University of Presov (Slovakia)
University College of Business (Czech Republic)
University of Presov (Slovakia)
University of Presov (Slovakia)
University of Presov (Slovakia)
Successful operation of hotels and their development depends on satisfying customer needs. The Internet has brought significant changes in everyday life. It creates new opportunities and challenges in a world that is constantly changing but also for companies that operate in it. The Internet has also significantly changed the operating environment of the hotel industry. The objective of this article is to determine the link between online customer reviews expressing the quality of hotels and the willingness of customers to recommend the accommodation, based on the research conducted within the Visegrad Group. In view of the existing research gap on factors affecting customer satisfaction in accommodation facilities, the article helps to broaden the theoretical basis of the issue and helps hotel and accommodation establishments to establish marketing strategies that will lead to a better understanding of indicators affecting their customers’ satisfaction. Research is based on customer reviews of hotel services published by Expedia.com, which focus on rating hotels in the Visegrad countries. Within the selected hotel ratings, we used automatic data collection for monitored variables (ratings). 345175 ratings have been analysed for 1500 hotels. The focus was on the percentage of guests recommending hotels in relation to selected variables. Data collection took place in the first half of 2017. The outputs of our research point to the fact that in the Visegrad Group countries there is a significant impact of specific variables expressing the quality of the hotel on the percentage of customers recommending the accommodation. Hotels that have a marketing philosophy primarily or secondarily built for achieving a good reputation should not neglect activities that have a positive effect on Room cleanliness, Service and staff, Room comfort or Hotel condition as they reflect the increasing value of the recommendation in the theoretical but especially practical, and thus a steadily increasing competitive advantage.
Keywords: tourism, reputation, marketing communication, hotels, Visegrad Group.
JEL Classification: M30, M34.
Cite as: Bacik, R., Kmeco, L., Richard, F., Olearova, M., & Rigelsky, M. (2019). Marketing instrument of improving hotel management service: evidence of Visegrad group countries. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 208-220. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2019.1-17
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Advertising.Expedia. (2018). How much does a campaign cost? [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://advertising.expedia.com/specs/faq#cc-cost
- Aminu, S. A. (2012) Empirical investigation of the effect of relationship marketing on banks’ customer loyalty in Nigeria. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(6), 1249–1267.
- Bronner, F., & Hoog, R. (2011). Vacationers and e-WOM: who posts, and why, where, and what? J. Travel Res., 50(1), 15-26.
- Cantallops, A., & Salvi, F. (2014). New consumer behaviour: A review of research on eWOM and hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 36, 41-51.
- Clement, M. N. (2004). Slovnik marketingu – klicove pojmy a terminy. Brno: Computer Press. 366 p. ISBN 9788025102282.
- Clemons, et al. (2006). When Online Reviews Meet Hyperdifferentiation: A Study of the Craft Beer Industry. Journal of Management Information Systems, 23(2), 149–171.
- Conrady, R. (2014). Customer Reviews: kaufentscheidend, glaubwurdig, strategierelevant? [online, quoted to 20.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://v-i-r.de/wp content/uploads/2016/02/Studie-Hotelbewertungen-FHWorms.pdf
- Consumer Focus. (2012). In my honest opinion. Consumers and the power of online feedback. [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from http://rpaltd.co.uk/uploads/report_files/hotel-reviews.pdf
- Crotts, J. C., Mason, P. R., & Davis, B. (2009). Measuring guest satisfaction and competitive position in the hospitality and tourism industry. J. Travel Res., 48(2), 139-151.
- Dellarocas, C. (2003). The Digitization of Word of Mouth: Promise and Challenges of Online. Feedback Mechanisms. Management Science, 49 (10), 1407–1424.
- Dellarocas, C., Zhang, X., & Awad, N. F. (2007). Exploring the value of online product reviews in forecasting sales: The case of motion pictures. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 21(4), 23-45.
- Doolin, B., Burgess, L., & Cooper, J. (2002). Evaluating the use of the Web for tourism marketing: a case study from New Zealand. Tourism Management, 23(5), 557-561.
- ECC-Net. (2013). Trust marks report 2013. Can I trust the trust mark? [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from http://rpaltd.co.uk/uploads/report_files/hotel-reviews.pdf
- Expandedrambling. (2018). Tripadvisor Statistics and Facts. [online, quoted to 22.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/tripadvisor-statistics/
- Expedia. (2017). Annual Report 2017. [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from http://ir.expediagroup.com/static-files/965a3092-d2f0-4383-82a4-f27946e379eb
- Gavurova, B., Vagasova, T. & Kovac, V. (2016). Competitiveness Assessment of Slovak Republic Regions. 13th International Scientific Conference of the European Financial Systems, European Financial System 2016: Proceedings of the 13th International Scientific Conference. Edited by: Krajicek, J; Nesleha, J; Urbanovsky, K, Brno, 2016, Jun 27-28, pp. 175.
- Getz, D., & Carlsen, J. (2005). Family business in tourism: state of the art. Ann. Tour. Res., 32 (1), 237-258.
- Godes, D., & Mayzlin, D. (2004). Using Online Conversations to Study Word-of-Mouth Communication. Marketing Science, 23 (4), 545–560.
- Gonzalez, M. et al. (2013). Online Customer Reviews of Hotels as participation an increases, better evaluation is obtained. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 54(3), 274-283.
- Hu, N., Bose, I., Gao, Y., & Liu, L. (2011). Manipulation in digital word-of-mouth: A reality check for book reviews. Decision Support Systems, 50 (3), 627–635.
- Chevalier, J. A., & Mayzlin, D. (2006). The Effect of Word of Mouth on Sales: Online Book Reviews. Journal of Marketing Research, 43(3), 345–354.
- Inversini, A., Marchiori, E., Dedekind, C., & Cantoni, L. (2010). Applying a conceptual framework to analyze online reputation of tourism destinations. In: Gretzel, U., et. al. Spring Comp. Sci. Springer-Verlag, Wien, 321-332.
- Koller, M., & Salzberger, T. (2007). Cognitive Dissonance as a Relevant Construct throughout the Decision-Making and Consumption Process: An Empirical Investigation Related to a Package Tour. Journal of Customer Behavior, 6(3), 217-227.
- Kormany (2018). Tourism sector trends indicate robust current and future expansion. [online, quoted to 20.06.2018]. Retrieved from http://www.kormany.hu/download/c/78/41000/Tourism%20sector%20trends%20indicate%20robust%20current% 20and%20future%20expansion.pdf
- Kozon, J., & Cuper, J. (2016). Tourism Statistics in the Countries of the Visegrad Four. Forum Statisticum Slovacum, 2(2), 67‐76.
- Li, X., & Hitt, L. (2008). Self Selection and the Information Role of Product Reviews. Information Systems Research, 19(4), 456-474.
- Lituchy, T. R., & Rail, A. (2000). Bed and breakfasts, small inns, and the Internet: The impact of technology on the globalization of small businesses. Journal of International Marketing, 8(2), 86-97.
- Loudon, D. L., & Della Bitta, A. J. (2002). Consumer Behaviour – Concepts and applications. Fourth Edition. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Limited. ISBN 0-07-047381-1.
- Merono-Cerdan, A.L., & Soto-Acosta, P. (2007). External Web content and its influence on organizational performance. European Journal of Information Systems, 16(1), 66–80.
- Morrison, A., Carlsen, J., & Weber, P. (2010). Small tourism business research. Change and evolution. Int. J. Tour. Res.,12, 739-749.
- Mudambi, S. M., & Schuff, D. (2010). What Makes a Helpful Online Review? A Study of Customer Reviews on Amazon.com. MIS Quarterly, 34(1), 185–200.
- Nielsen. (2012). Connectivity influences global shopping. [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2012/how-connectivity-influences-global-shopping.html
- People Claim. (2013). Infographic of Industry Facts Shows Why Online Reviews Are a Big Deal. [online, quoted to 22.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://www.reviewtrackers.com/stats-reveal-online-reviews-big-deal/
- Qiang, Y., Law, R., & Gu, B. (2009). The impact of online user reviews on hotel room sales. Int. J. Hosp. Manag., 28(1), 180-182.
- Richterova, K., Kulcakova, M., & Klepochova, D. (2005). Spotrebiteske spravanie. Bratislava: Ekonóm. 206 p. ISBN 80-225-2036-5.
- Schiffman, L. G., & Kanuk, L. (2004). Nakupni chovani. Praha: Computer Press. 695 p. ISBN 8025100944.
- Simonson, I., & Rosen, E. (2014). Absolute Value: What Really Influences Customers in the Age of (Nearly) Perfect Information. New York: HarperBusiness. 256 p. ISBN 9780062215680.
- Sorells, M. (2018). Booking Holdings reveals $12.7B revenue, goes lukewarm on Airbnb threat. [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://www.phocuswire.com/Booking-Holdings-earnings-full-year-2017
- Sparks, B., & Browning, V. (2011). The impact of online reviews on hotel booking intentions and perception of trust. Tour. Manag., 32, 1310-1323.
- Statista. (2018a). TripAdvisor – Statistics & Facts. [online, quoted to 22.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/topics/3443/tripadvisor/
- Statista. (2018b). Most popular travel properties in the United States as of April 2018, by monthly users. [online, quoted to 22.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/269130/monthly-visits-to-travel-portals-in-the-us/
- Statista. (2018c). Gross bookings of Expedia, Inc. worldwide from 2005 to 2017. [online, quoted to 22.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/269386/gross-bookings-of-expedia/
- Statista. (2018d). Net income of Booking Holdings worldwide from 2007 to 2017. [online, quoted to 22.06.2018]. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/225461/booking-holidngs-net-income/
- Soltes, V., & Gavurova, B. (2015). Modification of Performance Measurement System in the ntentions of globalization trends. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 11(2), 160-170. ISSN 2081-7452.
- Svec, M., Olsovska, A., & Mura, L. (2015). Protection of an «Average Consumer»in the Digital Society – European Context. International Scientific Conference on Marketing Identity. Marketing Identity: Digital Life, Pt II Book Series: Marketing Identity, 273-282, ISBN 978-80-8105-780-9 ISSN 1339-5726
- Szymanski, D.M., & Hise, R.T. (2000). e-Satisfaction ln: An Initial examination. Journal of Retailing, 76(3), 309-322.
- Vysekalova, J. (2004). Psychologie spotřebitele. Praha: Grada. 284 p. ISBN 8024703939.
- Willoughby (2018). Czech accommodation facilities enjoyed record tourist number in 2017. [online, quoted to 24.06.2018]. Retrieved from http://www.radio.cz/en/section/business/czech-accommodation-facilities-enjoyed-record-tourist-numbers-in-2017
- Yoon, Y., & Uysal, M. (2005). An examination of the effects of motivation and satisfaction on destination loyalty: a structural model. Tourism Management, 26(1), 45-56.
- Zhang, L.F., & Zhang, F.J. (2011). Does E-commerce Reputation Mechanism Matter? Procedia Engineering, 2011(15), 4885-4889.