Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Marketing and Entrepreneurship of Technical-Humanistic Academy (Bielsko-Biala, Poland), Professor of the Economic Theory Department of Sumy State University
Student of the Faculty of Economics and Management of Sumy State University
The aim of the article. The author emphasizes in the article that great media event which has been arranged and organized by the authorities (e.g. the European Championship on the football Euro-2012) has a direct impact on the growth of national brand popularity in the international ranking. In particular, the positive results of the arrangement of the European Championship Euro-2012 have been analyzed in the article. The problems of recognizing of Polish trade brands and logos are explored. Media events and brand-leaders are considered. The championship Euro-2012 has been also viewed as a media event in the article. The status of the Polish national brand has been investigated.
The results of the analysis. It has been revealed that inhabitants of such three Polish provinces as Lyubuskij, Lodzinskij and Kuyavsko-Pomorskij are the most benefited from the European Championship. Such benefits were the result of investing into the road projects. It will be enough to look at the motorway network. Lyubuskij province it is A2, Kuyavsko-Pomorskij province – A1, Lodzinskij one is intersection of the both above mentioned motorways. When the roads are being built, the people who sell the land enrich, as well as the building companies and their local subcontractors. The investment attractiveness of the by-the-road territories is growing up. The plants, logistic centers, inks, motels, filling stations also appear. But, first of all, Poland has gained benefits and the value of its national brand has attained a high 20th place. Euro-2012 as a one of the four world biggest sports events which has been arranged once a four-year cycle had a favorable impact on the Polish brand, significantly improved Polish «soft power». It is the ability to achieve goals with the help of different methods from the power supported by geopolitical and economic factors (so called «hard power»).
Conclusions and directions of futher researches. The authors plan to explore the components of Ukrainian national brand in futher studies, the impact of media events on it.
Keywords: national popularization, national brand, media events, image, reputation, brand capital
JEL Classification: O50, P46, Z10.
Cite as: Klisinski Ja. & Prokopenko, M. (2013). Media events and their impact on Polish national brand. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 32-41. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2013.4-03
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Videra Z. (2006). Obmannyi marketinh v sporte na fone evolutsii marketinha [Deceptive marketing in sport in the evolution of marketing]. Marketing dlia Sporta – Marketing for Sport. Warsaw: Sport &Business Foundation [in Russian].
- Klisinski Ya. (2012). EURO 2012 – vedushii brend UEFA v katehorii «sportivnoie zrelishe» [UEFA as a leading brand in the category «sports show»]. Teoreticheskiie i prakticheskiei voprosy ekonomiki – Theoretical and practical issues of the economy, 27, 287-295 [in Russian].
- Klisinski Ya. (2010). Euro 2012 kak mehasportivnoie meropriiatie na Ukraine i v Polshe [Euro 2012 as a mega sports event in Ukraine and Poland]. Vestnik «Natsionalnoho universiteta» Lvovskiei politechnicheskii institut – «National University» Lviv Polytechnic, 680, 608-612 [in Russian].
- Klisinski Ya. (2012). Examples of brands and fag events of ambassadors of the national Brand of Poland and Ukraine. Marketing management. Selected Issues. Honorata Howaniec, Wiesіaw Waszkielewicz (Eds) [in English].
- Klisinski Ya. (2011). Marketing-Logistics Aspects in Organizing UEFA Euro 2012. Marketing and logistics problems in the management of organization. Honorata Howaniec, Wiesіaw Waszkielewicz (Eds) [in English].
- Klisinski Ya. (2012). Organization of brand European football championship for men EURO as the flag event for Poland and Ukraine in 2012. Upravleniie XXI veka. Novyie kontseptsii upravlenyia – Management of XXI century. New conceptions of management [in English].
- Klisinski Ya. (2011). Orhanizatsiia UEFA EURO 2012 kak sovremennyi vyzov natsionalnykh ekonomik Polshi i Ukraini [UEFA EURO 2012 organization as a modern challenge of national economies of Poland and Ukraine]. Teoreticheskiei i prakticheskiei voprosi ekonomiki – Theoretical and practical issues of the economy, 24, 205-211 [in Russian].
- Klisinski Ya. (2011). Orhanizatsiia Evropeiskoho futbolnoho Chempionata UEFA EURO 2012 [Organization of the European Football Championship UEFA EURO 2012]. Marketinh i Menedzhment Innovatsi – Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4 (2), 57-62 [in Russian].
- Klisinski, Ya., & Gadzik, A. (2010). EURO 2012 kak rehionalnoie sportivnoe sobytie v hlobalnom turizme [EURO 2012 as a regional sport event in the global tourism]. Teplice [in Polish].
- Klisinski Ya. (2012). Chempionat Evropy po futbolu sredi mushin UEFA-EURO 2012 kak vyzov operatoram stadionov, mahistratam horodov-hoziaev i pravitelstv Polshy i Ukrainy [European football championship among men UEFA-EURO 2012 as a challenge to operators of stadiums, the magistrates of the host cities and the governments of Poland and Ukraine]. Sportivnyi marketinh – vyzov horodam i rehionam – Sports Marketing as a challenge of cities and regions. Lodz: Public Academy [in Russian].
- Oficjalny serwis spółki 2012. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.2012.org.pl [in Polish].
- Lohotyp EVRO 2012 [Euro 2012 logo]. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.3a.com.pl/logotyp-euro 2012 [in Polish].
- Istoriia UEFA [History of UEFA]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.historiaUEFA com [in Russian].
- Obrazy dla maskotki euro 2012. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.obrazy_dla_maskotki_euro2012 [in Polish].
- Turisticheskii sait Polshy [Tourist site of Poland]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.tur-info.pl [in Russian].
- UEFA EURO 2012. Poland. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.UEFA_EURO_2012.pl [in Polish].
- Znamy logotypy miast gospodarzy Euro 2012. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.znamy_logotypy_miast_gospodarzy_Euro_2012.pl [in Polish].
- UEFA. Chempionat Evropy po futbolu 2012 [UEFA. Championship of Europe on football 2012]. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.UEFA_EURO_2012.ua [in Russian].
- Impact Peport – how EURO 2012 influences the economy of Poland. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.2012.org.pl/en/euro-2012/legacy/impact-report.html?pl/euro-2012/co-zostanie-po-euro/raport-impact= [in English].
- Marketing miejsc. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.gmazurek.com/download/marketing/st_ marketing_miejsc.pdf [in Polish].
- The TOP 20 Most Valuable Nation Brands. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://issuu.com/brandfinance/docs/bfj_nation_brands_100_2012 [in English].