Doctor of Marketing, Associate Professor in Business and Finance Management of University College of Applied Sciences (Gaza, Palestine)
PhD in Economics, Associate Professor in Deusto Business School of University of Deusto (Bilbao, Spain)
The aim of the article. This paper attempts to examine brand loyalty among mobile phone users – the case of the main six mobile phone companies operating in the Basque region of Spain.
The results of the analysis. Marketers always try to develop a strong and healthy brand in the mind of existing as well as potential consumers. There are different views regarding the meanings and measurement of brand loyalty depending on the professional backgrounds of the individuals conducting the research.
More research is necessary about brand loyalty because conceptual and empirical gaps remain in the marketing literature. Competitive studies are vital considering the differences between nations’ cultures, governments and economies which affect the way companies and customers respond to markets.
An empirical study was conducted to collect the primary data using a questionnaire as a tool in order to test the hypotheses. The questionnaire was distributed to 400 respondents who were randomly selected from the population.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. The findings proved that there is low loyalty toward phone mobile companies according to users’ attitudes through: they have moderate confidence in the services of the companies, they consider themselves moderate loyal to the companies in return for the excellent service, the companies improve its services by a moderate way, promotion of competitive companies affect their attitudes, and they will not remain committed to the companies’ brands, if prices increase. In addition, there is no loyalty among mobile phone users toward companies they deal with according to users’ behaviors through: the respondents intend to sign out of the companies they deal with in the next few years, they will switch to competitors if they face problems regarding the companies’ services, they will intend to sign up with competitors that offer better prices, they do not encourage others to sign up for these companies, and they do not recommend the companies to anybody.
Concerning directions of further researches, the researchers recommend the following: conducting further researches on the factors that affect the loyalty of users; agreeing on a unified definition of brand loyalty; identifying all the measurement methods of brand loyalty to facilitate its application in practical way to software programs.
Keywords: brand loyalty, mobile phone users, mobile phone companies, Basque region, Spain
JEL Classification: M30, M31.
Cite as: Salem M.Z.Ye. & Cermelli, M. (2016). An experiment on brand loyalty among mobile phone users in the basque region of Spain . Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 32-47. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2016.1-03
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Kotler, P., & Keller, L. (2011). Marketing Management. Pearson Custom Publishing, 13th edition, Boston [in English].
- Mwai, L., Muchemi, A., & Ndungu, C. (2015). Analysis of Brand Loyalty in Cosmetic Products: A Case of Selected Salons in Nyeri Town. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol. 6, No. 4, 210-219 [in English].
- Yeboah, A., Owusu-Mensah, S., Nimsaah, W., & Mensah, N. (2013). The effect of brand name on customer loyalty in the mobile communication industry in Ghana. British Journal of Marketing Studies, Vol.1, No. 3, 62-86 [in English].
- Moolla, A., & Bisschoff, C. (2013). An Empirical Model That Measures Brand Loyalty of Fast-moving Consumer Goods. Journal of Economics, Vol. 4, No. 1, 1-9 [in English].
- Rapala, A. (2014). Elements of brand loyalty in lifestyle brand context. Master Thesis. Department of Marketing, Aalto University, School of Business [in English].
- Jensen, J., & Hansen, T. (2006). An empirical examination of brand loyalty. Journal of Product & Brand Management, Vol. 15, No. 7, 442– 449 [in English].
- Back, K., & Parks, S. (2003). A Brand Loyalty Model Involving Cognitive, Affective, and Cognitive Brand Loyalty and Customer Satisfaction. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, Vol. 27, No. 4, 419-435 [in English].
- Lawrence, X. (1974). A Brand Loyalty Concept: A Comment. Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 11, No. 2, 214-217 [in English].
- Karam, A., & Saydam, S. (2015). An Analysis Study of Improving Brand Awareness and Its Impact on Consumer Behavior Via Media in North Cyprus (A Case Study of Fast Food Restaurants). International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 6, No. 1, 66-80 [in English].
- Allender, W., & Richards, T. (2009). Measures of Brand Loyalty. Selected Paper prepared for presentation at the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association 2009, AAEA & ACCI Joint Annual Meeting. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 26-29 [in English].
- Rundle-Thiele, S., & Mackay, M. (2001). Assessing the Performance of Brand Loyalty Measures. The Journal of Service Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 6/7, 529-544 [in English].
- Martisiute, S., Vilutyte, G., & Grundey, D. (2010). Product or Brand? How Interrelationship between Customer Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty Work. European Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, Vol. 2, No. 1, 5-15 [in English].
- Kartono, B., & Rao, V. (2005). Linking Consumer-Based Brand Equity to Market Performance: An Integrated Approach to Brand Equity Management. ZIBS Technical Report. Zyman Institute of Brand Science [in English].
- Shugan, S. (2005). Editorial Brand Loyalty Programs: Are They Shams? Marketing Science, Vol. 24, No. 2, 185-193 [in English].
- Yi, Y., & Jeon, H. (2003). Effects of Loyalty Programs on Value Perception, Program Loyalty, and Brand Loyalty. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol. 31, No. 3, 229-240 [in English].
- Jacoby, J., & Chestnut, R. (1978). Brand Loyalty: Measurement and Management. New York: John Wiley and Sons [in English].
- Punniyamoorthy, M., & Raj, M. (2007). An empirical model for brand loyalty measurement. Journal of Targeting, Measurement and Analysis for Marketing, Vol. 15, No. 4, 222-233 [in English].
- Bennett, R., & Rundle-Thiele, S. (2002). A comparison of attitudinal loyalty measurement approaches. Journal of Brand Management, Vol. 9, No. 3, 193-209 [in English].
- Lin, S. (2013). Measuring Marketing Constructs: A Comparison of Three Measurement Theories. Master Thesis. Norwegian School of Economics [in English].
- Lin, Y., & Lin, C. (2008). factors influencing brand loyalty in professional sports fans. Global Journal of Business Research, Vol. 2, No. 1, 69-84 [in English].
- Ahmed, S., & Moosavi, Z. (2013). Factors Influencing the Cell Phone Brand Loyalty of Swedish Generation Y. Master Thesis. School of Business, Society and Engineering, Malardalen University, Sweden [in English].
- Sultan, F., & Rohm, A. (2005). The coming era of brand in hand marketing. MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 47, No. 1, 83-90 [in English].
- Ching, C., & Myagmarsuren, O. ( 2011). Brand equity, relationship quality, relationship value, and customer loyalty: Evidence from the telecommunications services. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, Vol. 22, No. 9, 957-974 [in English].
- International Telecommunication Union. (2013) Measuring the information society. Geneva, Switzerland [in English].
- Sandulli, F. (2013). Analysis of the evolution and current situation of the legal offers of digital content in Spain. A Report on the Digital Content Industry in 2013. University of Complutense of Madrid [in English].
- Just Landed. (n.d.). justlanded.com. Retrieved from www.justlanded.com [in English].
- Statistica. The Statistics Portal. (n.d.). statista.com. Retrieved from www.statista.com [in English].
- eMarketer. (n.d.). emarketer.com. Retrieved from www.emarketer.com [in English].
- Dictionary of Marketing Terms. (2006). American Marketing Association. Retrieved from https://www.ama.org/Pages/default.aspx [in English].
- Aaker, D. (1991). Managing brand equity: capitalizing on the value of a brand name. New York: Free press; Toronto: Maxwell Macmillan Canada; New York: Maxwell Macmillan International [in English].
- Oliver, R. (1999). Whence Consumer Loyalty? Journal of Marketing, Vol. 63, No. 4, 33-44 [in English].
- Chaudhuri, A., & Holbrook, M. (2001). The Chain of Effects from Brand Trust and Brand Affect to Brand Performance: The Role of Brand Loyalty. Journal of Marketing, Vol. 65, 81-93 [in English].
- Mellens, M., Dekimpa, M., & Steenkamp, J. (1996). A Review of Brand-Loyalty Measures in Marketing. Tijdschrift voor Econoniie en Management. Vol. XLI, 4, 507-533 [in English].
- Labeaga, J., & Lado, N. (2016). Brand Loyalty and Heterogeneity in the Spanish Market of Non-Fine Laundry Detergents. International Marketing Trends Conference, Venice, January 21st -23rd [in English].
- Bennett, R., & Bove, L. (2002). Identifying the key issues for measuring loyalty. Australasian Journal of Market Research, Vol. 9, No. 2, 27-44 [in English].
- Hashmi, F., Khalid, F., Akram, M., Saeed, U., a&nd Rizwan, M. (2014). An Empirical Study of Brand Loyalty on Samsung Electronics in Pakistan. Journal of Sociological Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, 350-364 [in English].
- Bobalca, C., Gatej, C., Ciobanu, O. (2012). Developing a scale to measure customer loyalty. Procedia Economics and Finance, Vol. 3, 623-628 [in English].
- Forsido, M. (2012). Brand loyalty in Smartphone. Master Thesis. Uppsala university [in English].
- Villas-Boas, J. (2004). Consumer Learning, Brand Loyalty, and Competition. Marketing Science, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 134-145 [in English].
- Odin, Y., Odin, N., & Valette-Florence, P. (2001). Conceptual and operational aspects of brand loyalty An empirical investigation. Journal of Business Research, Vol. 53, 75-84 [in English].
- Foxal, G. (1987). Radical Behaviorism and Consumer Research: Theoretical Promise and Empirical Problems. International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 111-129 [in English].
- Kuzgun, E. (2012). Brand Loyalty’s Impact on Customer Engagement in Virtual Brand Communities– by the case of Turkish Market. Master Thesis Copenhagen Business School [in English].
- Anyadighibe, J., Ezekiel, M., & Awara, N. (2014). Consumers’ Brand Loyalty and Cigarette Consumption in Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. Elk Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Retail Management, Vol. 5, Issue 4, 1-13 [in English].
- Parmar, S. (2014). A Study of Brand Loyalty for Cosmetic Products among Youth. International Journal for Research in Management and Pharmacy, Vol. 3, No. 6, 9-21 [in English].
- Sreenivasulu, M., Janardhana, G., & Rajasekhar, M. (2014). Customer Brand Loyalty towards Corporate Retail Store – A case study of Big Bazaar retail store in Bangalore city. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 16, No. 4, 1-8 [in English].
- Ramiz, M., & Qasim, M. (2014). The Comparative Analysis of the Factors Effecting Brand Loyalty towards Samsung Products. Journal of Sociological Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, 327-349 [in English].
- Hashim, Y. (2014). Determinants of Customer Loyalty among Subscribers of Global System for Mobile (GSM) Communication in North-Western Nigeria. The 2014 WEI International Academic Conference Proceedings New Orleans. (pp. 119-130). USA [in English].
- Sidik, S. (2014). How Loyal are You? Factors Influencing Consumer Brand Loyalty. Master Thesis. University of Utara, Malaysia [in English].
- Ahmed, Z., Rizwan, M., Ahmad, M., & Haq, M. (2014). Effect of brand trust and customer satisfaction on brand loyalty in Bahawalpur. Journal of Sociological Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, 307-326 [in English].
- Anjum, N., Rizwan, M., Khaleeq, M., & Rasheed, H. (2013). Influence of Brand Loyalty in Telecommunication Sector in Pakistan. Journal of Public Administration and Governance, Vol. 3, No. 3, 188-202 [in English].
- Lin, T., & Chang, M. (2013). A study of the factors that influence the brand loyalty of Taiwanese adolescents with respect to purchasing mobile. The case of Taichung City. Problems and Perspectives in Management, Vol. 11, No. 2, 86-97 [in English].
- Mise, J., Nair, C., Odera, O., & Ogutu, M. (2013). Comparative study on brand loyalty in global soft drink consumer markets of Kenya and India. International Journal of Management Sciences and Business Research, Vol. 2, No. 3, 49-54 [in English].
- Mahmud, K., & Gope, K. (2012). Factors Influencing The Extent of Brand Loyalty of Toilet Soap Users in Bangladesh: A Case Study on Dhaka City. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, Vol. 12, No. 15, 24-33 [in English].
- Khan, R., Shaikh, A., & Shah, S. (2012). Prospect of Switching Mobile Services in Pakistan. Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1008-1012 [in English].
- Pawar, P., & Raut, U. (2012). Analysis of Cell Phone Market in India for Extracting New Dimensions of Consumer Brand Loyalty Measurement. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, Vol. 2, No. 7, 114-130 [in English].
- Nasir, R. (2012). A Study on Factors Influencing Brand Loyalty in Mobile Service Providers among College of Business Students of Universitti Utara Malaysia. Master Thesis. University of Utara [in English].
- Nawaz, N., & Usman, A. (2011). What Makes Customers Brand Loyal: A Study on Telecommunication Sector of Pakistan. International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 2, No. 14, 213-221 [in English].
- Khraim, H. (2011). The Influence of Brand Loyalty on Cosmetics Buying Behavior of UAE Female Consumers. International Journal of Marketing Studies, Vol. 3, No. 2, 123-133 [in English].
- Salim, S. (2011). An assessment of brand loyalty of banking clients. Master Thesis. North West University [in English].
- John, J. (2011). An analysis on the customer loyalty in telecom sector: Special reference to Bharath Sanchar Nigam limited, India. African Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1-5 [in English].
- Ersoy, N., & Çalık, N. (2010). Brand Loyalty: Emotional Devotion or Rational Behavior – A Study on Mobile Telephones from Eskisehir Turkey. The Business Review, Cambridge, Vol. 15, No. 1, 212-219 [in English].
- Yee, W., & Sidek, Y. (2008). Influence of Brand Loyalty on Consumer Sportswear. International Journal of Economics and Management, Vol. 2, No. 2, 221-236 [in English].
- Leahy, R. (2008). Brand Loyalty in Fast Moving Consumer Good Markets: The Role of Bonds. International Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 3, No. 12, 7-19 [in English].
- Lin, H., & Wang, Y. (2006). An examination of the determinants of customer loyalty in mobile commerce contexts. Information and Management, Vol. 43, 271-282 [in English].
- Kumar, R., & Advani, J. (2005). Factors Affecting Brand Loyalty: A Study in Emerging Market on Fast Moving Consumer Goods. Journal of Customer Behavior, Vol. 4, No. 2, 251-275 [in English].
- Lau, G., & Lee, S. (1999). Consumers’ Trust in a Brand and the Link to Brand Loyalty. Journal of Market-Focused Management, Vol. 4, No. 4, 341-370 [in English].
- Shum, M. (2004). Does Advertising Overcome Brand Loyalty? Evidence from the Breakfast- Cereals Market. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Vol. 13, No. 2, 241-272 [in English].
- Magin, S., Algesheimer, R., Huber, F., & Herrmann, A. (2003). The Impact of Brand Personality and Customer Satisfaction on Customer’s Loyalty: Theoretical Approach and Findings of a Causal Analytical Study in the Sector of Internet Service Providers. Electronic Markets, Vol. 13, No. 4, 294-308 [in English].
- Bennett, R. (2001). A Study of Brand Loyalty in the Business-to-Business Services Sector. PhD thesis. The University of Queensland [in English].
- Gommans, M., Krishnan, K., & Scheffold, K. (2001). From Brand Loyalty to E-Loyalty: A Conceptual Framework. Journal of Economic and Social Research, Vol. 3, No. 1, 43-58 [in English].
- Leszczyc, P., Popkowski, L., & Gonul, F. (1996). Multiple Ways of Measuring Brand Loyalty. The Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. 29, Special issue, 494-497 [in English].
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2012). Research Methods for Business Students. 6th Ed. Pearson Education Limited: London [in English].
- Al Refaai, A. (1998). Research Methodology: Economic and Managerial Application. 1st ed. Amman: Dar Wael for printing and publishing [in Arabic].