Vaclav Kupec, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3731-994X
University of Finance and Administration (Czech Republic)
Premysl Písar, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0374-4123
University of Finance and Administration (Czech Republic)
The current hyper-competitive environment, rapid marketing tools, and modern techniques provide many opportunities for small and medium-sized businesses. Such opportunities could bring much in the way of rewards both for the individual companies and the wider economy. However, there are many threats associated with these business environments which cannot be overlooked. Small and medium-sized businesses are a significant stabilizing economic power within the European Union. Therefore, it is not surprising that small and medium-sized businesses competitiveness and their long-term stability are vital factors for European cohesion and development. This research aims to analyze risk management within small and medium-sized businesses, identify critical risk factors, and develop risk management, which could be applied to small and medium-sized businesses. The authors analyzed risk management’s consequences and explained the variables as follows: ROA, Auditing, Controlling Management, Marketing, and Corporate Culture. Based on the research findings, the goal was to increase their interaction effectiveness, focusing on small and medium-sized businesses long-term stability and competitiveness. For achieving these aims, the paper provides two research questions and designs three hypotheses. This research was conducted from 2017 to 2020 on sample n = 432 EU small and medium-sized businesses. The reached data were analyzed by statistical method and experimental «in practice» testing. Based on the result and its experimental testing, a marketing risk management model was designed, tested, and verified using practical methods. This model could be used for the identification and avoidance of potential risks when developing a marketing strategy. The findings reached should be used to advance research and similarly for practical use within the business sphere.
Keywords: risk management, auditing, controlling, marketing, SME, corporate culture.
JEL Classification: G32, M10, M30, M40.
Cite as: Kupec, V., & Pisar, P. (2021). Auditing and controlling as a tool for sme marketing risk management. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 225-235. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2021.1-17
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Abdul-Halim, H., Ahmad, N. H., Geare, A., & Thurasamy, R. (2018). Innovation culture in SMEs: The importance of organizational culture, organizational learning and market orientation. Entrepreneurship Research Journal, 9(3). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Barbu, A., & Isaic-Maniu, A. (2011). Data collection in Romanian market research: A comparison between prices of PAPI, CATI and CAWI. Management & Marketing, 6(3), 349. [Google Scholar]
- Bauer, A. & Gati, M. (2019). Marketing Decision-Making in Hungarian SMEs. TržiSte, 1(39). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Belas, J., & Sopkova, G. (2016). Significant determinants of the competitive environment for SMEs in the context of financial and credit risks. Journal of International Studies, 9(2), 139-149. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Belas, J., Amoah, J., Petrakova, Z., Kljuchnikava, Y., & Bilan, Y. (2020). Selected factors of SMEs management in the service sector. Journal of Tourism and Services, 21(11), 129-146. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bunget, O. C., & Brînduşe, A. I. (2019). Connection Between Controlling Department and Management-Premise for Achieving Organizational Objectives. Audit Financiar, 17(156). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cronbach, L. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika, 16(3), 297-334. [Google Scholar]
- Darlington, R. B., & Hayes, A. F. (2016). Regression Analysis and Linear Models: Concepts, Applications, and Implementation. Guilford Publications. [Google Scholar]
- de Araújo Lima, P. F., Crema, M., & Verbano, C. (2020). Risk management in SMEs: A systematic literature review and future directions. European Management Journal, 38(1), 78-94. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Dvorsky, J., Petrakova, Z., & Polach, J. (2019). Assessing the market, financial and economic risk sources by Czech and Slovak SMEs. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge, 7(2), 30-40. [Google Scholar]
- Dzwigol, H. (2020). Innovation in Marketing Research: Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 128-135. [CrossRef]
- Dzwigol, H., Dzwigol-Barosz, M., Miskiewicz, R., & Kwilinski, A. (2020). Manager Competency Assessment Model in the Conditions of Industry 4.0. Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues, 7(4), 2630-2644. [CrossRef]
- Eisend, M., Evanschitzky, H., & Gilliland, D. I. (2016). The influence of organizational and national culture on new product performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 33(3), 260-276. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Fiordelisi, F., & Ricci, O. (2014). Corporate culture and CEO turnover. Journal of Corporate Finance, 28, 66-82.
- Fiordelisi, F., & Ricci, O. (2014). Corporate culture and CEO turnover. Journal of Corporate Finance, 28, 66-82. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Furtuna, C., & Ciucioi, A. (2019). Internal Audit in the Era of Continuous Transformation. Survey of Internal Auditors in Romania. The Audit Financiar journal, 17(155), 452-452. [Google Scholar]
- Garbellano, S. R., & Da Veiga, M. D. R. (2019). Dynamic capabilities in Italian leading SMEs adopting industry 4.0. Measuring Business Excellence, 23(4), 472-483. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Gavora, P. (1999). Úvod do pedagogického vyskumu. Univerzita Komenského.
- Ghods, M. A. (2019). Entrepreneurial marketing: the missing link in social enterprise studies. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 9(1), 1-12. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Giddens, A. (2013). Sociologie. Praha: Argo.
- Guiso, L., Sapienza, P., & Zingales, L. (2015). The value of corporate culture. Journal of Financial Economics, 117(1), 60-76. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Gupta, A. (2019). Risk Management and Simulation. London: CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-4398-3595-1.
- Hudakova, M., Masar, M., Luskova, M., & Patak, M. R. (2018). The dependence of perceived business risks on the size of SMEs. Journal of Competitiveness, 10(4), 54-69. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Hudakova, M., Schönfeld, J., Dvorsky, J., & Luskova, M. (2017). The market risk analysis and methodology of its more effective management in SMEs in the Slovak Republic. Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 13(2), 151-161. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Karlícek, M. (2018). Zaklady marketingu. Praha: Grada.
- Kosacka-Olejnik, M., & Pitakaso, R. (2019). Industry 4.0: state of the art and research implications. LogForum, 15(4). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kupec, V. (2018). First Step of Marketing Audit: Risk Analysis. Marketing Identity, 6(1/1), 370-380. [Google Scholar]
- Kupec, V. (2018). Risk Audit of Marketing Communication. European Research Studies Journal, 21(1), 125-132. [Google Scholar]
- Kuznetsova A., Kalynets K., Kozmuk N. (2018). Innovative management in global financial csr governance. Marketing and management of innovations, 2. P. 262-269. [CrossRef]
- Kuznyetsova A. Ya., Voznyak H. V., Zherebylo I. V. (2018). Social and economic effects of inter-budgetary relations’ decentralization in Ukraine: assessment and challenges. Financial and credit activities: problems of theory and practice, 4(27) P. 446-456. [CrossRef]
- Kuznyetsova A. Ya., Zherebylo I. V., Klipkova O. I., Kozmuk N. I. (2019). Creation of the value of national enterprises with the help of the innovation centers in the cluster formations. Financial and credit activities: problems of theory and practice, 2(29), 391-402. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kwilinski, A. (2018). Mechanism of formation of industrial enterprise development strategy in the information economy. Virtual Economics, 1(1), 7-25. [CrossRef]
- Kwilinski, A., Vyshnevskyi, O., & Dzwigol, H. (2020). Digitalization of the EU Economies and People at Risk of Poverty or Social Exclusion. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 13(7), 142. [CrossRef]
- Laval, V. (2018). How to Increase the Value-added of Controlling: A Guide to an Efficient and Sustainable Management Support. Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG. [Google Scholar]
- Liao, Z. (2018). Corporate culture, environmental innovation and financial performance. Business Strategy and the Environment, 27(8), 1368-1375. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Liu, X. (2016). Corruption culture and corporate misconduct. Journal of Financial Economics, 122(2), 307-327. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Mares, D., & Petra, N. (2018). Stabilization Factors of Family Enterprises in the Context of Macroeconomic Performance. European Research Studies Journal, 21(1), 206-220. [Google Scholar]
- MikuSova, M. (2017). To be or not to be a business responsible for sustainable development? Survey from small Czech businesses. Economic research-Ekonomska istraživanja, 30(1), 1318-1338. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Moorman, C., van Heerde, H. J., Moreau, C. P., & Palmatier, R. W. (2019). Challenging the Boungaries of Marketing. Journal of marketing: A quarterly publication of the american marketing association, 83(5), 1-4. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Mura, L. (2020). Innovations And Marketing Management Of Family Businesses: Results Of Empirical Study. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge, 8(2), 56-66. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Mura, L., Zulova, J., & MadleHak, A. (2016). Strategic management and management of personnel costs: employing young people in the Slovak Republic. Problems and perspectives in management, 14(1), 79-84. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Narayanaswamy, R., Raghunandan, K., & Rama, D. V. (2019). Internal auditing in India and China: some empirical evidence and issues for research. Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 34(4), 511-523. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- O’Dwyer, M., Gilmore, A., & Carson, D. (2009). Innovative marketing in SMEs. European Journal of Marketing, 43(1/2), 46. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Olsovska, A., Mura, L., & Svec, M. (2016). Personnel management in Slovakia: An explanation of the latent issues. Polish journal of management studies, 13(2), 110–120. [Google Scholar][CrossRef]
- Petru, N., Pavlak, M., & Polak, J. (2019). Factors impacting startup sustainability in the Czech Republic. Innovative Marketing, 15(3), 1-15. [Google Scholar]
- Pisar, P., & Bilkova, D. (2019). Controlling as a tool for SME management with an emphasis on innovations in the context of Industry 4.0. Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, 14(4), 763-785. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Písar, P., & Kupec, V. (2019). Innovative controlling and audit–opportunities for SMEs. Problems and Perspectives in Management, 17(3), 184. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Senkova, A., Sambronska, K., Mitrikova, J., Matusikova, D., & Matkova, S. (2016). Corporate culture as a tool for increasing employee motivation. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 13.[Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Svec, M., & Madlenak, A. (2017). Legal frameworks for the phygital concept. European Journal of Science and Theology, 13(6), 209-217. [Google Scholar]
- Tsintsadze, A., Oniani, L., & Ghoghoberidze, T. (2018). Determining and predicting correlation of macroeconomic indicators on credit risk caused by overdue credit. Banks & bank systems, 13(3), 114-119. [Google Scholar]
- Uslu, A., Alagöz, G., & Güneş, E. (2020). Socio-cultural, Economic, and Environmental Effects of Tourism from the Point of View of the Local Community. Journal of Tourism and Services, 11(21), 1-21. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Virglerova, Z. (2018). Differences in the Concept of Risk Management in V4 Countries. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge, 6(2), 100–109. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Virglerova, Z., Conte, F., Amoah, J., & Massaro, M. R. (2020). The Perception Of Legal Risk And Its Impact On The Business Of Smes. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Knowledge, 8(2), 1-13. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wijayatunga, P. (2016). A geometric view on Pearson’s correlation coefficient and a generalization of it to non-linear dependencies. Ratio Mathematica, 30, 3-21. ISSN 15927415. Retrieved from [Link]
- Xhani, N., Avram, M., Mece, I., & Cela, L. (2019). Comparative Study on the Organization of Internal Public Audit in Albania and Romania. Audit Financiar, 17(155). [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]