Oleh Skorba, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8209-0673
Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Sumy State University, Ukraine
Jean-Pierre Segers, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2252-5479
Dr.Sc., Riga Technical University, Latvia
The healthcare reformation focuses on improving public health since public health is one of the state policy priorities. The systematization of scientific background showed the growing academic interest in the reformation of the secondary medical service market, determining the study’s relevance. This study aims to substantiate ways to improve the organization and management of health services in the secondary market of health services. To achieve the research goal, the authors analyzed the theoretical approaches to defining the concept of quality of medical services. They considered the development of the Ukrainian medical services market and determined the quality of medical care. This study examined the functioning of the admission department of the central district hospital. The methodological basis of the study involved the methods of statistical analysis, systematic approach, analysis, and synthesis. The findings showed no fatalities in the analyzed hospital from 2013 to 2015, thanks to an insignificant discrepancy in outpatient and inpatient diagnoses and ambulance diagnoses. The authors emphasized the necessity to transfer the information about the patient’s condition for treatment in the outpatient department to improve the quality of medical services. Within the study framework, the authors found that doctors use new treatment methods in their medical activities in the admission department, which allows stating a high percentage of recovery and improvement of the general condition of patients. Much attention is paid to personal, social, and health education to prevent the emergence of difficult medical situations in the admission department. The above is essential for providing quality medical care by doctors and junior medical staff. The authors concluded that the improvement of the current medical care requires the efficient use of material and human resources; improvement of the communication between ambulance, polyclinic, and inpatient facilities to provide the validity and timeliness of hospitalization; improving the interaction between separate medical institution’s services and its structural subdivisions to timely examine and hospitalize in inpatient departments, etc. The results of this study could elevate the quality of medical services in the admission department and prevent complex medical cases in the treatment of patients.
Keywords: medical service, social marketing, admission department, the market of services, the market of medical services.
JEL Classification: M39, I11, I12.
Cite as: Skorba, O., & Segers, J.-P. (2022). Improving the Admission Department Performance under Reformation of the Secondary Medical Service Market. Health Economics and Management Review, 3(1), 76-85. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2022.1-08
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- AGREE (Appraisal Guidelines Research and Evaluation). Retrieved from [Link]
- AHRQ. (2007). Guide to Inpatient Quality Indicators: Quality of Care in Hospitals. Retrieved from [Link]
- Bohomaz, V. М. (2006). Assessment of the quality of medical care in the system of voluntary health insurance. Ukrainian Medical Journal, 1(51), 104-109. [Google Scholar]
- Churkin, А. А. (2012). Mental health issues in the primary care network. Psychic Journal, 1, 19-23.
- Davies, H. (2005). Measuring and reporting the quality of health care: issues and evidence from the international research literature. Edinburgh, NHS Quality Improvement Scotland. [Google Scholar]
- DEC. (2018). Unified methodology for the development of local protocols of medical care for health care institutions of Ukraine (guidelines). Retrieved from [Link]
- Fedoseev, G.М. (2012). Standards for the treatment of diseases and the principle of «treat not the disease but the patient» – is there a compromise? Doctor, 12, 2-5.
- Grabovskyi, V. А., & Klymenko, P. М. (2014). A systematic approach to the management of health care facilities. Retrieved from [Link]
- Hladun, Z. V. (2005). State health policy in Ukraine (administrative and legal issues of formation and implementation). [Google Scholar]
- Institute for Strategic Studies of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine. (2018). Annual report on the state of health of the population, sanitary and epidemiological situation and the results of the health care system of Ukraine in 2017. Retrieved from [Link]
- Kniazevych, V. М. (2013) Regarding the readiness of family doctors to provide emergency medical care. Family medicine, 1, 8-10. [Google Scholar]
- Kolliakova, О. М. (2012). Current issues in the examination of temporary disability. Management of a health care institution, 5, 85-89.
- Lekhan, V. М., & Slabkyi, G. О. (2019). Health care development strategy: the Ukrainian dimension. News of medicine and pharmacy, 5(311). Retrieved from [Link]
- Main Department of Statistics in Sumy region. (2022). [Link]
- Moroz, О. (2020). Conceptual principles of state regulation of provided medical services: materials of reports of the All-Ukrainian scientific-practical Internet conference with international participation «Actual problems of management and public administration in the conditions of innovative economic development».
- Nikonov, V. V. (2012). Rhythm disorders: tactical and pharmacological approaches. Emergency medicine, 2, 49-53.
- Shypko, А. (2009). Modernization of the functions of health care entities at the local level in the context of restructuring the industry. Public administration and local self-government: a collection of scientific papers, 3(3), 254-261.
- Tolstanov, О. К. (2011). Evaluation of the availability of laboratory diagnostics by outpatients of central district hospitals. Bulletin of social hygiene and health care organization of Ukraine, 2, 31-34. [Google Scholar]
- Vertkin, А. L. (2011). Acute allergy: treatment of urticaria at the prehospital stage of medical care. Practitioner, 5, 48-51.
- Zdrenyk, V. (2018) Healthcare models: foreign experience and Ukrainian perspectives. Modernizing the management of the health care system in the context of health care reform. Proceedings of the All-Ukrainian scientific-practical conference with international participation.