Ph.D., Associate Professor,Sumy State University, Ukraine
Dr.Sc., Professor, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland
Sumy State University
Conflicts negatively affect the teamwork atmosphere. They lead to a deterioration of the psychological microclimate and reduce employability and deteriorate workers’ health. The authors noted that conflicts arise from different points of view, interests, manners, and management styles of conflict parties. Thus, an essential skill of any health care leader is the ability to prevent conflicts, reduce their negative consequences, resolve disputes, and create an atmosphere of mutual intelligibility. This study is devoted to conducting theoretical and practical research on conflict management in healthcare to form proposals for reducing the conflict level in healthcare institutions. The research uses methods of a systematic approach, sociological survey, testing, questionnaires, systematization, comparison, and logical generalization. The practical analysis of the conflict management process was carried out in the municipal non-profit enterprise of the Sumy Regional Council «Regional Diagnostic Center in Shostka». The study sample consists of ten doctors and ten nurses. This study conducted the following questionnaires: «Are you a conflicted person?»; «Assessment of patients’ conflict personality»; «Assessment of personality conflict»; «Assessment of balance in conflicts and propensity to nervous breakdowns», K. Thomas’ test «Identification of behaviors in conflict situations», A. Asinger’s methods of diagnosing aggression in the relationship. The findings showed that nurses are characterized by a higher level of personal conflict than doctors. Besides, in most conflict situations, health professionals prefer cooperation as a tactic of negotiation in conflicts. However, a third of conflict situations are characterized by the parties’ «opposition». The results showed that the most common conflict situations are the doctor-doctor and nurse-nurse. Conflicts between doctor-patient and nurse-patient occurred approximately equally. 75% of respondents indicated an average level of aggression. Based on the obtained results, to prevent and reduce the number of conflicts in health care institutions, the authors emphasized the importance of counseling and psychological work to resolve disputes, creating conditions for positive psychological relations between health professionals and patients, active use of information, communication, social-psychological, organizational technologies of conflict management.
Keywords: health, management system, conflict, conflict situation, healthcare institution.
JEL Classification: D74, I14, I15.
Cite as: Koibichuk, V., Dzwigol, G., & Stenko, S. (2021). Conflict Management in Health Care Institutions. Health Economics and Management Review, 2(4), 71-77. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2021.4-07
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Assinger’s test (assessment of aggressiveness in stoos). Retrieved from [Link]
- Aliyeva, Z. (2020). The Law Aspects in Health Management: A Bibliometric Analysis of Issues on the Injury, Damage and Harm in Criminal Law. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 293-305. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Behavior in a Conflict Situation, TKI (Thomas-Kielmann). Retrieved from [Link]
- Boulding, K. (1992). Towards a New Economics: Critical Essays on Ecology, Distribution, and Other Themes. Edward Elgar Publishing. 368 p. [Google Scholar]
- Coser, L. A. (1975). Presidential address: Two methods in search of a substance. American sociological review, 40(6), 691-700. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Didenko, V. M. (2008). Management: textbook. K .: Condor. 584 p.
- Dudar, T. G., Voloshin, R. V., & Dudar, V. T. (2013). Management: textbook. manual. K .: CUL. 336 p.
- Fedoseev, V. N., & Kapustin, S. N. (2004). Personnel management of the organization: Textbook M .: Publishing House «Exam».368 p.
- Fundamentals of Ukrainian legislation on health care (2021). Retrieved from [Link]
- Health Index. Ukraine. (2021). Retrieved from [Link]
- Kadar, B., & Reicher, R. Z. (2020). Innovations in health care management: the effect of the pandemic on the labour market change. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 120-130. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kaya, H. D. (2020). Business Friendliness, Firm Performance and Owner’s Optimism. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(3), 13-23. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kolomiiets, U., & Petrushenko, Y. (2017). The human capital theory. Encouragement and criticism. SocioEconomic Challenges, 1 (1), 77-80. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lahouirich, M. W., El Amri, A., Oulfarsi, S., Sahib Eddine, A., El Bayed Sakalli, H., & Boutti, R. (2022). From financial performance to sustainable development: A great evolution and an endless debate. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 6(1), 68-79. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Law of Ukraine «On State Financial Guarantees of Medical Care». Retrieved from [Link]
- Mirzoyan, S., & Tovmasyan, G. (2022). The Role and Necessity of Change Management in Organizations։ Investing CRM as an Effective System to Manage Customer Relations. Business Ethics and Leadership, 6(1), 6-13. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Moshek, G. S. (2007). Management: theory and practice: Textbook. manual. K .: Attica, 2007. 584 p.
- Mrabet, S., Benachenhou, S. M., & Khalil, A. (2022). Measuring the Effect of Healthcare Service Quality Dimensions on Patient’s Satisfaction in The Algerian Private Sector. SocioEconomic Challenges, 6(1), 100-112. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Orlyansky, V. S. (2007). Conflictology: textbook. manual. K .: CUL, 2007. 60p.
- Petyukh, V. M., Bazilyuk, B. G., & Gerasimenko, O. O. (2009). Personnel management: teaching method, manual – 3rd ed., No changes. K .: KNEU, 2009. 320 p.
- Rummel R. J. (1974). Understanding conflict and war. The Journal of Conflict Resolution, 26(1). P.161-187
- Salmanov, K. (2021). Public Control: Problems Of Formation And Organization Of Public Control İn Azerbaijan. SocioEconomic Challenges, 5(4), 114-121. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sumy Regional Council «Regional Diagnostic Center in Shostka». Retrieved from [Link]
- Vіnogradsky, M. D., Belyaeva, M. D., & Vinogradskaya, A. M. (2006). Personnel Management: Textbook. K .: CNL. 504 p.
- Zdravomyslov, A. G. (Ed.). (1986). Developments in Marxist Sociological Theory: Modern Social Problems and Theory (Vol. 35). SAGE Publications Limited. [Google Scholar]