Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Marketing and Logistics, Lviv Polytechnic National University (Lviv, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. The aim of the article is to select the optimal level of citizens participation in city development strategic planning and to suggest the role that citizens can play in the development of public services for them. The paper analyzes the advantages and disadvantages of citizens participation into the designing of a strategic plan for city development, as well as determines the desired level of such participation and identifies a new role that can be played by the inhabitants in the of process of the city development strategic plan creation. There were done the survey of employees of local self-governments from 107 cities of all Ukraine’s regions, conducted through questionnaires and focus groups.
Results of surveys and discussions are compared with current theories of local development and marketing managing. The results of the analysis shows that the current level of informational technologies development in Ukraine, social and political situation in small and middle cities create opportunities to transform citizens from passive observers into prosumers.
Urban development must ensure «civilized society» for their residents that is one which demonstrates rather high level of welfare, culture, education and technological development. The concept of «civilization» declare the ability to make decisions concerning the person’s present and future and community, of which he or she is a member. If city residents can not influence the actions of local authorities, to participate directly in local government, it cannot be said that they live in a civilized society. In modern scientific literature and journalism instead of the term «civilized society» in this sense is often used the term «civil society». Political scientists and sociologists actively explore issues of converting the inhabitants of European cities in conscious socially active citizens, with their distinct social position. Of course, increasing social activity of people affects the process of area’s economic development. The idea of involving customers into the process of product design is not new in marketing that is why we can adopt this experience into the practice of local administration service providing.
As the conclusions it was stated that if there is a willingness to spend on strategic planning at least six months, we recommend to combine different methods of strategic plan preparation with an emphasis on citizens participation. High levels of public involvement in the process of city development strategic planning requires a change in the role of citizens in the process. Residents of the city should feel like creators and owners of the strategic plan. Only under such conditions in modern Ukraine can ensure further implementation of these plans. To convert city inhabitant from product consumer into prosumer is desirable for local authorities, as increasing the likelihood that a city dweller will be pleased with the services offered in the city, on the formation of which he or she had a direct impact. Accordingly, we can expect political and financial support for the city authorities. Simultaneously, the local government should be aware that prosumer will not be satisfied only with the participation in creating of city development strategic plan, but also wants to influence the other, non-strategic decisions taken by local authorities. That is why the search of ways to improve the transparency of government and its interaction with the public in making the widest possible range of solutions is becoming urgent.
Keywords: prosumer, city development, strategic plan, citizen participation, city rezident
JEL Classification: H80, M31, R50, R58.
Cite as: Karyy, O. (2015). Transformation of a city resident into prosumer in the process of the city development strategic planning. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 32-44. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2015.1-03
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Aristotel. (2000). Polityka [Politics]. Кyiv: Osnovy [in Ukrainian].
- Semenova, L.N. (1997). Ustoichevoie razvitiie [Sustainable development]. Almaty, Fond «ХХІ vek» [in Russian].
- Yevropeiska deklaratsiia prav mist [European declaration of cities rights]. (n.d.). www.eru.org.ua. Retrieved from http://www.eru.org.ua/index.php?page=1206 [in Ukrainian].
- Braison, D.M. (2004). Stratehichne planuvannia dlia neprybutkovykh orhanizatsii [Strategic planning for nongovernment organozations]. Lviv: Litopys [in Ukrainian].
- Gazarian, A. (2002). Stratehicheskoie planirovaniie v mestnom samoupravlenii [Strategic planning in local self-government]. Кyiv: Largis [in Russian].
- Yevdokymenko, V. (2004). Stratehiia sotsialno-ekonomichnoho rozvytku administratyvno-terytorialnoi odynytsi: kontseptualnyi pidkhid v suchasnykh umovakh [Strategy of social and economic development of administrative, territorial unit: conceptual approach in modern situation]. Rehionalna ekonomika – Regional Economics, 2, 104-117 [in Ukrainian].
- Karlova, O.A. (2012). Formuvannia stratehii sotsialno-ekonomichnoho rozvytku mista [Formation of social and economic city development strategy]. Visnyk Natsionalnoho technichnoho universytetu «Kharkivskyi politechnichnyi instytut» – Bulletin of the National Technical University «Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute», 14, 83-89 [in Ukrainian].
- Noworól, A. (2007). Planowanie rozwoju terytorialnego w skali regionalnej i lokalnej [Territory development planning in regional and local scale]. Kraków: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Jagiellońskiego [in Polish].
- Sharov, Yu.P. (2001). Stratehichne planuvannia v munitsypalnomu menedzhmenti: kontseptualni aspekty [Strategic planning in municipal management: conceptual aspects]. Кyiv: Vydavnytstvo UADU [in Ukrainian].
- Kaleta, A. (1998). Aktywizacja społeczności lokalnych (na przykładzie gmin województwa toruńskiego) [Local communities activization (on the example of Torun region)]. Wrocław: Zakład Narodowy im. Ossolińskich – Wydawnictwo [in Polish].
- Pius XI. (n.d.). Quadragesimo anno. www.mop.pl. Retrieved from http://www.mop.pl/doc/html/encykliki/Quadragesimo%20anno.htm.
- Yegorov, A.N. (2001). Horod kak sotsialno-ekonomicheskii obiekt upravleniia [City as social and economic object of management]. Donetsk: IEP NAN Ukrainy [in Russian].
- Kolodii, A.F. (2001). Istorychna evolutsiia hromadianskoho suspilstva ta uiavlen pro nioho (formuvannia idealu) [Historical evolution of civil society and its conceptions (formation of ideal)]. Elektronnyi nezalezhnyi kultorolohichnyi chasopys «Yi» – Independent cultural journal «JI», 21, 23-42 [in Ukrainian].
- Toffler, A. (2004). Trietia volna [The Third Wave]. Мoscow: AST [in Russian].
- Quane, B. (n.d.). Era prosumenta [Age of prosumer]. vipbook.info Retrieved from http://vipbook.info/business/3198-bill-kvejjn-jera-pro-sumenta.html [in Russian].
- Rehiony Ukrainy ta yikh sklad [Ukrainian regions and their composition]. (n.d.). gska2.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://gska2.rada.gov.ua/pls/z7502/a002.
- Baza danykh tekstiv stratehii [Stretagy texts database]. (n.d.). Instytut mista – Urban Institute. Retrieved from http://www.city-institute.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60 &Itemid=121 [in Ukrainian].
- Antoshkina, L.I. (2007). Aspekty stratehii vidtvorennia hospodarskoho komleksu mista [Aspects of economic city complex recreation strategy]. Zbirnyk naukovych prac. Ekonomichni nauky – Scientific Papers. Economics, 1, 201-209 [in Ukrainian].
- Markowski, T. (1999). Zarządzanie rozwojem miast. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN [in Polish].
- Stratehichne planuvannia v mistsevomu samovriaduvanni [Strategic planing in local self-goverment]. (1999). Tuson: Santa-Crus Institute [in Ukrainian].
- Klasik, A. (1996). Zarządzanie rozwojem lokalnym. Proceedings from Zarządzanie rozwojem gminy w zespołach mejsko-przemysłowych. (pp.16-28). Katowice: Forma studio [in Polish].