar]
- Saphonov, Yu. М., & Borsch, V. І. (2019). Basic principles and features of healthcare strategic Management: a case of Ukrainian health care. Economics and management of the national economy, 8 (218), 62-69.
- Shevchenko, R. А., Matushak, A. V, & Denisenko, Ya. (2017). Medical management in emergency medicine as a guarantee of system efficiency. Emergency medicine: from science to practice, 4 (25), 23-33. [Google Scholar]
- Shevchenko, V.A. (2016). Foreign experience in managing health care facilities. Economic Bulletin of the Zaporizhia State Engineering Academy, 6 (2), 9-13. [Google Scholar]
- Shupa, L. Z. (2018). Management in insurance medicine. Investments: Practice and Experience, (14), 34-36.
- Smiyanov, V. А., Stepanenko, A. V., Petrenko, V. Yu., & Tarasenko, S. V. (2013). Organizational and methodological approach of medical care quality management in health care facility. Bulletin of Social Hygiene and Health Protection Organization of Ukraine, 3, 11-18.
- Stephanyshyn, L. С. (2019). Theoretical and methodological bases of strategic management by the health protection body. Market infrastructure, 30, 77-83.
- Tretiak, О. P. (2014). Role of Management of Staff in the Formation and Use of the Labor Potential of Medical Institutions. Business Inform, 11, 331-336. [Google Scholar]
- Vasylenko, V. А., & Shostka, V. І. (2003). Situational management. Kyiv.Retrieved from [Link]
- Vezhnovec, Т. А. (2012). Peculiarities of making administrative decisions by managers of healthcare establishments with different leadership experience. Clinical pharmacy, pharmacotherapy and medical standardization, 4, 138-143.
- Voronenko, Yu. V. (2015). New technologies of management training in medicine. Kyiv: Knyga plus, 419 . [Google Scholar]