Ph.D., Sumy State University, Ukraine
Ph.D., The London Academy of Science and Business, United Kingdom
Sumy State University, Ukraine
This study explored the motivational factors of effective management of medical personnel. In this line, the authors highlighted that motivation activates human resources. It is an integral part of the effective management of a medical institution. The main theoretical approaches of foreign and domestic scientists regarding the understanding and interpretation of the personnel management concept were considered. This paper characterized the main employee motivation theories under the procedural, substantive, and behavioral approaches. The authors highlighted the main components of the personnel management system in a medical institution and presented its structure. It was found that motivation is the determinant in the personnel management system. An effectively developed staff motivation system reveals the staff’s potential for achieving the organization’s goals. Besides, it provides an opportunity to meet the needs of the employee. The obtained results identified the main factors of low motivation of medical staff, which lead to a deterioration in the quality of medical care with all the ensuing consequences. The authors concluded that setting surcharges for employees would interest employees in achieving quantitative and qualitative indicators and strengthening responsibility for providing medical services. The findings showed that the most crucial internal motivation factors provide up to an 80% increase in productivity in the organization. The article presents the components of the motivational mechanism of personnel management in a medical institution. The study findings are of practical importance because they could be used to increase the efficiency of the personnel management system and improve social and labor relations between employees and employers, ensure the achievement of quantitative and qualitative indicators, strengthen responsibility for the quality of medical services. The medical institution will be able to receive more profits, consolidate its position in today’s competitive market environment, and create a positive image.
Keywords: personnel management, employee, motivation, medical institution, wage.
JEL Classification: M30, I10, P41.
Cite as: Kravchenko, O., Kaminska, B., & Boiko, V. (2022). Motivation as a Determinant of the Personnel Management System in Medical Institutions. Health Economics and Management Review, 3(1), 25-30. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2022.1-03
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Armstrong, M. (2017). Human resource management practice. Sankt-Peterburgh: Pyter. Retrieved from[Link]
- Bogdan, D., Boyko, A., Vasilkova, A.,… & Sereda, Yu. (2019). Human resources of the health care system in Ukraine. Situational analysis. USAID Health Care Reform Support Project. Kyiv. Retrieved from from[Link]
- Danyliuk, V. M., Petyuk, V. M., & Tsingbaliuk, S. O. (2006). Management of personnel. Kyiv: KNEU.
- Dashko, I. M. (2016). Development of innovative technologies of personnel management in enterprises in modern business conditions. Scientific Bulletin of Uzhgorod National University. Series: International Economic Relations and the World Economy, 9, 37-41. [Google Scholar]
- Dessler, H. (2014). Personnel Management. Moscow: BINOM. Laboratoriya znaniy. Retrieved from[Link]
- Galenko, V. P. (2009). Upravlenie personalom i strategija predprijatija. SPb.: Izd-vo SPbUJeF.
- Grynko T., & Savchenko, K. (2017.) Scientific and Methodikal Approaches to Personel Potential Estimation at the Medical Institution. Scientific Notes of Ostroh Academy National University, Series «Economics», 7(35). [Google Scholar]
- Korlén, S., Essén, A., Lindgren, P., Amer-Wahlin, I., & von Thiele Schwarz, U. (2017). Managerial strategies to make incentives meaningful and motivating. Journal of health organization and management, 31(2), 126-141. [Google Scholar]
- Korsakov, D. O. (2011). Organizational diagnostics of the personnel management system of the enterprise. Retrieved from[Link]
- Milkovich, G. T., & Boudreau, J. W. (1997). Human Resource Management. Irwin,Irwin/McGraw-Hill.
- MOH. (2017). Methodical Recommendations on the transformation of health care facilities from budgetary institutions into municipal non-profit enterprises. Retrieved from[Link]
- Sytnyk, N. I. (2009) Upravlinnja personalom [Human resources management]. Kyiv: Inkos. [Google Scholar]
- Stolyar, J. (2020). Healthcare staff motivation system. In All-Ukrainian scientific-practical conference with international participation «Actual problems of management and public administration in the conditions of innovative economic development» (pp. 326-328). Retrieved from [Link]
- Ul’rikh, D. (2007). Effective human resources management: the new role of the HR manager in the organization. Moscow: Vil’yams. Retrieved from[Link]
- Vroom, V.H. (1964). Work and Motivation. New York: Wiley. Retrieved from[Link]