Ph.D., Sumy State University, Ukraine
Ph.D., Wroslaw University of Economics and Business, Poland
This article states that the private sector and the government can resolve contradictions and bridge interaction gaps through a public-private partnership due to complementing each other functionally. The study aims to determine the elements of public-private partnership development in healthcare and primary conditions for further forming an effective environment for implementing the principles of public-private partnership in healthcare management. This investigation examined the public-private partnership state worldwide and in Ukraine and the prospects for its development in the context of healthcare reform. It was noted that cooperation between the public and private sectors is becoming increasingly social. However, the current practice does not show effectiveness in achieving certain goals. The properties and differences in realizing social public-private partnership projects were investigated. The risks and problems in the implementation of public-private partnerships in healthcare were identified. The authors developed the structural and target model for ensuring the development of public-private partnerships in healthcare. It was determined that the basic conditions contributing to the successful implementation of public-private partnership projects in healthcare should include the factors as follows: political willpower to promote the development and support of public-private partnership; legislative and regulatory system to attract private sector funding; availability of feasible and effective projects and mechanisms for their selection; availability of information and staff needed for project implementation. The findings substantiated that state budget support is essential in reducing the risks of a private partner at the initial stage of public-private partnership development. The world experience showed that state funding of public-private partnership projects in healthcare might vary depending on the project life cycle stage. Given the importance of improving the funding of public-private partnerships, especially in terms of state budget funding for health projects, key elements and possible areas for improvement were identified.
Keywords: public funding, public partner, public-private partnership mechanism, private partner, healthcare system.
JEL Classification: G31, H51, I15, I18.
Cite as: Ovcharova, N., & Grabowska, M. (2022). Implementation of Public-Private Partnership in the Healthcare Management System. Health Economics and Management Review, 3(1), 86-95. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2022.1-09
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Arzyantseva, D. A. (2012). Problems of implementing state-private partnership in the sphere of health care. Univercity Scientific Notes, 2, 280-286. Retrieved from [Link]
- Borsch, V. I. (2019). State-private partnership as a custodian of innovative development of the national health care sector. Journal of the Zhytomyr State Technological University. Series : Economics, Management and Administration, 2, 156-161. Retrieved from [Link]
- Dukhovna, O. (2021). Zastosuvannya DFS in Ukrainian medicine. Retrieved from [Link]
- Dutko, N. G. (2011). Areas of development of state-private partnership: the health care sector. Economy and State, 1, 105-108. Retrieved from [Link]
- Goyda, N. G. Kurdil, N. V., Voronenko, V. V. (2013). Normative-legal support for the state-private partnership in the protection of health of Ukraine. Zaporozhye Medical Journal, 5, 104-108. Retrieved from [Link]
- for state and municipal health care institutions for health care management officials for the implementation of public-private partnership projects in the field of health care (2018). Retrieved from [Link]
- Kravchenko, V. V. (2017). The relevance of the training of managers for the implementation of state-private partnership in health care. Bulletin of Social Hygiene and Health Organization of Ukraine, 4, 62-67. Retrieved from [Link]
- Krynichko, L. R. (2020). Algorithm of implementation of state-private partnership in the sphere of health care. Scientific journal of Uzhgorod University. Series: Economics, 2, 22-28.
- Krynichko, L. R., Krynichko, F. R., & Petrik, S. M. (2020). Steps of Formation and Implementation of Projects of Public-Private Partnership in the Sphere of Health Protection. Economic Journal of the Dnipropetrovsk Polytechnic University, 4, 110-117. Retrieved from [Link]
- . Legislative aspects of state-private partnership in Ukraine in the sphere of health care. Actual problems of state management, 2, 151-159. Retrieved from [Link]
- Law of Ukraine «On Concession» dated.2019 № 155-IX. Retrieved from [Link]
- Law of Ukraine «On the Public-Private Partnership» dated 01.07.2010 № 2404VI. Retrieved from [Link]
- Prospects for the development of state-private partnership in the conditions of the health care reform. Demokratichne vzduvaniya, 2. Retrieved from [Link]
- Mazurok, O. V. (2016). State-private partnership as a way to improve the efficiency of the health care system. Derzhavne budushchivnitvo, 2. Retrieved from [Link]
- Order to the Cabinet of Ministers «On the approval of the transfer of priority investment projects for the state until 2023». Retrieved from [Link]
- Pavlyuk, K. V. (2014). Pidvishennya effektivnost’ ektivnosti zhidokhodnykh vidkotki v sferhi zdorov’ya na osnovnom mekhanizmiv podderzhatnogo napravitel’stva. Science and Economics, 1, 281-289. Retrieved from [Link]
- Petrik, S. M. (2020). Forms of Realization of Projects of Public-Private Partnership in the Sphere of Health Care. Economy, management and administration, 2, 88-94. Retrieved from [Link].
- Report. Country private sector diagnostic. Doubling Down on Reform: Building Ukraine’s New Economy (2021). Retrieved from [Link]
- Shpak, Y. (2021) Tranche for Jesculap: how and where business can contribute to health care Retrieved from [Link]
- Stepanova, O. V. (2014). Strategichnye orientiri rozvitiya govorovno-privatnogo partnerstva v sistemy zdorovanii zdorovanii. Efektivna ekonomika, 6. Retrieved from [Link]
- Trikoz, I. V. (2012). Vikoristannya modelvshivnoprivatnogo partnerstva v zdorovanii zdorov’ya: zarubezhnyy dosvid. Journal of the Berdiansky University of Management and Business, 4. 60-64. Retrieved from [Link]
- Tulay, O. I. (2018). State-private partnership in the context of modernization of financing of health care. Economical Forum, 3. 235-239. Retrieved from [Link]
- Turchak, D. V. (2019). Institutional safeguards for the implementation of the state-private partnership in the sphere of health care,1, 161-168. Retrieved from [Link]