Jadara University (Jordan)
Jadara University (Jordan)
Jadara University (Jordan)
Jadara University (Jordan)
Jadara University (Jordan)
This research study aims at developing a knowledge management system to enhance Jordanian Banks Performance. The authors developed the system by examining three variables: knowledge processes, knowledge perspectives and balanced scorecard. The research sample included all 327 bank employees (directors, general directors, deputies, assistant managers & chairpersons) working in six commercial and Islamic-commercial Jordanian banks, from which 193 completed the study questionnaire. AMOS software was used to treat and organize the collected data. Path analysis proved that the optimal study model excludes the process of knowledge diagnose from knowledge processes, and considers organizational culture perspective as the best moderating variable through which the system can be applied in Jordanian banks. There is a difference in the effect level of the knowledge management system to enhance performance in the Jordanian commercial and Islamic banks. The obtained results indicate that there is a strong relationship between information technology, knowledge management and high business values. Banks managements were not keen to share knowledge with universities and research centres. They depended on existing knowledge, developed knowledge by experiments, or borrowed it from other financial institutions. This study confirmed that knowledge management practice contributes to increasing efficacy and experience, contributing in turn in enhancing human capital in knowledge-intensive business service in Spain. Knowledge management use in Jordan banks increased employee’s satisfaction toward using operating business and the quality of knowledge obtained. As a result, banking services and trust in banks increased. Based on the research results, it is recommended that banks managements develop, equip, and update banks systems, recruit professional employees and to seek experts and researcher’s assistance in this regard. Banks managements should adopt models that replace diagnosis from the knowledge processes with organizational culture. Besides, management should develop banking knowledge and pay attention to other knowledge management processes.
Keywords: knowledge processes, knowledge perspectives, balanced scorecard.
JEL Classification: D2, D80.
Cite as: Alomari, K. A. K., Aljawarneh, N. M., Alomari, Z. S., Albdareen, R., & Alawneh, A. (2020). Innovations in knowledge management perspectives: an empirical study in the Jordanian commercial and Islamic banks. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 102-119. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2020.4-08
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Abualoush, S. H., Obeidat, A. M., Tarhini, A., & Al-Badi, A. (2018). The role of employees’ empowerment as an intermediary variable between knowledge management and information systems on employees’ performance. VINE Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Alavi, M. (1997). Knowledge Management and knowledge Systems. Knowing Medford: New Jersey.
- Al-Badarin, R. Q., & Al-Azzeam, A. H. (2017). Job design and its impact on the job strain: Analyzing the job as a moderating variable in the private hospitals in Irbid. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 7(3), 152-168. [Google Scholar]
- Al-Bdareen, R., & Khasawneh, H. (2019). Human resources staffing process and its impact on job involvement: Irbid District Electricity Company as a case study. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 17(2), 254. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Al-Da’abseh, T. K., Aljawarneh, N. M. S., & Shwiyat, Z. M. (2018). Marketing Mix Startegies and Its Impact on Organizational Performance Efficiency in the Jordanian Company for Investment and Supply-Safeway: An Empirical Study. Invention Journal of Research Technology in Engineering & Management, 2(2), 14-23. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Al-Jawarneh, N. M. S. (2016). Case Study: Business management school at the turkish republic of north cyprus and how strategic thinking and planning can improve the performance of the organization to maintain stable between competitors. Invention Journal of Research Technology in Engineering & Management (IJRTEM), 1(5), 64-72. [Google Scholar]
- Aljawarneh, N. M. S., & Atan, T. (2018). Linking Tolerance to Workplace Incivility, Service Innovative, Knowledge Hiding, and Job Search Behavior: The Mediating Role of Employee Cynicism. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 11(4), 298-320. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Aljawarneh, N., & Al-Omari, Z. (2018). The Role of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems ERP in Improving Customer Relationship Management CRM: An Empirical Study of Safeway Company of Jordan. International Journal of Business and Management, 13(8), 86-100. [Google Scholar]
- Al-Khatatneh, W. R., & Al-Sa’aydeh. M. I. (2009). The level of Awareness of Jordanian Industrial Public Companies’ Managers of the Significance of the Non-Financial Perspectives (Measures) of the Balanced Scorecards (BSC) in Evaluating the Performance of their Companies. Jordan Journal of Business Administration, 5(1), 1-18. [Google Scholar]
- Al-Omari, Z., Al-Omari, K., & Aljawarneh, N. (2020). The role of empowerment in improving internal process, customer satisfaction, learning and growth. Management Science Letters, 10(4), 841-848. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Alshare, F., Aljawarneh, N., Alomari, K., Alomari, Z., Albdareen, R., AAlwagfi, A., & Alradaideh, A. (2020). Factors influencing cellular device purchase decisions in Jordan. Management Science Letters, 10(11), 2501-2506. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Alwagfi, A. A., Aljawarneh, N. M., & Alomari, K. A (2020). Work Ethics and Social Responsibility: Actual and Aspiration. Journal of Management Research, (12)1, 26-36. [Google Scholar]
- Anantatmula, V., & Kanungo, S. (2006). Structuring the underlying relations among the knowledge management outcomes. Journal of knowledge management, 10(4), 25-42. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Applehans, W., Globe, A., & Laugero, G. (1998). Managing knowledge: A practical web-based approach. Reading, Mass. Addison-Wesley. [Google Scholar]
- Bahiri, S. S. (2004). Performance Balance Management. Egypt, Alexandria: University House.
- Bi, X. Q., & Zhang, F. F. (2010). Notice of Retraction: The performance evaluation of enterprise knowledge management based on AHP. In 2010 IEEE International Conference on Advanced Management Science (ICAMS 2010) (Vol. 2, pp. 543-547). IEEE. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Browne, M. W., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model? In K.A. Bolen & J.S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models (pp. 136–162). News-bury Park, CA: Sage.[Google Scholar]
- Dalkir, K. (2005). Knowledge management in theory and practice. 2005. Germany, Burlington, MA: Elsvier Butterworth-Heinemann. [Google Scholar]
- Dargham. M. & Abo Fadah, M. (2009). The effect of implementing the balanced score card in enhancing the strategic financial performance of the national banks in Gaza: field study. Journal of the Islamic University. Gaza: Palestine.
- Dasi, W. (2007). The role of knowledge management in achieving a competitive advantage: an applied study in the public banks in Syria. (Unpublished master dissertation). Damascus University, Damascus, Syria.
- Dodeen, A. (2009). The role of knowlegd management in achieving competitive advantage in banks working in Gaza Stripe. Zarqa Journal for Research. 9(2)
- Drucker, P. F. (1999). Knowledge-worker productivity: the biggest challenge. California Management Review, 41(2), 79-94.. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Fernandez, I. B., Gonzalez, A., & Sabherwal, R. (2004). Knowledge Management–Challenges, Solutions and Technologies. Ney Jersey: Pearson Education. [Google Scholar]
- Gefen, D., Straub, D., & Boudreau, M. C. (2000). Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice. Communications of the association for information systems, 4(1), 7. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hofsted, G. (1991). CultureandorgaTu’zations: Softwareofthemind. London: McGrawHill.
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural equation modeling: a multidisciplinary journal, 6(1), 1-55. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hui, L. I. (2010). Building up a performance indicator system of international projects, based on the balanced scorecard. Management Science and Engineering, 4(2), 82-91. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (2007). Using the balanced scorecard as a strategic management system. Harvard business review, 85(7-8), 15.[Link]
- Kaplan, R., & D. Norton. (1996). The Balanced Scorecard. Boston: Harvard Business School, Press.
- Karasneh, A. F., & Al-Khalili, S. (2009). Knowledge Management Components: Analytical Study in the Jordanian Ministry of Education. Jordan Journal of Business Administration, 5(3), 293-326. [Link]
- Kubaisi, S. E. (2002). Knowledge Management. Second edition. Egypt, Cairo: The Arab Administrative Development Organization.
- Kumari, N. (2011). Balanced scorecard for superior organizational performance. European Journal of Business and Management, 3(5), 73-86. [Google Scholar]
- Laudon, K., & Laudon, J. (2009). Management Information Systems: International Edition, 11/E. KC Laudon, Management Information Systems: International Edition, 11. [Google Scholar]
- Laudon, K.C., & Laudon, J.P. (2001). Essentials of Management Information Systems: Organization and Technology in the networked enterprise. Upper Saddle River. Prentice Hall. [Google Scholar]
- Mahafzah, A. G., Aljawarneh, N. M., Alomari, K. A. K., Altahat, S., & Alomari, Z. S. (2020). Impact of customer relationship management on food and beverage service quality: The mediating role of employees satisfaction. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 8(2), 222-230.[Google Scholar]
- Malkawi, I. A. (2007). Knowledge Management: Practices and Concepts. Jordan, Amman: Al-Warraq Publishing.
- Malkawi, N. M., Baniata, M. I., & Obeidat, A. M. (2017). The Impact of E-Government Applications on Decision-Making Effectiveness: Case Study at Jordanian Ministry of Interior-Jordan. International Review of Management and Business Research, 6(1), 172. [Google Scholar]
- Marjani, A. B., & Arabi, P. (2011). The role of organizational intelligence in organizational knowledge management (the case of the Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran). European Journal of Social Sciences, 26, 1, 49-58.
- Obeidat, A. (2019). IT Adaption with Knowledge Conversion Process (SECI)? Management Science Letters, 9(13), 2241-2252. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Palacios-Marques, D., Gil-Pechuán, I., & Lim, S. (2011). Improving human capital through knowledge management practices in knowledge-intensive business services. Service Business, 5(2), 99. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rokaya, A. L., & Al-Ghazzawi, H. (2018). Diversity training and its impact on the employees’ organizational commitment: job satisfaction as a moderating variable in the Classic Fashion Apparel Industry company. International Journal of Business and Management, 13(10). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2007). Research methods for business students (4th Ed.). Harlow: Pearson Education Limited. [Google Scholar]
- Sekaran, U. (2003). Research methods for business: A skill building approach (4th ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, J. R. G. (2009). Research methods for business: Askill building approach (5th ed). New York, NY : Joun Wiley & Sons Inc. [Google Scholar]
- Shehadeh, A. L., & Albdareen, R. (2015). Organizational justice and its impact on the commitment of faculty members to work ethics: empirical study on private universities in north provinces. European Journal of Business and Management, 7(12), 196-212. [Google Scholar]
- Singh, S. P., & Grange, T. (2006). Measuring pathways to care in first-episode psychosis: a systematic review. Schizophrenia research, 81(1), 75-82. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Tiwana, A. (2000). The knowledge management toolkit: practical techniques for building a knowledge management system. Prentice Hall PTR. [Google Scholar]
- Wiig, K. M., Després, C., & Chauvel, D. (2000). Knowledge horizons: the present and promise of knowledge management. [Google Scholar]
- Wu, C. R., Lin, C. T., & Tsai, P. H. (2009). Analyzing alternatives in financial services for wealth management banks: the analytic network process and the balanced scorecard approach. IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, 20(3), 303-321. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wuensch, K. L. (2005). Kurtosis. In B. S. Everitt & D. C. Howell (Eds.), Encyclopedia of statistics in behavioral science (pp. 1028-1029). Chichester, UK: Wiley.