Yuliia Matvieieva, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3082-5551
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Viktoriia Sulym, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9114-068X
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Anna Rosokhata, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6944-1515
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Adam Jasnikowski, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5695-2364
Director, Fundacja EUROWEEK, Poland
About 40 years ago, plastic packaging was almost never used in Ukraine. Food products were sold in glass bottles, iron cans or in paper wrappers, which were decomposed in the environment or handed over to recycling centres. However, in recent years, the situation has fundamentally changed all over the world. Almost all products have several layers of packaging made of synthetic polymer materials. It has led to the significant growth of landfills and, therefore, to the emergence of a new problem – their proper maintenance. Landfills are areas of land where household, construction and other wastes are stored without control. To reduce the volume of waste, landfills are often set on fire. This approach is unacceptable, as landfills are a serious source of soil, air and water pollutions. Arbitrarily created waste disposal points are not equipped appropriately, the products of waste decay fall into the soil and groundwater, which is the source of water supply for a large number of the national population. The decay temperature in some cases is so high that it often leads to their ignition, and large amounts of harmful substances are released into the air. In this article, the authors conducted a study of the terminological orientation of scientific publications in the context of identifying the impact on human health of the waste conversion into energy compared to the impact of the landfill operation. Bibliographic information about scientific publications in peer-reviewed publications were preliminarily acquired from the Scopus database. The obtained results showed that researchers are investigating the impact of landfills on the population health, mainly focusing on such concepts as “health”, “landfills”, “waste incineration”. The authors analysed the dynamics of scientific interest levels in this topic and determined that the highest rate would be in 2022. It confirms the growing relevance of the researched problem in the modern world. All authors’ considerations are illustrated by corresponding diagrams and tables.
Keywords: bibliometric analysis, health, public health, landfill, waste disposal, waste-to-energy, waste management, municipal solid waste, waste incineration, e-waste, public health on certain territories.
JEL Classification: I15, O44, P18, O57, P25.
Cite as: Matvieieva, Yu., Sulym, V., Rosokhata, A., & Jasnikowski, A. (2023). Influence of Waste Incineration and Obtaining Energy from it to the Public Health for Certain Territories: A Bibliometric and Substantive Study. Health Economics and Management Review, 4(1), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.21272/hem.2023.1-07
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Agaton, C. B., Guno, C. S., Villanueva, R. O., & Villanueva, R. O. (2020). Economic analysis of waste-to-energy investment in the Philippines: A real options approach. Applied Energy, 275, 115265. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bazaluk, O., Havrysh, V., Nitsenko, V., Baležentis, T., Streimikiene, D., & Tarkhanova, E. A. (2020). Assessment of green methanol production potential and related economic and environmental benefits: The case of China. Energies, 13(12), 3113. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef].
- Bilan, Y., Samusevych, Y., Lyeonov S., Strzelec, M., & Tenytska, I. (2022) The keys to clean energy technology: Impact of environmental taxes on biofuel production and consumption. Energies, 15(24), 9470. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cole-Hunter, T., Johnston, F. H., Marks, G. B., Morawska, L., Morgan, G. G., Overs, M., … & Cowie, C. T. (2020). The health impacts of waste-to-energy emissions: a systematic review of the literature. Environmental Research Letters, 15(12), 123006. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Dashti, A., Noushabadi, A. S., Asadi, J., Raji, M., Chofreh, A. G., Klemeš, J. J., & Mohammadi, A. H. (2021). Review of higher heating value of municipal solid waste based on analysis and smart modelling. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 151, 111591. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef
- Domingo, J.L., & Nadal, M. (2009). Domestic waste composting facilities: A review of human health risks. Environment International, 35 (2), 382-389. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ferronato, N., & Torretta, V. (2019). Waste mismanagement in developing countries: A review of global issues. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(6), 1060. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Google Books Ngram Viewer (2023). Retrieved from: [Link]
- Google Trends software (2023). Retrieved from: [Link]
- Google Trends (2023). Waste public interests in Ukraine. Retrieved from: [Link]
- Google Trends (2023). Waste public interests over the world. Retrieved from: [Link]
- Hater, G., Roger Green, R., Goldsmith, D., Barlaz, M., Abichou, T., & Chanton, J. (2007). Greenhouse gas inventories for the waste industry: The importance of measuring landfill gas total emissions. MSW Management, 17, 4.
- Kolosok, S. (2021) A scoping review of renewable energy, sustainability and environment. Energies, 14(15), 4490. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Levis, J.W., & Barlaz, M.A. (2014). Landfill gas Monte Carlo model documentation and results. Report to ICF for the US EPA Waste Reduction Model (WARM). Retrieved from [Link]
- Litovtseva, V., Krawczyk, D., Kuzior, A., Brychko, M., & Vasylieva, T. (2022). Marketing research in the context of trust in the public sector: A case of the digital environment. Innovative Marketing, 18(4), 133-147. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Loizidou, M., Moustakas, K., Rehan, M., Nizami, A. S., & Tabatabaei, M. (2021). New developments in sustainable waste-to-energy systems. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 151, 111581. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Malinauskaite, J., & Jouhara, H. (2019). The trilemma of waste-to-energy: A multi-purpose solution. Energy Policy, 129, 636-645. [Google Scholar] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2019.02.029.
- Paleologos, E.K., Vaverková, M.D., Dominijanni, A., Koda, E, Tang, C.S., … Devendra, N.S. (2020). Municipal solid waste management under COVID-19: Challenges and recommendations. Environmental Geotechnics, 8(3), 217-232. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Tait, P. W., Brew, J., Che, A., Costanzo, A., Danyluk, A., Davis, M., … & Bowles, D. (2020). The health impacts of waste incineration: a systematic review. Australian and New Zealand journal of public health, 44(1), 40-48.[Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Pimonenko, T., Lyulov, O., Samusevich, I. (2022) National energy security: Financial determinants. Financial and Credit Activity Problems of Theory and Practice, 2(43), 259-270. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rudenko, L. A., Smiianov, V. A., & Smiianova, O. I. (2020). Basic principles of behavioural economics and prospects for their application in the public health system. Wiadomosci Lekarskie, 73(9), 2026-2030. [Google Scholar]
- Samoilikova, A., & Kunev, R. (2020). The impact of health care financing on the economic growth: EU countries analysis. Health Economics and Management Review, 1(2), 24-32. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Scopus (2023). Retrieved from [Link]
- Sedmíková, E., Vasylieva, T., Tiutiunyk, I., & Navickas, M. (2021). Energy consumption in assessment of shadow economy. European Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, 13(2), 47-64. Retrieved from [Link]
- Sotnyk, I., et al. (2021). Energy security assessment of emerging economies under global and local challenges. Energies, 14(18), 5860. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Stepovic, M. (2019). GDP growth and health care expenditures worldwide. Wentham Open, 7, 9-18. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Vasylieva, T., Gavurova, B., Dotsenko, T., Bilan, S., Strzelec, M., & Khouri, S. (2023). The Behavioral and Social Dimension of the Public Health System of European Countries: Descriptive, Canonical, and Factor Analysis. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 20(5), 4419. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Vaverková, M. D. (2019). Landfill impacts on the environment. Geosciences, 9(10), 431. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- VOSviewer (2023). Retrieved from [Link]
- Wang, Y., Levis, J.W., & Barlaz, M.A. (2021). Life-cycle assessment of a regulatory compliant US municipal solid waste landfill. Environmental Science & Technology, 55(20), 13583-13592. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wołowiec, T., Kolosok, S., Vasylieva, T., Artyukhov, A., Skowron, L., Dluhopolskyi, O., & Sergiienko, L. (2022). Sustainable governance, energy security, and energy losses of Europe in turbulent times. Energies, 15(23), 8857. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yelnikova, J., & Kwilinski, A. (2020) Impact-investing in the healthcare in terms of the new socially responsible state investment policy. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(3), 57-64. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]