Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Economic Cybernetic, Zaporizhzhya Institute of Economics and Information Technologies (Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine)
Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of the Department of Economic Cybernetic, Zaporizhzhya Institute of Economics and Information Technologies (Zaporizhzhya, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. The development of management and information technology has led to the emergence of large and expensive corporate information systems. However, the methods for assessing impact of such systems on the individual campaigns financial performance or on general management results, has not yet been determined. So, new approaches to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of modern information systems should be developed.
The results of the analysis. Outsourcing of information services is one of the promising methods for solving this problem. A transition to outsourcing allows commit some non-core tasks doing to specialized organizations. This, on the one hand, reduces many internal costs and, on the other hand, may cause an increase the costs for the organization of the interaction with the services providers. The paper presents a linear programming model that allows to choose information services, which should be given to outsourcing. The model is based on balancing the transaction costs associated with the outsourcing organization and the costs for their own information services. The model is proposed to be used together with the method of the outsourcing services provider choice. Now in Ukraine the quantity of service providers grows rapidly and access to the global cloud service systems increases. Therefore this task is extremely important and complicated. To substantiate choosing the best provider of outsourcing services the estimation procedure based on multiple heterogeneous criteria should be applied. The most important criterias are the cost of service, reliability, flexibility, software and hardware compatibility. For solving problems of multi-criteria selection can be used different methods, among which TOPSIS, PROMETHEE at al. The authors offer to use one of the lesser-known methods of multi-choice like VIKOR for solving it. The method ranks the information service providers by analyzing numerous factors. Feature of this method is the ability to use the criteria estimates, which are presented in the any values that fluctuate (interval, fuzzy, and others) and can be evaluated by interval or fuzzy expert assessments. The method uses a Hamming distance to obtain estimates for each criterion. The procedure for alternatives ranking calculation allows to select a solution that takes into the minimal distance from the ideal option both individual and averaged preferences. This article contains an example of selecting provider of IT outsourcing services using the VICOR method.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. Suggested models of substantiate decisions regarding transfer of certain information service functions to the outsourcing model in combination with approach to outsourcing services provider selecting based on modified VIKOR method allows to apply the latest technological solutions in development of information system and to improve its general and institutional effectiveness.
Keywords: information systems, transaction costs, outsourcing, linear programming, VIKOR
JEL Classification: C61, D61.
Cite as: Poluektova N. & Knyshenko, T. (2015). Decision-making methods in IT-outsourcing for enterprise information system. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 178-186. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2015.1-15
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Landefeld, J.S, & Fraumeni, B.M (2000). Measuring the New Economy. bea.gov. Retrieved from: http://bea.gov/about/pdf/newec.pdf [in English].
- Carr, N. (2004). Does IT Matter?: Information Technology and the Corrosion of Competitive Advantage. Published by Harvard Business School Press [in English].
- Klepper, R.J. (1992). A Model of the Evolution of IS Outsourcing Relationships. Proceedings of the Information Sytems. (pp. 262-268) [in English].
- Kweku-Muata, B., & Sullivan,W.E. (2002). Designing Effective Incentive-Oriented Outsourcing Contracts for ERP Systems. Proceedings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. (pp. 1-10) [in English].
- Olsen, K. (2006). Productivity impacts of offshoring and outsourcing: A review. STI Working Paper, OECD Directorate for Science, Technology and Industry (STI), Vol. 2006, 28 [in English].
- Kushnir, D. (2013). Doklad «Rynok IT autsorsinha v Ukraine: sostoianie, perspektivy, problemy razvitiia – stratehicheskaia rol HR» [The report «Marketplace of IT-outsourcing in Ukraine: condition, prospects, problems of development – the strategic role of HR»]. slideshare.net. Retrieved from: http://www.slideshare.net/RTC_Ukraine/hr-38406288 [in Russian].
- Afanasiev, N. (2013). IT-autsorsinh kak instrument resheniia zadach biznesa v periody transformatsii: Prakticheskii opyt [IT-outsourcing as a tool to solve business problems in transformation period: Practical experience]. www.cnews.ru. Retrieved from: http://www.cnews.ru/reviews/ppt/2013_ 10_10/2_Afanasyev.pdf [in Russian].
- Bryson, N., & Ngwenyama, O. (2000). Structuring I.S. Outsourcing Contracts for Mutual Gain: An Approach to Analyzing Performance Incentive Schemes. Journal of the Association for Information Systems 1, 351-367 [in English].
- Due, R.T. (1992). The real cost of outsourcing. Information Systems Management, Winter, 74-76 [in English].
- Rochester, J., & Douglas, D. (1990). Taking an Objective Look at Outsourcing. IS Analyzer, 28, 1-16 [in English].
- Кayt, G. (2013). Vliianie IT-autsorsinha na obemy vypuska produktsii, proizvoditelnost i tekhnicheskuiu effektivnost: na osnove dannykh indiiskikh firm [Impact of IT-outsourcing on the volume of output, productivity and technical efficiency on the basis of Indian firms]. Zhurnal evropeiskoi ekonomiki – Journal of the European economy, Vol. 12 (3), September, 291-316 [in Russian].
- Opricovic, S., & Gwo-Hshiung, Tz. (2007). Extended VIKOR method in comparison with outranking methods. European Journal of Operational Research ,178, 514-529 [in English].
- Duckstein, L., & Opricovic, S. (1980). Multiobjective optimization in river basin development. Water Resources Research, 16 (1), 14-20 [in English].
- Zhang N., & Wei, G. (2013). Extension of VIKOR method for decision making problem based on hesitant fuzzy set. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 37, 4938-4947 [in English].