PhD Student of the Department of Marketing and Advertising, Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics (Kyiv, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. The paper is dedicated to problems of searching and choosing sources of information, which can be used by managers and executives in retail industry for marketing strategy development and implementation.
The results of the analysis. The actuality of information and quick access to it can be supplied by using information sources which correctly answer the purpose, needs and requests of potential information users. Also it is necessary to choose sources with relevant, current data in the field of retail. In the article using of different information sources was investigated by analyzing theoretical and empirical studies of scientists and conducting questionnaire of retail enterprises executives in Ukraine.
Due to results of authors’ investigation it was determined the next.
Official sources of information can be used for collecting data about macro environment of retail enterprise on such stages of strategic marketing as: positioning of enterprise, segmenting of potential customers, forecasting enterprises development and changes in retail industry. Upon that, State Statistic Service of Ukraine is the source of information about changes and trends in demographical and economic situation and factors related to this, which can have negative or positive effect on retail enterprises activity, resolutions of Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers – the basis for consideration of laws and changes in business climate of country, Ukrainian Chamber of Commerce and Industry – provides data about financial positions of enterprises and their sustainability as partners in business.
Publications and sites of different organizations on Internet is the most popular among unofficial sources of information. The role of the Internet approved by results of investigation, but still there are problems with finding and choosing among great quantity of data available in network essential information and authoritative sources for developing marketing strategy. In the article the most useful Internet resources for collecting data about microenvironment of retail enterprise are described. The using of mass-media and print media as sources of information also considered in terms of developing strategy on retail enterprise.
The using of marketing research for getting primary information by large and medium-sized retail enterprises was investigated. The purpose of marketing researches in terms of developing marketing strategy in most cases is analyzing tendencies and forecasting changes of retail market.
The matrix of choosing information sources indispensable during strategic marketing process was developed. Usefulness of such matrix for finding information needed in different stages of strategic marketing is described.
Conclusions and directions of the future researches. This was the ﬁrst empirical study to investigate the use of different information sources by marketing executives in retail for developing marketing strategy. In the result of research it was determined the most useful sources of information in different stages of strategic marketing and the type of information accumulated from this sources.
Keywords: information, information supply, information sources, marketing research, marketing strategy, retail
JEL Classification: D83, D22.
Cite as: Savchuk, A. (2015). Sources of information for dataware of strategic marketing. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 95-104. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2015.4-10
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Neshovorchyvyi ryteil [Difficile retail]. (n.d.). gazeta.zn.ua. Retrieved from http://gazeta.zn.ua/business/nesgovorchivyy-riteyl-_.html [in Russian].
- Herttzum, M., & Pejtersen, A. (2000). The information seeking practices of engineers: searching for documents as well as people. Information Processing and Management, 36 (1), 761-778 [in English].
- Bennett, R. (2007). Sources and use of marketing information by marketing managers. Journal of Documentation, 63, 702-726 [in English].
- Burnett, J. (2008). Core Concepts of Marketing. The Global Text Project is funded by the Jacobs Foundation, Zurich, Switzerland [in English].
- Daneshjo, N, & Kravec, M. (2014). Sources of marketing information system. International Journal Of Interdisciplinarity in Theory and Practice, 5, 22-24 [in English].
- Kovalenko, O.Yu. (2013). Informatsiia yak faktor efektyvnosti stratehichnoho analizu [Information as an efficiency factor of strategic analysis]. Uchenue zapiski Tavricheskoho natsyonalnoho universiteta imeni V.Y. Vernadskoho – Scientific articles of V.I. Vernadskyi Tavricheskii national university, 1, 56-65 [in Ukrainian].
- Lytvynenko, O.H., & Yaremenko, S.S. (2010). Informatsiia yak kliuchova skladova uspishnoi diialnosti pidpryiemstva v suchasnykh umovakh [Information as the crucial partial of successful enterprises activity under current conditions]. Visnyk NTU «KHPI» – Herald of National Technical University «Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute», 7, 97-103 [in Ukrainian].
- Lytovchenko, I.L. (2008). Metodolohichni aspekty Internet-marketynhu [Methodological basis of Internet-mareting]. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka [in Ukrainian].
- Pryhara, O. (2013). Sistema marketinhovoi informatsii v issledovanii privlekatelnosti mezhdunarodnykh rynkov [The system of marketing information in research of attractiveness on international markets]. Visnyk Kyivskoho Natsionalnoho Universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka – Herald of Taras Shevchenko national university of Kyiv, 144, 38-40 [in Ukrainian].
- Starostina, A., & Pryhara, O. (2012). Vtorynna informatsiia v natsionalnykh i mizhnarodnykh marketynhovykh doslidzhenniakh [Secondary information in national and international marketing research]. Marketynh v Ukraini – Marketing in Ukraine, 4, 4-9 [in Ukrainian].
- Taghian, M., & Shaw, R. (2006). Marketing information sources and the performance of Australian businesses. Materials of Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference. Retrieved from http://dro.deakin.edu.au/view/DU:30005973 [in English].
- Frolova, I., & Frolova, V. (2014). Orhanizatsiyni zasady marketynhovykh doslidzhen u sferi turyzmu [Organizational basis of marketing researches in tourism]. Visnyk Berdianskoho Universytetu menedzhmentu i biznesu – Herald of Berdyansk University of management and tourism, 3, 52-56 [in Ukrainian].
- Vakaliuk, A. (2010). Delovaia informatsiia: ishchut v internete, doveriaiut presse [Business information: searching on Internet, trust in press]. Sostav.ua. Retrieved from http://www.sostav.ua/news/2010/02/26/10/29756/ [in Russian].
- Sait Derzhavnoho komitetu statystyky [Site of State Statistics Service of Ukraine]. ukrstat.gov.ua. Retrieved from: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
- Kudenko, N.V. (2003). Marketynhove stratehichne planuvannia [Marketing strategic planning]. Doctor`s thesis. Kyiv: KNEU [in Ukrainian].