Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (Lithuania)
Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (Lithuania)
Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (Lithuania).
Members from different generations create challenges for marketing specialists due to their unique behaviour specifics and in the context of constant technology development, these challenges become only harder. In the current marketing situation, there is a new challenge – outreach and interest for generation Y consumers. A question arises – which means to apply and which of them would be effective. It is a new field of research both for scientists and marketing practitioners. The article analyses the members of generation Y because in their case there are most prominent scientific discovery inquiries on their behaviour and marketing management decisions. By evaluating that, the aim of the article is to create a model of the influence of social media for generation Y consumer purchase decisions. The need to offer a new model has appeared due to the changes in the current world that are changing the habits and features of the society, constantly improving technologies are changing the lifestyle, values and needs of people. The marketing decisions that were applied before are not presenting the desired results in the current market. Previous research allows identifying the specifics of generation Y, however, due to constantly changing technology environment it is not clearly known how this generation makes the decisions to purchase something. When wishing to find the right way to sell products and services to this generation, it is necessary to understand it and to find ways to communicate with it. When creating social media content and creating added value to the customers, it is vital to understand the complexity of the external and internal factors that determine their choice to buy. To achieve the goal of this article, the theoretical part presents a complex analysis of factors that determine consumer behaviour in social media, applications of generation theory for making marketing decisions; characteristics of generation Y were identified. In this research, marketing factors that influence the consumer’s decision to buy were analysed, their effects and application in the purchase process of generation Y consumers were evaluated.
Keywords: electronic marketing, e-marketing, marketing, model, social media, technologies
JEL Classification: M0, M10, M30, M37, L1.
Cite as: Davidaviciene, V., Meidute-Kavaliauskiene, I. & Paliulis, R. (2019). Research on the influence of social media on generation y consumer purchase decisions. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 39-49. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2019.4-04
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Adnan, A., Ahmad, A., and Khan, M. N. (2017). Examining the role of consumer lifestyles on ecological behavior among young Indian consumers, Young Consumers, 18(4), 348-377. doi.org/10.1108/YC-05-2017-00699
- Agnihotri, R., Trainor, K. J., Itani O. S., and Rodriguez, M. (2017). Examining the Role of Sales-Based CRM Technology and Social Media Use on Post-Sale Service Behaviors in India, Journal of Business Research, 81, 144–154. doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.08.021
- Alavijeh, M. R. K., Esmaeili, A., Sepahvand, A., and Davidaviciene, V. (2018). The Effect of Customer Equity Drivers on Word-of-Mouth Behavior with Mediating Role of Customer Loyalty and Purchase Intention, Inžinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics, 29(2), 236–246.
- Andzulis, J. M., Panagopoulos N. G., and Rapp A. (2012). A Review of Social Media and Implications for the Sales Process, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 32 (3), 305–316. doi.org/10.2753/PSS0885-3134320302
- Augustin, B. S. (2013). Understanding and Managing the Gen Y, Gen X, Baby Boomers and Traditionalists in Your Organization: Access through internet: https://docuri.com/download/understanding-and-managing-the-gen-y-gen-x-baby-boomers-and-traditionalists-in-your-organization_59c1e8aaf581710b286cbf0f_pdf
- Bolton, R. N., Parasuraman, A. Hoefnagels, A., Migchels, N., Kabadayi, S., Gruber, T., Loureiro, Y. K., and Solnet,D. (2013). Understanding Generation Y and their use of social media: a review and research agenda, Journal of Service Management, 24(3), 245-267. doi.org/10.1108/09564231311326987
- Chami, B. (2013). Cultural Analysis of Factors affecting customers’ online shopping behavior in Finland and Morocco. University of Oulu. Master thesis. Access through internet: http://jultika.oulu.fi/files/nbnfioulu-201311261929.pdf
- Chan, G., Cheung, C., Kwong, T., Limayem, M., and Zhu, L. (2003). Online consumer behavior: a review and agenda for future research, 16th Bled eCommerce Conference eTransformation Bled, Slovenia, 194–218. Access through internet: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1112&context=bled2003
- Dange, U., and Kumar, V. (2012). A Study of Factors Affecting Online Buying Behavior: A Conceptual Model, SSRN Social Journal, 1(1), 1-11.
- Davidaviciene, V., Raudeliuniene, J., and Viršilaite, R. (2019a). User experience evaluation and creativity stimulation with augmented reality mobile applications, Creativity studies, 12(1), 34-48. doi: 10.3846/cs.2019.3576.
- Davidaviciene, V., Raudeliuniene, J., Tvaronaviciene, M., and Kaušinis, J. (2019b). The importance of security aspects in consumer preferences in social environment, Journal of security and sustainability issues, 8(3), 399-411. doi: 10.9770/jssi.2019.8.3(9).
- Davidaviciene, V., Pabedinskaite, A. O., and Davidavicius, S. (2017). Social networks in B2B and B2C Communication, Transformations in business and economics, 16(1), 69-84.
- Deloitte (2015). Navigating the new digital divide, p. 22. Access through internet: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/consumer-business/us-cb-navigating-the-new-digital-divide-051315.pdf
- Goward, C. (2018). The LIFT Model: Use these six factors to increase your conversion rate. Wider funnel. Access through internet: https://www.widerfunnel.com/the-six-landing-page-conversion-rate-factors/
- Jain, N. K., Kamboj, S., Kumar, V., and Rahman, Z. (2018). Examining consumerbrand relationships on social media platforms, Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 36, 63-78. doi.org/10.1108/MIP-05-2017-0088
- Kane S. (2017). Common Characteristics of Generation Y Professionals. The balance. Access through internet: https://www.thebalance.com/common-characteristics-of-generation-y-professionals-2164683
- Kaplan, A. M, and Haenlein M. (2010). Users of the World, Unite! The Challenges and Opportunities of Social Media, Business Horizons 53 (1), 59–68. doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2009.09.003
- Kemp, E. A., Borders, A. L., Anaza, N. A., and Johnston, W. J. (2018). The heart in organizational buying: marketers understanding of emotions and decision-making of buyers, Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 33(1), 19-28. doi.org/10.1108/JBIM-06-2017-0129
- Kemp, S. (2018). Digital in 2018. We are social. Access through internet: < https://wearesocial.com/uk/blog/2018/01/global-digital-report-2018>.
- Lavidge, R. J., and Steiner, G. R. (1961). A Model for Predictive Measurements of Advertising Effectiveness. Access through internet: https://www.ama.org/academics/Documents/Lavidge-Steiner-Model.pdf
- Liao, S. H., and Chung, Y. C. (2011). The effects of psychological factors on online consumer behavior. Graduate Institute of Management Sciences, Access through internet: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241626159_The_effects_of_ psychological_factors_on_online_consumer_behavior
- Litterio, A. M., Nantes, E. A., Larrosa J. M., and Gómez L. J. (2017). Marketing and Social Networks: A Criterion for Detecting Opinion Leaders, European Journal of Management and Business Economics, 26(3), 347–366. doi.org/10.1108/EJMBE-10-2017-020
- Mayfield, A. (2008). What is Social Media? Access through internet: http://www.icrossing.com/uk/sites/default/files_uk/insight_ pdf_files/What%20is%20Social%20Media_iCrossing_ebook.pdf
- Menon, R. G. V., Sigurdsson, V., Larsen, N. M., Fagerstrøm, A. and Foxall, G. R. (2016). Consumer Attention to Price in Social Commerce: Eye Tracking Patterns in Retail Clothing, Journal of Business Research, 69 (11), 5008-5013. doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.04.072
- Nash, J. (2018). Exploring how social media platforms influence fashion consumer decisions in the UK retail sector, Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 23(1), 82-103. doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-01-2018-0012.
- Raudeliuniene, J., Davidaviciene, V., Tvaronaviciene, M., and Jonuška, L. (2018). Evaluation of advertising campaigns on social media networks, Sustainability, 10(4), 1-14. doi: 10.3390/su10040973.
- Raudeliuniene, J., and Davidavicius S. (2017). A conceptual model of assessment of knowledge transfer to consumer, Business, Management and Education, 15(2), 174-195. doi: https://doi.org/10.3846/bme.2017.387
- Rum, J. (2018). 18 Digital Strategy Tips to Consider for 2018, Social Media Today. Access through internet: https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/18-digital-strategy-tips-to-consider-for-2018/513807/
- Sabaityte J., and Davidavicius S. (2017). Challenges and solutions of adopting public social services for the needs of Z generation, International journal of learning and change, 9(1), 17-28. doi.org/10.1504/IJLC.2017.084242
- Silveira, M. P., Cardoso, M. V., and Quevedo-Silva, F., (2018). Factors influencing attendance at stadiums and arenas, Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 37 (1), 50-65. doi.org/10.1108/MIP-02-2018-0048
- Valentine, D., B., and Powers, T. L. (2013). Generation Y values and lifestyle segments, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 30(7), 597 – 606. doi:http: //dx.doi.org/10.1108/JCM-07-2013-0650
- Vaughan, C. (2016). Influencer Marketing Update: Non-Celebrity Influencers 10 Times More Likely to Drive In-Store Purchases. Access through internet: https://collectivebias.com/blog/2016/03/non-celebrity-influencers-drive-store-purchases/
- Viswanathan, V., and Jain, V. (2013). A dual-system approach to understanding generation Y decision making, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 30(6), 484-492. doi.org/10.1108/JCM-07-2013-0649
- Williams, K. C. and Page, S. R. A. (2011). Marketing to the Generations, Journal of Behavioral Studies in Business, 3(1), 37-53.
- Zheng, C., Yu, X. and Jin, Q. (2017). How User Relationships Affect User Perceived Value Propositions of Enterprises on Social Commerce Platforms, Information Systems Frontiers, 19(6), 1261–1271. doi.org/10.1007/s10796-017-9766-y
- Zhong, Q., Liang, S., Cui, L., Chan, H.K. and Qiu, Y. (2018). Using online reviews to explore consumer purchasing behaviour in different cultural settings, Kybernetes, 48(6), 1242-1263. doi.org/10.1108/K-03-2018-0117