Kyiv National Economic University named after V. Hetman (Kyiv, Ukraine)
Kryviy Rih Economic Institute of Kyiv National Economic University named after V. Hetman (Kryviy Rih, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. The purpose of the article is to find out how the political and economic crisis of recent years has affected the behavior of Ukrainian consumers. How changed their preferences in purchasing of things, leisure, communication and training. As consumers evaluate their economic situation, what is expected in the future and how structural changes in consumer confidence and incomes reflected in their willingness to take innovative products. The study involved the use of secondary information from official sources state institutions regarding economic situation in Ukraine, and the results of a survey conducted by professional marketing agencies on consumer sentiment population.
The results of the analysis. Official sources of data and results of studies of Marketing & Media Index Ukraine obtained through regular surveys of the population of Ukraine aged from 12 to 65, living in cities with population of 50 thousand people or more were used. The sample panel covered the 5,000 respondents from 51 cities in all regions of Ukraine except Crimea and the territories temporarily beyond the control of Ukraine. Quarterly survey took place at the residence of respondents using Face-to-Face method. The results obtained allow to monitor the dynamics of basic social indicators: employment, income, consumer confidence, quality of life, changes in lifestyle and psychographic characteristics, consumer goods and services.
Proved that the consumer culture in Ukraine is at the stage of defining and shaping. During the Soviet era consumer behavior were mostly influenced by economic factors and the physical availability of the product. It wasn’t bought, what was needed, but what was available on the market. After the collapse of the directive management system and obtaining by consumers a free access to goods, demonstrative behavior has become widespread. Ukrainian consumers are much more active than Europeans in buying products of well-known brands, in an amount that often exceeds their real needs, compensating for the limitations of previous years. With the stabilization of the economic situation consumer culture took on a more «civilized» form and utilitarian nature. The ability to travel, get acquainted with the culture and values of other countries, including the culture of consumption and leisure of the residents on the one hand and on the other – the development of a market economy, the saturation of various goods, and at the same time, limited income growth, have their effect. Consumers stopped buying for the future («for reserves»), passively responded to promotional offers and tools of promotion of consumer goods, began to spend more on services, leisure and education. Unfortunately, political instability and socio-economic situation impedes the evolution of a culture of consumption in the country.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. The study confirmed the hypothesis that the economic and political crisis negatively impact on consumption of Ukrainians, for whom satisfaction of basic needs becomes highest priority. This situation is not conducive to the development of consumers and slows the process of introducing of innovative products to the domestic market, as innovators are usually consumers of sufficient high or middle-income that are willing to risk their own money, buying a new product. With the economic crisis, consumers feel insecure and uncertain, so by all means save and postpone major purchases for the future. Falling real incomes lead to a drastic savings of consumers on services, leisure and rest. Personal contacts of Ukrainians shifted to virtual area. Less time and effort is spent on reading books, personal development, professional development, training, which is due to the lack of funds and lack of motivation, pessimism and uncertainty about the future. Such behavior contributes to the consumption of known, proven limited list of goods, as getting acquainted with a new products and switch to other products require extra funds. Formed conclusions give an idea of the priorities of consumers and can be used by enterprises to adjust their own marketing innovation policy.
Keywords: consumer behavior, economic crisis, GDP, standard of living, cost savings, innovation, income, index of consumer preferences, consumer psychographic portrait
JEL Classification: M31, D12.
Cite as: Reshetnikova I. & Sahaidak, M. (2016). The impact of the economic crisis on domestic consumers behavior and perception of innovation. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 191-205. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2016.4-16
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Boytsun, M. (2016). Prychyny ukrayinskoyi kryzy [Reasons of the Ukrainian crisis]. Zhurnal sotsialnoyi krytyky «Spilne» – Magazine of social criticism «Common». commons.com.ua. Retrieved from http://commons.com.ua/prichini-ukrayinskoyi-krizi/# [in Ukrainian].
- Blackwell, Roger D., Miniard, Paul W., & Engel, James F. (2007). Povedenie potrebitelia [Consumer Behavior]. (10 th ed.). Saint Petersburg: Piter [in Russian].
- Vlasyuk, O.S. (2014). Ryzyky i zahrozy ekonomichniy bezpetsi Ukrayiny u 2015-2016 rr. ta mekhanizmy yikh minimizatsiyi [Risks and threat to economic security of Ukraine in 2015-2016 and mechanisms of their minimization]. Analitychna zapyska – Analytical message, 56. Retrieved from http://www.niss.gov.ua/content/articles/files/ruzuku_zagrozu1-bab4e.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Zhalilo, Ya. A., Babanin, O.S., & Belinska, Ya.V. (2009). Ekonomichna kryza v Ukrayini: vymiry, ryzyky, perspektyvy [Economic crisis in Ukraine: measuring, risks, prospects]. Kyiv: NISD [in Ukrainian].
- Zhurylo, V.V. (2011). Intehrovanyy pidkhid do modelyuvannya povedinky spozhyvachiv na ukrayinskomu rynku tovariv vysokykh tekhnolohiy [The integrated going is near the design of behavior of consumers at the Ukrainian market of commodities of high-tech]. Formuvannia rynkovykh vidnosyn v Ukraini – Forming of market relations is in Ukraine, 7 (122), 38-44 [in Ukrainian].
- Issledovanie vliianiia krizisa na pokupatelskoe povedenie [Research of influence of crisis on purchaser behavior]. (2009). marketing-research.in.ua. Retrieved from http://marketing-research.in.ua/archive/ [in Ukrainian].
- Illiashenko, S.M. (2015). Optymizatsiia struktury innovatsiynoho protsesu v orhanizatsii [Optimization of structure of innovative process is in organization]. Kharkiv: TOV «Disa plyus» [in Ukrainian].
- Inflyatsiynyy zvit Natsionalnoho banku Ukrainy [Inflationary report of the National bank of Ukraine]. (n.d.). bank.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id=27033423 [in Ukrainian].
- Illiashenko, S.M., & Golysheva, E.O. (2016). Customer orientation management concept as the innovative way for Ukrainian enterprises. MIND, 1. Retrieved from http://mindjournal.wseh.pl/sites/default/files/article/09-16/customer_orientation_management_concept_ as_the_innovative_way_for_ukrainian_enterprises.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Kruhlyi stil Ukrayinskoi Asotsiatsii Marketynhu «Kryza: povedinka spozhyvachiv» [Round of Ukrainian Marketing Association table «Crisis: behavior of consumers»]. (2008). Marketynh v Ukrayini – Marketing is in Ukraine, 6 (52), 11-14 [in Ukrainian].
- Kulytskyi, S.P. (2016). Pro perspektyvy rozvytku ukrayinskoi ekonomiky u 2016 r. [About the prospects of development of the Ukrainian economy in 2016]. Rezonans – Resonance, 3, 3-17. Retrieved from http://nbuviap.gov.ua/images/rezonans/2015/rez3.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
- Oklander, M.A. (2013). Vplyv sotsialnykh chynnykiv na povedinku spozhyvacha [Influence of social factors is on behavior of consumer]. Naukovi pratsi DonNTU. Seriya: ekonomichna – Scientific works of DоnNТU. Series: economic, 4 (46), 248-255 [in Ukrainian].
- Olejniczuk-Merta, A. (2011). Konsumpcja a rozwój społeczno-gospodarczy regionów w Polsce [Consumption and public-economic development of regions in Poland]. PWE, 13-31 [in Polish].
- Onyskiv, V. (2010). Doslidzhennia povedinky spozhyvachiv ta rozrobka novoho tovaru v umovakh ekonomichnoyi kryzy [Research-and-development of behavior of consumers new commodity is in the conditions of economic crisis]. Halytskyi ekonomichnyy visnyk – Galychina economic announcer, 1(26), 65-74 [in Ukrainian].
- Ofitsiynyi sait Derzhavnoi sluzhby statystyky Ukrayiny [Official web-site of Government service of statistics of Ukraine]. www.ukrstat.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua [in Ukrainian].
- Ofitsiynyy sait kompanii TNS [Official web-site of company TNS]. tns-ua.com. Retrieved from https://tns-ua.com/ [in Ukrainian].
- Prokopchuk, K. (2015). Vplyv ekonomichnykh kryz Ukrayiny na zminu dokhodiv ta vytrat domohospodarstv [Influence of economic crises of Ukraine is on the change of acuestss and charges of housekeeping]. Naukovyy bloh Natsionalnoho universytetu «Ostrozka akademiia» – A scientific blog of the National university of «Ostrog is an academy». Retrieved from http://naub.oa.edu.ua/2015/вплив-економічних-криз-україи-на-змі/ [in Ukrainian].
- Saveliev, V. (2014). Model zminy povedinky spozhyvachiv yak osnova marketynhovoyi stratehiyi [Model of change of behavior of consumers as basis of marketing strategy]. Visnyk Kyyivskoho natsionalnoho universytetu imeni Tarasa Shevchenka Seriya: Ekonomika – Announcer of the Kyiv national university of the name of Taras Shevchenko. Series: Economy, 9 (162), 50-54 [in Ukrainian].
- Sytnyk, T. (2015). Shcho vdalosia Polshchi i ne vdalosia Ukrayini? [What did succeed to Poland and did not succeed to Ukraine?]. Yevropeyska Pravda – European true. Retrieved from http://www.eurointegration.com.ua/articles/2015/02/27/7031364/ [in Ukrainian].
- Spysky stran mira, raspolozhennykh v sootvet·stvii s velichinoi valovoho vnutrenneho produkta (VVP) [Lists of the world countries located in accordance with in size gross internal product (GDP)]. (n.d.) goo.gl. Retrieved from https://goo.gl/Kl4dL7 [in Russian].
- Solomon, M.R. (2003). Povedenie potrebitelia. Iskusstvo i nauka pobezhdat na rynke [Behavior of consumer. Art and science to win at the market]. Saint Petersburg: OOO «DyaSoftYuP» [in Russian].
- Starostina,A.O., & Zhurylo, V.V. (2010). Osoblyvosti motyvatsiyi ta rynkovoyi povedinky ukrayinskykh spozhyvachiv vysokotekhnolohichnykh tovariv [Features of motivation and market behavior of the Ukrainian consumers of hi-tech commodities]. Marketynh v Ukrayini – Marketing in Ukraine, 5 (63), 22-27 [in Ukrainian].
- Statt, D. (2003). Psykholohiia potrebytelia [Psychology of consumer]. Saint Petersburg: Piter [in Russian].
- Chukhray, N.I. (2012). Vzaiemodiia uchasnykiv innovatsiinoho protsesu u lantsyuhakh vartosti [Cooperation of participants of innovative process is in the chains of cost]. Lviv: Vydavnytstvo Natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivs’ka politekhnika» [in Ukrainian].
- Chukhrai, N., & Patora, R. (2001). Innovatsii i lohistyka tovariv [Innovations and logistic of commodities]. Lviv: Vydavnytstvo Natsionalnoho universytetu «Lvivska politekhnika» [in Ukrainian].
- Shumylo, I. (2016). Cherhova valyutna kryza: prychyny ta mozhlyvi zapobizhnyky na maybutnie [Duty currency crisis: reasons and possible safety devices on the future]. gazeta.dt.ua. Retrieved from http://gazeta.dt.ua/macrolevel/chergova-valyutna-kriza-prichini-ta-mozhlivi-zapobizhniki-na-maybutnye-abo-yak-sche-dovgo-nbu-nas-usih-obkradatime-vbivayuchi-grivnyu-ta-ekonomiku-.html [in Ukrainian].
- Yablonska, A., Kravets, Yu., & Stasyna, Yu. (2014). Kompleksna otsinka ekonomichnoi sytuatsiyi v Ukraini u 2014-2015 rr. [A complex estimation of economic situation is in Ukraine in
- 2014-2015]. iac.org.ua. Retrieved from http://iac.org.ua/kompleksna-otsinka-ekonomichnoyi-situatsiyi-v-ukrayini-u-2014-2015-rr-chastina-1-zagalna-otsinka-makroekonomichnoyi-situatsiyi/ [in Ukrainian].
- Bylok, F. (2013). Konsumpcja, konsument i społeczeństwo konsumpcyjne we współczesnym świecie [Consumption, consumer and consumer society in the modern world]. Wydawnictwo Śląsk, 265 [in Polish].
- Zalega, T. (2012). Konsumpcja. Determinanty. Teorie. Modele [Consumption. Stipulating factors. Theories. Models]. PWE, 294 [in Polish].
- Koly v Ukrayini zakinchytsia ekonomichna kryza? Dumky ekspertiv [When will an economic crisis make off in Ukraine? Opinions of experts]. (n.d.) slovoidilo.ua. Retrieved from http://www.slovoidilo.ua/articles/8818/2015-04-10/kogda-v-ukraine-zakonchitsya-ekonomicheskij-krizis-mnenie-ekspertov.html [in Ukrainian].