King Abdulaziz University Hospital (Saudi Arabia)
There is a lack of studies on innovations and competitiveness in Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Saudi Arabia; to fell this gap, this paper will study change as the competitive advantage for Small and Medium Enterprises: the case for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The study aims to explore different practices of SMEs in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to examine the impact of innovation strategies (Organizational, Product, Process, and Market) on the competitive advantage of SMEs. The study was conducted on one hundred and forty-seven (147) SMEs that are practising different activities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The study’s analysis indicates that most of the enterprises were young (operation years were less than ten years), which shows the strong need to apply innovative strategies to maintain their position and competitiveness in the market. Competitive advantage enables the firm to utilise its resources efficiently and maintain high levels of quality performance. The results show that the correlation between Innovation strategies such as product innovation strategy, market innovation strategy, process innovation strategy, and organisational innovation strategy practised by SMEs in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and competitiveness was Positive. Therefore, it indicates that different innovation strategies were significantly influencing the competitiveness of the SMEs. To remain a competitor enterprise in the market is not a natural or an easy attempt, and it can be challenging for SMEs, especially without the needed knowledge and support. Findings and recommendations of the study can be used as a guideline for SMEs. Also, emphasising on the importance of education that plays a vital role in SMEs innovations. It is essential to establish with different research centres and universities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia programs or activities that focus on changes in business, and it will result in gaining competitive advantage and sustainability for Small and Medium Enterprises in the market.
Keywords: competitive advantage, innovation, small enterprises, medium enterprises.
JEL Classification: D2, Q33, M31.
Cite as: Alghanmi, A. O. (2020). Innovations as the competitive advantage for small and medium enterprises: the case for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 196-205. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.2-14
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Adhikari, M. B. (2011). Innovation: Tools to Create Competitive Advantage for Business. Available at SSRN 1874666. [Google Scholar]
- Atherton, A. & Hannon, P. (2019). The innovation process in the small business: an analysis of its structure, dynamics and constituent parts. In ICSB Global Conference. [Google Scholar]
- Boubaa, A. W. (2011). Role of the Professor Edrem the official electoral messages field, the system administrations, the pigeonhole resonances of the human being, scheduled – Enbilis – Unpublished Master Thesis, University of Mentouri – Algeria.
- Brunow, S., & Miersch, V. (2015). Innovation capacity, workforce diversity and intra-industrial externalities: a study of German establishments. In The Rise of the City. Edward Elgar Publishing. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Chahal, H., & Bakshi, P. (2014). Effect of intellectual capital on competitive advantage and business performance: role of innovation and learning culture. International Journal of Learning and Intellectual Capital, 11(1), 52-70. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Distanont, A., & Khongmalai, O. (2018). The role of innovation in creating a competitive advantage. Kasetsart Journal of Social Sciences. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Dubai SME. (2013). The state of Small & Medium enterprises (SMES) in Dubai. Retrieved from http://www.sme.ae/studiesandresearchdocument/sme_report_english.pdf
- Epetimehin, F. M. (2011). Achieving competitive advantage in insurance industry: The impact of marketing innovation and creativity. Journal of emerging trends in economics and management sciences, 2(1), 18-21. [Google Scholar]
- Hervas-Oliver, J. L., Boronat-Moll, C., & Sempere-Ripoll, F. (2016). On Process Innovation Capabilities in SMEs: A Taxonomy of Process-Oriented Innovative SMEs. Small Business Management, 54(S1), 113-134. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hussain, M. F., & Ilyas, S. (2011). Environment for Innovation: Gaining competitive advantage. African Journal of Business Management, 5(4), 1232-1235. [Google Scholar]
- Ionescu A. & Dumitru, N. R. (2015). The Role of Innovation in Creating the Company’s Competitive Advantage. Ecoforum Journal, 4(1), 14. [Google Scholar]
- Kalkan, A., Bozkurt, O. C., & Arman, M. (2014). The impacts of intellectual capital, innovation and organisational strategy on firm performance. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 700-707. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kamasak, R., & Bulutlar, F. (2010). The influence of knowledge sharing on innovation. European Business Review, 22(3), 306-317. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kraja, Y., & Osmani, E. (2013). Competitive advantage and its impact in small and medium enterprises (SMEs)(Case of Albania). European Scientific Journal, 9(16), 76-85. [Google Scholar]
- Kuncoro, W., & Suriani, W. O. (2018). Achieving sustainable competitive advantage through product innovation and market driving. Asia Pacific Management Review, 23(3), 186-192. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Liao, S. H., & Wu, C. C. (2010). System perspective of knowledge management, organisational learning, and organisational innovation. Expert systems with Applications, 37(2), 1096-1103. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Mburu, P. W. (2016). Relationship Between Innovation Strategies and Competitive Advantage in the logistics firms in Mombasa County, Kenya. Unpublished Master Thesis, University of Nairobi. Retrieved from http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/handle/11295/98589
- Mind Tools Content Team. (n.d.). Porter’s Generic Strategies: Choosing Your Route to Success. Retrieved from https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newSTR_82.htm
- Monshaat Supporting Pillars. Retrieved from https://www.monshaat.gov.sa/
- Mugenda, O., & Mugenda, A. G. (2003). Research methods: Quantitative and Qualitative methods. Revised in Nairobi.
- Urbancova, H. (2013). Competitive advantage achievement through innovation and knowledge. Journal of competitiveness, 5(1). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wingwon, B. (2012). Effects of Entrepreneurship, Organisation Capability, Strategic Decision Making and Innovation toward the Competitive Advantage of SMEs Enterprises. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 2(1), 137-150. [Google Scholar]