Ternopil National Economic University (Ukraine)
Ternopil National Economic University (Ukraine).
The article examines the views of foreign economists on the importance of the impact of intangible assets (IA) and goodwill on business. The main purpose of this study is to improve and develop approaches of accounting for IA and goodwill, reflecting them in the financial and management reporting. The systematization of literary sources and the study of regulatory documents showed that there were several problematic issues related to the accounting and reporting of IAs and goodwill that needed elaboration and clarification. The urgency of solving this scientific problem lies in the fact that due to the existence of unresolved issues in accounting for IA and goodwill, as well as the formation of indicators in the financial statements, there is a significant gap between the methodology of accounting for these assets and current requirements of the economy. It is proposed to amend the Methodological Provisions № 417 by allocating the IA into a separate group for more detailed state statistical observation of these assets. It is recommended to separate the subaccount for accounting software showing the detailed information for this subaccount in the Notes to the Annual Financial Statements. To reconcile goodwill with the Plan of Accounts and Reporting, it is offered to set out the title of Section 1 of the Notes to the Annual Financial Statement, as follows: «Intangible Assets and Goodwill». It is recommended to keep records of internal goodwill in managerial and financial accounting, with the separation of the subaccount, with amendments to Section 1 of the Notes to the Annual Financial Statements regarding the inclusion of additional line 095 «Internal Goodwill». For management accounting of IA and goodwill, it is proposed to use the form of internal management reporting, which is based on paragraph 5 «Notes to the Annual Financial Statements», which contains additional indicators that allow the management system to identify IA s both at the respective centres of responsibility and their units, for different periods, to control the amount, direction, deviation of the planned and actual expenses at the receipt of IA, etc. It is recommended to open an additional subaccount for accounting for IAs shortages with the disclosure in the Annex to Methodological Recommendations № 1327 of the procedure for accounting for IAs shortages using this subaccount. It is justified that the Management Report should be considered as a supplement to the financial statements. The management report proposes to disclose the information about the IA and, if available, about goodwill (internal goodwill), and to provide information aimed at the development of intellectual capital.
Keywords: brand, internal goodwill, management report, management report, identification, intellectual capital, intangible assets (IA); non-current assets, accounting, managerial reporting, financial reporting.
JEL Classification: M40, M41.
Cite as: Zadorozhnyi, Z.-M., Yasyshena, V. (2019). Intangible assets accounting and reporting issues. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 182-193. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2019.4-15
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Best global brands. Interbrand. (2018). Retrieved from https://www.interbrand.com/best-brands/best-global-brands/2018/
- Delios, А., & Beamish, P. W. (2001). Survival and profitability: the roles of experience and intangible assets in foreign subsidiary performance. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.203.3717&rep=rep1&type=pdf .
- Holov, S. F., Kostiuchenko, V. M., & Kulaha, O. M. (2013). Transformatsiia finansovoi zvitnosti ukrainskykh pidpryiemstv u finansovu zvitnist za mizhnarodnymy standartamy [Transformation of the financial statements of Ukrainian enterprises into financial statements according to international standards]. Kyiv: FPBAU [in Ukrainian].
- Horovyi, D.A. (2016). Comparison analysis of enterprise intangible assets structure in Ukraine and over the world. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 256-268.
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (2004). The strategy map: guide to aligning intangible assets. Strategy & Leadership, 32(5), 10–17.
- Methodological provisions on the use of financial statements for the purposes of enterprise statistics: from December 31 No. 417]. Retrieved from https:// zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0027832-15
- Metodychni rekomendatsii z bukhhalterskoho obliku nematerialnykh aktyviv: zatverdzheno nakazom MFU vid 16.11.2009r. № 1327 [Methodical recommendations on accounting for intangible assets: from November 16th 2009, No. 1327]. Retrieved from https:// zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/en/v1327201-09 [in Ukrainian].
- International Accounting Standard 38 Intangible assets: International document from 1st January 2012. Retrieved from http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/929_050/page2
- Natsionalne polozhennia (standart) bukhhalterskoho obliku 1 «Zahalni vymohy do finansovoi zvitnosti»: zatverdzheno nakazom MFU vid 07.02.2013r. № 73. [National accounting standard 1 General requirements for financial statements: from 2 February 2013, No. 73]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0336-13 [in Ukrainian].
- Ping, H. D., & Bao, Di (2014). Valuating goodwill of cultural enterprises using wavelet neural network. International journal of u- and e-Service. Science and Technology, Vol. 7, 4, pp. 147-158.
- Polozhennia (standart) bukhhalterskoho obliku 8 «Nematerialni aktyvy»: zatverdzheno nakazom MFU vid 18.10.1999r. № 242. [National accounting standard 8 Intangible assets: from 18thOctober 1999, No. 242]. Retrieved from http:// zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0750-99/ [in Ukrainian].
- Polozhennia (standart) bukhhalterskoho obliku 19 «Obiednannia pidpryiemstv»: zatverdzheno nakazom MFU vid 07.07.1999 r. № 163 [National accounting standard 19 Business combinations: from July 7th 1999, No. 163]. Retrieved from http:// http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0750-99 [in Ukrainian].
- Pro zatverdzhennia Metodychnykh rekomendatsii zi skladannia zvitu pro upravlinnia: zatverdzheno nakazom MFU vid 07.12.2018r. № 982 [On approval of the Guidelines for the preparation of the management report: from December 7th 2018, No. 982]. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0982201-18 [in Ukrainian].
- Stewart, T.A. (1997) Intellectual capital: the new wealth of organizations. Doubleday/Currency, New York.
- Tearney, M.G. (1973). Accounting for Goodwill: a realistic approach, The Jourof Accountancy, July, pp. 41-45.
- Travin, V. V. (2010). Osoblyvosti orhanizatsii bukhhalterskoho obliku vnutrishnoho hudvilu yak proiavu sotsialnoho kapitalu na mikroekonomichnomu rivni [Features of internal goodwill accounting as a manifestation of social capital at the microeconomic level]. Visnyk ZhDTU – ZhSTU Bulletin, 2 (52), 197–201[in Ukrainian].
- Umantsiv, H. V. (2006). Vnutrishnii hudvil pidpryiemstva: ekonomichna pryroda, problemy otsinky ta obliku [Internal goodwill of the enterprise: economic nature, problems of valuation and accounting]. Bukhhalterskyi oblik i audyt – Accounting and Auditing, 9, 20–23 [in Ukrainian].
- World Bank (2019). World Development Indicators 2019, World Bank. Retrieved from : https://data.worldbank.org/indicator.