Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Management of Organizations, Lviv Polytechnic National University (Lviv, Ukraine)
Senior Lecturer the Department of Human Resource Management and Administration, Lviv Polytechnic National University (Lviv, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. The aim of the article is the research of volunteerism as a resource for improving the efficiency of local government functioning.
The results of the analysis. To improve the welfare of the community, local authorities often lack not only resources, but time to implement all intentions. On the other hand, the needs of community are quite diverse and there is not possibility to envisage all their possible variants. This situation is a significant barrier to improving of population welfare, its satisfaction of the environment. One solution to this problem is the use of volunteerism to implement plans of local authorities and civil society initiatives.
Social activity in our country is at the level of leading West European countries, not far behind only the index of Great Britain. This fact testifies to the great potential of domestic civil society, which is still not fully structured, but is already ready for action.
Studies have shown that more than half of Ukrainian ready free of charge to engage in cleaning and organizing the territory of the community, help the needy orphans and disabled, as well as participate in planting of greenery of the settlement. The most controversial Ukrainians relate to their participation in law enforcement. Almost half of them do not agree to participate in it under any circumstances. Instead fifth of the Ukrainian society is ready to engage in such activities even free of charge. Approximately the same part of Ukrainians is ready free of charge to organize leisure and rest for others. About three-quarters of the population of Ukraine are categorically opposed or undecided about their participation in the activities of local self-governments, as well as associations of owners of joint apartment houses (condominiums). Citizens of Ukraine are ready and participate actively in solving national and social problems, but do not want to solve local problems as volunteers, not willing to take responsibility for solving their own municipal problems.
A survey of residents of towns and villages, which was conducted by the authors in the strategic planning of cities and towns, found that in 2007-2014 years at least one third of the adult members of the community believe in own possibility for solving the problems of cities.
In such a situation, local authorities should learn to establish effective cooperation with volunteers’ formal and informal organizations to create mechanisms that would help to attract volunteers into the process of solving social and technical problems, implementation of local development programs. The high rating of trust in volunteers during their participation in the work of local self-governments, public communal institutions will increase confidence in the local authorities and therefore assist in their work.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. On the basis of the undertaken study, it is possible to conclude that the regulatory framework volunteering in Ukraine began to be formed relatively recently. However, the rapid development of this activity in recent years in Ukraine should encourage local authorities to look for their own ways to attract this resource to local development, not waiting until all issues of the participation of volunteers in solving local problems will be well-regulated legislatively.
The paper identified a number of preconditions (positive experience of volunteerism at the national and local levels; willingness of population of Ukraine to carry on volunteer activity even in the terms of worsening of their material position; positive attitude of the society toward participating of volunteers in making decision in relation to optimization of government authorities’ activities in different spheres; real necessity to take responsibility for the problems solving of own community) that encourage the intensification of the participation of volunteers in supporting social and economic development of local communities. The author vision of components of mechanism of volunteers’ attraction for providing of the social and economic development is offered.
Keywords: volunteer, volunteering, local authorities, local development, volunteer motion
JEL Classification: H89, R58.
Cite as: Karyy O. & Panas, Ya. (2016). Preconditions for volunteers’ participation in social and economic development of communities. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 156-169. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2016.2-14
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Zakon Ukrainy «Pro volontersku diialnist» [The Law of Ukraine «About voluntary activities»]. (n.d.). zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://zakon1.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3236-17 [in Ukrainian].
- Volonterskyi rukh: svitovyi dosvid ta ukrainski hromadianski praktyky [The volunteer movement: world experience and Ukrainian civil practice analytical report]. (2015). Kyiv: NISD [in Ukrainian].
- Soboleva-Zorkina, K. (Eds.). (2015). Zelena knyha Ukrainskoi blahodiinosti 2014 [The Green Book Ukrainian philanthropy 2014]. Kyiv: N. p. Retrieved from http://vboabu.org.ua/greenpaper [in Ukrainian].
- Zyma, O.H., & Pidhaina, V.O. (2011). Osoblyvosti volonterstva ta yoho rozvytok v Ukraini [Features of volunteering and its development in Ukraine]. Kharkiv: Vyd. KhNEU [in Ukrainian].
- Komu bilshe doviriaiut ukraintsi: vladi, hromadskosti, ZMI..? – zahalnonatsionalne opytuvannia [Who Ukrainian trust more: the government, the public, media ..? – A national survey]. (2015). dif.org.ua. Retrieved from http://www.dif.org.ua/ua/polls/2015a/komu-bilshe-doannja.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Krapivina, H.O. (2010). Liudski resursy ta yikh motyvatsiia v dobrovolchestvi [Human resources and their motivation in volunteering]. Visnyk Lvivskoho instytutu ekonomiky i turyzmu – Bulletin of the Lviv Institute of Economics and Tourism, 5, 117-123 [in Ukrainian].
- Krapivina, H.O. (2012a). Svitovyi volonterskyi rukh: stan i status [The World volunteer movement: state and status]. Visnyk ekonomichnoi nauky Ukrainy – Journal of Economic Sciences of Ukraine, 1, 73-76 [in Ukrainian].
- Krapivina, H.O. (2012b). Klasteryzatsiia na rynku pratsi volonterstva [Clustering of the labor market Volunteering]. Biznes Inform – Business Inform, 4, 157-161 [in Ukrainian].
- Piesnia o Rodinie. Slova narodnyie [Song about the Motherland. The folk words]. (2015). zn.ua. Retrieved from http://opros2014.zn.ua/main [in Russian].
- Prezydent predstavyv novoho holovu Luhanskoi oblasnoi derzhavnoi administratsii Heorhiia Tuku [The President introduced the new head of the Luhansk Regional State Administration of George Tuka]. (2015). president.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.president.gov.ua/news/prezident-predstaviv-novogo-golovu-luganskoyi-oblasnoyi-derz-35693 [in Ukrainian].
- Pry LODA pratsiuvatyme Koordynatsiina rada z pytan volonterskoi diialnosti [In LRSA will run Coordination Council on volunteering]. (2015). loda.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.loda.gov.ua/news?id=15519 [in Ukrainian].
- Tokhtarova, I.M. (2014). Volonterskyi rukh v Ukraini: shliakh do rozvytku hromadianskoho suspilstva yak sfery sotsialnykh vidnosyn [The volunteer movement in Ukraine: the way to the development of civil society as the sphere of social relations]. Teoriia ta praktyka derzhavnoho upravlinnia i mistsevoho samovriaduvannia – The theory and practice of public administration and local government, 2. Retrieved from http://el-zbirn-du.at.ua/2014_2/5.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Chukhrai, M. (2013). Instytutsionalizatsiia volonterskoho rukhu v Ukraini: realii ta perspektyvy [The institutionalization of volunteering in Ukraine: realities and prospects]. Sotsiolohichni studii – The sociological studios, 1, 104-108. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/j-pdf/socst_2013_1_22.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Banks, S., Butcher, H., Orton, A., & Robertson, J. (2013). Managing community practice: principles, policies and programmes. Bristol: Policy Press [in English].
- Bezjak, S., & Klemencic, E. (2014). Learning active citizenship through volunteering in compulsory basic education in Slovenia. Traditiones – Traditions, 43 (3), 51-65 [in English].
- Hart, R.A. (2013). Children’s Participation: The theory and practice of involving young citizens in community development and environmental care. Abingdon: Routledge [in English].
- Healy, M.G., Rowan, M., & McIlrath, L. (2014). The impact of service-learning on voluntary and community organizations in the West of Ireland / Mark Gerard Healy. AISHE-J, Vol. 6, 1, no pages Retrieved from http://ojs.aishe.org/index.php/aishe-j/article/view/154 [in English].
- Holdsworth, C., & Brewis, G. (2014). Volunteering, choice and control: a case study of higher education student volunteering. Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 17, 2, 204-219 [in English].
- Horita, F., & Albuquerque, J. (2013). An Approach to Support Decision-Making in Disaster Management based on Volunteer Geographic Information (VGI) and Spatial Decision Support Systems (SDSS). Proceedings of the 10th International ISCRAM Conference. (pp. 301-306). Retrieved from http://www.researchgate.net/publication/236838364 [in English].
- Lim, Ch., & Laurence, J. (2015). Doing good when times are bad: volunteering behaviour in economic hard times. The British Journal of Sociology, Vol. 66, 2, 319-344 [in English].
- Mempel-Sniezyk, A. (2013). Organizacje pozarządowe i społeczności lokalne, a skuteczne działanie dla rozwoju lokalnego [Non-governmental organizations and local communities, and effective action to develop local]. Acta Universitatis Lodziensis. Folia Oeconomica, 289, 89-103 [in Polish].
- Percy-Smith, B., & Burns, D. (2013). Exploring the role of children and young people as agents of change in sustainable community development. Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability, Vol. 18, 3, 323-339 [in English].
- Schulz, T., & Baumgartner, D. (2013). Volunteer Organizations: Odds or Obstacle for Small Business Formation in Rural Areas? Evidence from Swiss Municipalities. Regional Studies, Vol. 47, 4, 597-612 [in English].
- Vidacek-Hains, V., Bushati J., & Bencek A. (2014) The usage of information and communication technology in promoting the concept of volunteering. International Journal of Ecosystems and Ecology Sciences, Vol. 4/3, 499-504 [in English].
- Wojcinska, M. (2014). Korzystanie ze świadczeń wolontariuszy przez przedsiębiorstwa społeczne w Polsce [Using the services of volunteers by social enterprises in Poland]. Przedsiebiorstwo we wspolczesnej gospodarce – teoria i praktyka – Enterprise in modern economy – theory and practice, 3, 43-53 [in Polish].
- World giving index 2014 A global view of giving trends. (2015). cafonline.org Retrieved from https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/caf_wgi2014_report_1555aweb final.pdf [in English].