PhD, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Economics, Faculty of Management and Economic, Tomas Bata University in Zlín (Zlín, Czech Republic)
The aim of the article. The aim of this paper is to comprehensively review of the sources of design management and links between design and business prosperity. The study shows current situation in Czech business in the years 2012 and 2014. Furthermore, this paper also attempts to analyse (comparative study) and identify the awareness of companies concerning design as a condition of business prosperity. The primary aim of the research is to compare managers’ attitude to design in Czech businesses.
The results of the analysis. A comprehensive review of the extant literature and journals identified several sources of design approach as well as various definitions of design management. The research consists of two main parts. Firstly, method of smart internet questionnaires was used. After that, the data were analysed using mosaic plot and elementary statistics calculations and verifying hypotheses. Then, a comparative method was used. Finally, the findings were processed by a comparative study that aims to make comparisons within the years 2012 and 2014. Managers feel the impact of design in three surveyed areas more negatively in 2014 than in 2012.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. The results of the research offer interesting findings that indicate change in attitudes. This paper identifies several interesting aspects regarding design within Czech companies, including the mind-set of management. Briefly concluded: “It can still argue that design plays an important role in most businesses in the Czech Republic”. Many managers, however, do not have conclusive evidence directly linked to a potential success of their company. This problem could be solved by further research.
Keywords: long-term marketing, design, design management, competitiveness, business prosperity
JEL Classification: M21, O31.
Cite as: Kramoliš, J. (2016). The attitude of Czech companies towards design – comparative study of 2012 and 2014. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 11-21. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2016.2-01
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Adir, G., Adir, V., & Pascu, N.E. (2012). Logo design and the corporate identity. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 51, 650-654 [in English].
- Belás, J., Macháček, J., Bartoš, P., Hlawiczka, R., & Hudáková, M. (2014). Business Risks and the Level of Entrepreneurial Optimism among SME in the Czech and Slovak Republic. Journal of Competitiveness, 6 (2), 30-41 [in English].
- Best, K. (2006). Design Management: managing design strategy, process and implementation. AVA publishing [in English].
- Beverland, M.B., Wilner, S.J., & Micheli, P. (2015). Reconciling the tension between consistency and relevance: design thinking as a mechanism for brand ambidexterity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1-21 [in English].
- Brown, T. (2009). Change by design How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation. HarperBusiness [in English].
- Brown, T., & Wyatt, J. (2015). Design thinking for social innovation. Annual Review of Policy Design, 3(1), 1-10 [in English].
- Bruce, M., & Bessant, J.R. (2002). Design in business: Strategic innovation through design. Pearson education [in English].
- Bruce, M., Cooper, R., & Vazquez, D. (1999). Effective design management for small businesses. Design studies, 20 (3), 297-315 [in English].
- Cooper, R., Junginger, S., & Lockwood, T. (Eds.). (2013). The handbook of design management. A&C Black [in English].
- Cross, N. (2008). Engineering design methods: strategies for product design. John Wiley & Sons.
- Design Management Institute. (2014). What is Design Management? Design Management Institute. Retrieved June 14, 2015, from http://www.dmi.org/?What_is_Design_Manag [in English].
- Gemser, G., & Leenders, M.A. (2001). How integrating industrial design in the product development process impacts on company performance. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 18(1), 28-38 [in English].
- Gmuer, A., Siegrist, M., & Dohle, S. (2015). Does wine label processing fluency influence wine hedonics? Food Quality and Preference, 44, 12-16 [in English].
- Gorb, P. (1988). Corporate identity design; Its contribution to effective management. European Management Journal, 6 (3), 205-208 [in English].
- Herrmann, A., Huber, F., & Braunstein, C. (2000). Market-driven product and service design: Bridging the gap between customer needs, quality management, and customer satisfaction. International Journal of production economics, 66(1), 77-96 [in English].
- Hollins, B. (2002). Design management education: The UK experience. Design Management Journal (Former Series), 13(3), 25-29 [in English].
- Kozubíková, L., Belás, J., Kljuničkov, A., & Virglerová, Z. (2015). Differences in approach to selected constructs of entrepreneurial orientation in SMEs segment regarding the selected socio-demographic factors. Transformations in Business and Economics, Vol. 14, No 3, 333-355 [in English].
- Kramolis, J., Stankova, P., & Richtr, M. (2015). The importance of design in business practices of Czech Companies. E + M ekonomie a management, 18 (2), 151 [in English].
- Krenar, P., & Taraba, P. (2010). The holistic competence of multicultural team member in Czech Organizations. Knowledge Management and Innovation: A Business Competitive Edge Perspective, Vols 1-3 [in English].
- Lidwell, W., Holden, K., & Butler, J. (2010). Universal principles of design, revised and updated: 125 ways to enhance usability, influence perception, increase appeal, make better design decisions, and teach through design. Rockport Pub [in English].
- Melewar, T.C., Dennis, C., & Kent, A. (2014). Global design, marketing and branding: introduction to the special issue. Journal of Business Research, 67(11), 2241-2242 [in English].
- Mozota, B. (2002). Design and competitive edge: A model for design management excellence in European SMEs1. Academic Review, 2(1), 88-103 [in English].
- Mozota, B. (2003). Design management: using design to build brand value and corporate innovation. Skyhorse Publishing Inc [in English].
- Mozota, B. (2006). The four powers of design: A value model in design management. Design Management Review, 17(2), 44-53 [in English].
- Oakley, M. (1990). Design management: A handbook of issues and methods. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Reference [in English].
- Richtr, M.(2012). Design to prosperity. Unpublished manuscript [in English].
- Roy, R., & Potter, S. (1993). The commercial impacts of investment in design. Design studies, 14(2), 171-193 [in English].
- Verganti, R. (2009). Design driven innovation. Harvard Business School Press, Boston [in English].
- Vysekalová, J., & Mikeš, J. (2009). Image a firemní identita. Grada, Prague [in Czech].