Alina Vysochyna, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9490-1026
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Olena Kryklii, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4825-3950
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Sumy State University, Ukraine
Aliyeva Aygun Akbar, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4660-9324
Institute of Control Systems of National Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan
Kateryna Demchuk, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9556-1625
University of Applied Sciences of Hamburg, Hamburg
This article generalises arguments and counterarguments within the scientific discussion regarding the determination of the influence of illegal economic activity and expansion of the shadow economy on innovative country development. The systematisation of the scientific works on the above problems proves that there is no one no complexity and unity in the above-mentioned scientific findings, which, in turn, demonstrates the necessity of further theoretical and empirical search in this sphere. Thus, it was developed a scientific hypothesis about the negative influence of the shadow economy on innovative country development. In order to test this hypothesis it was developed a scientific and methodological approach that consists of several stages: 1) correlation analysis in order to eliminate multicollinearity problem between control variables; 2) analysis of dataset descriptive statistics; 3) running Hausman test in order to clarify specification of the regression model (fixed or random effects model); 4) realisation of the panel data regression analysis for the whole country sample and separately for Ukraine, characteristics of its results. Technically all stages of the research are realised with the help of Stata 12/S.E. software. The country sample consists of 9 countries (Azerbaijan, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, and Ukraine). Time horizon – 2008-2018. Running of the panel data regression analysis (model specification – with fixed effects) allow confirming research hypothesis for the whole country sample (an increase of shadow economy negatively affected innovative country development: an increase of shadow economy to GDP ratio in 1 % leads to the decrease of the Global Innovation Index in 0.5 points). However, it was not proved for Ukraine separately. It leads to the conclusion that innovative development in Ukraine does not highly dependent on the shadow economy scale because of more significant obstacles on the way on innovation adoption (institutional inefficiency, regulatory drawbacks etc.).
Keywords: innovative economic growth, innovative state management, panel data analysis, shadow economy.
JEL Classification: H30, H72, E62, O47.
Cite as: Vysochyna, A., Kryklii, O., Minchenko, M., Aliyeva, A. A., & Demchuk, К. (2020). Country innovative development: impact of shadow economy . Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 41-49. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.4-03
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Akhondzadeh, A. (2019). Analysis of the Factors Affecting the Implementation of Virtual R&D in Iranian Tile and Ceramic Companies Using Structural Equation Modeling Approach. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef].
- AUgbaka, M., Awujola, A., & Shcherbyna, T. (2019). Economic Development, Foreign Aid and Poverty Reduction: Paradigm in Nigeria. SocioEconomic Challenges, 3(4), 5-12. [Google Scholar]
- Bhowmik, D. (2018). Financial Crises and Nexus Between Economic Growth and Foreign Direct Investment. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(1), 58-74. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Biewendt, M., Blaschke, F., & Böhnert, A. (2020). An Evaluation Of Corporate Sustainability In Context Of The Jevons. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(3), 46-65. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bonamigo, A., & Mendes, D. (2019). Value Co-creation and Leadership: An Analysis Based on the Business Ecosystem Concept. Business Ethics and Leadership, 3(4), 66-73. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Boyarko, I. M., & Samusevych, Y. V. (2011). Role of intangible assets in company’s value creation. Actual Problems of Economics, (117), 86-94.
- Delanoy, N., & Kasztelnik, K. (2020). Business Open Big Data Analytics to Support Innovative Leadership and Management Decision in Canada. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(2), 56-74. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef].
- Global Innovation Index Reports. (2020). Retrieved from [Link]
- Goncharenko, T. (2020). From Business Modelling to the Leadership and Innovation in Business: Bibliometric Analysis (Banking as a Case). Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(1), 113-125. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hrytsenko, L. L., Roienko, V. V., & Boiarko, I. M. (2018). Institutional background of the role of state in investment processes activation. Financial and credit activity: problems of theory and practice, 1(24), 338-344. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Jahan, M. (2019). Factors Affecting Customer Satisfaction of the Ride-sharing Industry in Bangladesh. Business Ethics and Leadership, 3(4), 74-80. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef].
- Kaya, H. D. (2020). Business Friendliness, Firm Performance and Owner’s Optimism. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(3), 13-23. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lopez, B. S., & Alcaide, A.V. (2020). Blockchain, AI and IoT to Improve Governance, Financial Management and Control of Crisis: Case Study COVID-19. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(2), 78-89 [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lyeonov, S., Кuzmenko, О., Yarovenko, H., & Dotsenko, T. (2019). The Innovative Approach to Increasing Cybersecurity of Transactions Through Counteraction to Money Laundering. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 308-326. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef].
- Medina, L., & Schneider, F. (2018). Shadow Economies Around the World: What Did We Learn Over the Last 20 Years? Retrieved from [Link].
- Sadigov, M., Kuzmenko, O., & Yarovenko, H. (2020). Blockchain technology based system-dynamic simulation modeling of enterprise’s cyber security system. Economic and Social Development: Book of Proceedings, 399-408. [Google Scholar]
- Singh, S. N. (2018). Regional Disparity and Sustainable Development in NorthEastern States of India: A Policy Perspective. SocioEconomic Challenges, 2(2), 41-48. [Google Scholar]
- Tommaso, F. D., & Gulinelli, A. (2019). Corporate Governance and Economic Performance: The Limit of Short Termism. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 3(4), 49-61. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Toyin, O. W., & Oludayol A. E. (2020). Dynamic Effects of Foreign Portfolio Investment on Economic Growth in Nigeria . Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(3), 5-12. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Tsalikis, J., & Seaton, B. (2020). Corporate Social Responsibility: A Cross-National Study of the Treatment of Consumers and Employees. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(2), 6-15. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef].
- Umadia, Sr. K., & Kasztelnik, K. (2020). The Financial Innovative Business Strategies of Small to Medium Scale Enterprises in Developing Country and Influence for the Global Economy Performance. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(3), 20-32. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Vasylieva, T. A., & Kasyanenko, V. O. (2013). Integral assessment of innovation potential of Ukraine’s national economy: A scientific methodical approach and practical calculations. Actual Problems of Economics, 144(6), 50-59.
- Vasylieva, T., Lyeonov, S., Lyulyov, O., & Kyrychenko, K. (2018). Macroeconomic Stability and Its Impact on the Economic Growth of the Country. Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 14(1), 159-170. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- World Bank DataBank. (2020). Retrieved from [Link].
- Yarovenko, H., Kuzmenko, O., & Stumpo, M. (2020a). DEA-Analysis Of The Effectiveness Of The Country’s Information Security System. SocioEconomic Challenges, 4(3), 142-153. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yarovenko, H., Kuzmenko, O., & Stumpo, M. (2020b). Strategy for Determining Country Ranking by Level of Cybersecurity. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 4(3), 124-137. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Zolkover, A., & Terziev, V. (2020). The Shadow Economy: A Bibliometric Analysis. Business Ethics and Leadership, 4(3), 107-118. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]