Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Economics and Entrepreneurship, National Technical University of Ukraine «Kyiv Polytechnic Institute» (Kyiv, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. The aim of the article is the research of business-incubators functioning in Ukraine as a component of innovative infrastructure in general and student business-incubators in particular and developing criteria for evaluating their activity.
The results of the analysis. It was determined that purpose of student innovation business incubator should be protection and representation of students interests through innovative transformation of students ideas, projects in the ready-made high technology products and/or existing innovative enterprises by providing organizational, administrative, information and consulting, scientific and methodological support. The result of research is specified on tasks for student innovative business-incubators, and services which they can provide for the creation of innovative businesses.
Two components of work of the student innovative business-incubator are delimited. They include projection and educational component. The projection component includes consistent work starting from the student and preparing a business project to realization of projects. Educational component includes activities of students preparing to realization projects.
It was established, that the presence at the university of student business incubators generating space for knowledge, allows to get perspective developments which may become the basis for small business. Students will demonstrate their skills not only in innovative developments but also as entrepreneurs.
The creation of such innovative structure will help to combine students efforts at engineering, economic, legal, linguistic specialties and provide real practical professional experience during the education at the university.
Creation of innovative student business incubators provides better commercialization of innovations, increases rationalization activity and activity as inventor, improves the level of students welfare, combines education, research and innovative activity, promotes prestige of the university and increase chances for the real specialists employment in the innovative sector economy. It in turn provides the opportunity to form a layer of innovative-minded professionals of various disciplines, who have a certain level of competence in the conducting their professional activities in the economy.
The conclusions and directions of further research. In order to improve innovation infrastructure through the integration of educational, scientific and industrial activity the author proposes the creation of student innovation business incubators on the base of the leading universities of the country. Thus the benefits of economy innovative development can be implemented under condition, that educational and research institutions will be more fully integrated into the economic relations of regions and countries, but they are excluded from these processes yet, because even the activities of existing innovation infrastructure are not as complete as in practice in many other market economies.
Scientific novelty of research proposes groups of indicators for evaluating the performance of students’ innovation business incubators based on the definition of project and education components of work. It made it possible to develop a method of estimation activity of student business incubator.
Further development is required by implementation of the proposed criteria for evaluation of the performance of students innovative business incubators with the development and application of integrated parameter which estimates their activity and the definition of impact SIBI dynamics on the development of the region and state, using elasticity coefficient. There are still unsolved problem of financing the creation and functioning of student business incubators on the base of leading universities. Directions of innovative infrastructure development in Ukraine generally and their interaction also require further research, including student business-incubators.
Keywords: student innovative business-incubator, innovative infrastructure, education, university, innovative development
JEL Classification: I28, O18, О31.
Cite as: Tulchinska, S. (2015). Functioning of the students business-incubators on the base of leading Ukrainian universities. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 134-143. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2015.2-11
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Grishnova, O.A. (2006). Intehratsiia naukovoho i navchalnoho protsesiv – osnovnyi pryntsyp universytetskoi osvity [Integration of scientific and educational process is the fundamental principle of university education]. Proceedings of the Scientific and Practical Conference: Reformuvannia systemy vyshchoi finansovo-ekonomichnoi osvity v konteksti Bolonskoi deklаratsii – Reforming of higher economical and financial education in the context of the Bologna Declaration. (pp. 113-115). Kyiv: UDUEF [in Ukrainian].
- Danilishin, B., & Kutsenko, V. (2007). Osvita, nauka i vyrobnytstvo u konteksti vymoh Bolonskoi deklаratsii [Education, science and industry in the context of the Bologna Declaration]. Visnyk NAN Ukrainy – Bulletin of National Academy of Sciences in Ukraine, 3, 14-22 [in Ukrainian].
- Zhuk, O.M., & Borodіna, M.V. (2008). Іnfrastrukturne zabezpechennіa іnnovatsіinoho protsesu v Ukraіnі [Infrastructure software of innovation process in Ukraine]. Aktualnі problemy ekonomіky – Actual problems of economy, 8, 66-71 [in Ukrainian].
- Nemchenko, A.B., & Nemchenko, T.V. (2010). Bіznes-іnkubatory v sferі suchasnoi derzhavnoi pіdtrimky rozvytku rehіonalnoi іnnovatsіinoi іnfrastruktury [Business incubators in the field of contemporary state support of regional innovatiove infrastructure]. Naukovі pratsі KNTU. Ekonomіchnі nauky – Proceedings KNTU. Economics, 17, 36-41 [in Ukrainian].
- Popov, S.F. (2005). Diffuziia tekhnolohii v periferiinie rehiony: rol universitetskikh malykh predpriiatii [The diffusion of technology in the peripheral regions: the role of university small business]. Vіsnik Hmelnitskoho natsіonalnoho unіversitetu. Ser. Ekonomіchnі nauky – Bulletin of Khmelnitsky National University. August. Economics, Vol 3, 2, 162-166 [in Russian].
- Vaschenko, K.O., Varnalіi, Z.S, Vorotіn, V.E., Geiets, V.M., Kuzhel, E.M., Lіbanova, O.V., & et al. (2008). Pro stan ta perspektyvy rozvytku pіdpriemnytstva v Ukraynі: Natsіonalna dopovіd [On the status and prospects of entrepreneurship development in Ukraine: National Report]. Kyiv: Derzhkompіdpryiemnytstvo [in Ukrainian].
- Natsіonalna osvіtnia іnfrastruktura udoskonalennia іnnovatsіinoi ta pіdpryiemnitskoi dіialnostі ІT-studentіv «Теmpus» [National Education Framework for Enhancing IT Students Innovation and Entrepreneurship «Теmpus»]. (n.d.). tempus.nung.edu.ua/uk. Retrieved from http://tempus.nung.edu.ua/uk [in Ukrainian].
- Tulchynska, S.O. (2009). Vzaemozviazok nauky ta osvіty v kontekstі rozvytku іnnovatsіinoi ekonomіky [The relationship of science and education in the context of an innovative economy development]. A.A. Mazaraki (Eds.). Proceedings of the 2rd International Business Forum «Problemy ta perspektyvy rozvytku іnnovatsіinoi dіialnostі v Ukrainі» – «Problems and perspectives of innovative activity in Ukraine». (pp. 87-89). Kyiv: KNTEU [in Ukrainian].
- Tulchynska, S.O. (2012). Suchasna іnnovatsіina іnfrastruktura rehіonіv v kontekstі іntehratsіi osvіtnoi, naukovoi ta vyrobnychoi dіialnostі [Modern innovative infrastructure of regions in the context of regional integration of educational, scientific and industrial activities]. Suchasnyi naukovyi vіsnyk: Serіia «Ekonomіka» – Modern Science Bulletin: Seria «Economics», 19 (131), 86-94 [in Ukrainian].
- Geiets, V.M. (Ed.). (2006). Ukraina u vymіrі ekonomіky znan [Ukraine in terms of the knowledge economy]. Kyiv: Osnova [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainska asotsіatsіia bіznes-іnkubatorіv ta іnnovatsіinikh tsentrіv [Ukrainian Association of Business Incubators and Innovative Centers]. (n.d.). novekolo.info/index.php/ua/pro-uabiits/statut. Retrieved from http://www.novekolo.info/index.php/ua/pro-uabiits/statut [in Ukrainian].
- Tulchynska, S.O., Melnichenko, A.A., & Akіmova, O.A. (2012). Upravlіnnia u sferі osvіty і nauky yak faktor zabezpechennia staloho rozvytku derzhavy ta rehіonіv [Management in education as a factor of sustainable development of the country and its regions]. Kyiv: Vyd-vo VP «Edelveis» [in Ukrainian].
- National Business Incubation Association. (n.d.). nbia.org. Retrieved from http://www.nbia.org [in English].
- Startup Industry Members Discussed Business Incubators Role In Startups Development. (n.d.). farminers.com/en/investors/news/20.html. Retrieved from http://farminers.com/en/investors/news/ 20.html [in English].