Professor, Anadolu University (Turkey)
Sakarya University (Turkey)
Sakarya University (Turkey)
Sakarya Applied Science University (Turkey).
Open and distance education, unlike the traditional style of education, does not have to come to the campus, courses are processed in a completely virtual environment through the computer, live and interactive is the name of the training that the participant can watch them again and again at any time. Open and distance education in this aspect; Student Centre is an ideal educational model for people who cannot benefit from traditional education, providing equal opportunities, providing education opportunities for physically disabled students, eliminating geographical and regional barriers. Besides, it is a modern and innovative education model that ensures the continuation of the education of the people working in their businesses. Career compliance is a process that starts from preparation for the profession and starts from employment, progress in career and ending a career. Career compliance reflects an individual’s capacity to cope with potential changes that may arise in the present and future business life. Besides, employees’ level of coping with new job responsibilities, unexpected career changes and the ability to overcome obstacles that may arise. The main purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between education satisfaction levels and career adaptability perceptions of participants taking education within open or distance education model. The study is important in terms of developing and improving the open or distance education model when considering that the number of people taking education within the open or distance education model in our country is more than three and a half million today. Besides, one of the important issues in working life in contemporary societies is the career issue and it is thought that the adaptability of employees with their occupations has an important role in their productivity. Therefore, determining the level of educational satisfaction and career adaptability is thought to be important. In the study, which is based on «lifelong learning theory», the quantitative research method was preferred. To collect data, the «Distance Education Satisfaction Scale» and the «Career-related Adoptability» scales were employed. Data collected from a sample of 527 individuals were analysed by difference, relationship and impact tests and it was found that distance education satisfaction had a positive effect on career adaptability.
Keywords: education satisfaction, career adaptability, distance education, open education, e-learning.
JEL Classification: A29, I20.
Cite as: Tutar, H., Karademir, O., Guler, S. & Tutar, S. (2019). Management of innovations in education: students satisfaction and career adoptability. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 321-335. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2019.4-25
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Altindag, E. (2011), Aile Sirketlerinde Stratejik Yonelim Duzeylerinin Tespiti ve Firma Performansi Uzerindeki Etkisi, Gebze Yuksek Teknoloji Enstitusu Sosyal Bilimler Enstitusu, Istanbul.
- Aydin C. H. (2011). Acik veya Uzaktan Ogrenme: Ogrenci Adaylarinin Bakis Acisi. Ankara: Pegem Yayinlari.
- Eygu H., Kahraman S. (2013). Uzaktan Egitim Ogrencilerinin Memnuniyet Algilari Uzerine Bir Arastirma, Kirikkale Universitesi Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 3(1), 36-59.
- Grix, J. (2010). The Foundations of Research. London: Palgrave Macmillan. G Journal of Social And Humanities Sciences Research (JSHSR) 2018, 5(22), 1039-1052.
- Islamoglu, H., Alniacik, U., (2014), Sosyal Bilimlerde Arastirma Yontemleri, (4. Baski), Beta Yayincilik, Istanbul.
- Kalafat, T. (2012). Kariyer Gelecegi Olcegi (KARGEL): Turk Orneklemi icin Psikometrik Ozelliklerinin Incelenmesi. Turk Psikolojik Danisma ve Rehberlik Dergisi, 4(38), 169-179.
- Klehe, U.-C., Zikic, J., Van Vianen, A. E. M., Koen, J., Buyken, M. B. W. (2012). Coping proactively with economic stress: Career adaptability in the face of job insecurity, job loss, unemployment, and underemployment. In P. L. Perrewe, J. R.B. Halbesleben, C. C. Rosen (Eds.). Research in Occupational Stress and Well-being. Volume 10 – The Role of the Economic Crisis on Occupational Stress and Well Being (131-176).
- Knapper, C. K., Cropley, A. J. (2000) Lifelong Learning in Higher Education, 3rd edn (London: Kogan Page).
- Kosar, E. Digerleri (2003). Ogretim Teknolojileri ve Materyal Gelistirme, 2.Baski, Ankara: Ogreti, PagemA Yayinlari.
- Kothari, C. R. (2004). Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques. New Age International.
- Longworth, N., Davies, W. K., Lifelong Learning: New Visions, New Implications, New Roles – for Industry, Government, Education and the Community for the 21st Century. London: Kogan Page, 1996.
- McMillan, J. H. (1996). Educational Research: Fundamentals for the Consumer. New York: HarperCollins College Publishers.
- Mertens, D. M. (2014). Research and Evaluation in Education and Psychology: Integrating Diversity with Quantitative, Qualitative, and Mixed Methods. New York.
- Michael W. Galbraith, Melanie S. Jones (2012), Theory to Practice Creativity: Essential for the Adult Education Instructor and Learner, PAACE Journal of Lifelong Learning, 21 (2012), 51-59.
- Miles, M. B., Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative Data Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. New York: Sage.
- Moore, M., G., Kearsley G., (2011), Distance Education: A Systems View of Online Learning. Cengage Learning, CA.
- Morgan, D. L., Morgan, R. K. (2008). Single-Case Research Methods for the Behavioral and Health Sciences. SAGE Publications. Journal of Social And Humanities Sciences Research (JSHSR), 5(22), 1039-1052.
- Ozer, B., (1990). Uzaktan Egitim Sisteminin Evrensel Yapisi. Kurgu: Anadolu Universitesi Acikogretim Fakultesi Iletisim Bilimleri Dergisi, 8, 569-594.
- Rottinghaus, P. J., Day, S. X., Borgen, F. H. (2005). The career futures inventory: A measure of career-related adaptability and optimism. Journal of Career Assessment, 13(1), 3-24.
- Savickas, M. L. (1997). Career adaptability: An integrative construct for life span, life-space theory. The Career Development Quarterly, 45, 247-259.
- Savickas, M. L. (2011). Career counseling. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Books.
- Savickas, M. L., Porfeli, E. J. (2012). Career adapt-abilities scale: Construction, reliability, and measurement equivalence across 13 countries. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80(3), 661-673.
- Schlosser, L., A., M., R., Simonson (2009), Distance Education: Definitions and Glossary of Terms, Information Age Publishing (IAP) Inc., North Carolina.
- Siyez, D. M., Yusupu, R. (2015). Universite ogrencilerinde kariyer uyumlulugu ve kariyer iyimserliginin cinsiyet rolu degiskenine gore incelenmesi. Is, Guc Endustri Iliskileri ve Insan Kaynaklari Dergisi, 17(1), 78-88.
- Super, D. E., Knasel, E. G. (1981). Career development in adulthood: Some theoretical problems and a possible solution. British Journal of Guidance & Counseling, 9, 194-201.
- Verduin, J. R. Clark, T. A (1994). Uzaktan Egitim: Etkin Uygulama Esaslari (Cev.: Ilknur Mavis), 1. Baski, Eskisehir: Anadolu Universitesi Basimevi.