Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics (Kyiv, Ukraine)
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics (Kyiv, Ukraine)
The aim of the article. In modern conditions Ukraine, likewise to the majority of developing countries is not able to provide social and economic development by their own financial resources and needs foreign capital inflows. Respectively, the purpose of this article is to determine the main factors that affect the attraction of foreign direct investments and their effective use in the national economy and develop a model to assess their impact on the FDI volume.
The results of the analysis. By empirically examining, having built a mathematical model in the form of linear regression, it was found a significant correlation between the net international investment position and internal and external factors of the national economy. Furthermore, internal factors play key role in the fluctuation of the FDI amount attracted to the Ukraine’s economy in the studied period (2000-2014 years). This fact expands the range of instruments of state regulation and creation a competitive market environment for attracting foreign investments.
To study the nature of internal and external factors impact, and, hence, to identify areas of state influence on attracting foreign investment, there were examined determinants of independent variables in the regression model. Taking into account the statistical data and experts opinions, we can surmise that the main restraining factor for FDI attraction is not the war in the East and social tension in the whole country, however economic factors: the lack of development of private property institution and stock market; washout of capital and profits from domestic companies in favor of the related foreign companies; high interest rates on loans, etc.
All of this points to the fact that in the current circumstances first and foremost, it is advisable to strengthen protection of private property in Ukraine. According to the experience of leading countries, government should provide adequate compensation to foreign investors in case of nationalization of assets and continue to reform the government branches, especially the judiciary and law enforcement in terms of fighting corruption and power abusing. Secondly, in the area of ​​fiscal management public administration should be focused on transparency and simplicity of the tax basis calculation, taking into consideration experience of countries with the most favorable in the world tax systems for doing business. Thirdly, it is necessary to develop national stock market in order to both: effectively reallocate national income among different sectors of the economy, and to attract additional financial resources from the world capital markets.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. All in all, it is clear, that current economic situation in the country requires that the suggested measures are to be implemented systematically, comprehensively and as soon as possible, in order not to let business to adapt to new conditions and develop new schemes to come over the laws.
Keywords: foreign investment, international investment position, savings, investment sources, economic growth, stock market
JEL Classification: F21, F32, О16.
Cite as: Melnyk T. & Kasianok, K. (2017). Problems of attraction and use of international investments in Ukraine economy. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 253-270. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2017.1-23
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- UNCTAD. (2016). World Investment Report 2016: Investor Nationality: Policy Challenges., NY and Geneva: UNCTAD [in English].
- Vdovichenko, A.M. (2009). Vyznachennia determinant zaoshchadzhen ta spozhyvannia naselennia Ukrainy na osnovi empirychnoho doslidzhennia [Defining determinants of savings and consumering by the population of Ukraine on the basis of empirical research]. Ekonomika Ukrayiny – Economy of Ukraine, 9, 40-52 [in Ukrainian].
- Karlin, M.I., Shulyk, Yu.V., Kulay, A.V. et al. (2014). Problemy rozvytku finansovoi systemy Ukrayiny ta shliakhy yikh vyrishennia [The problems of the financial system of Ukraine and their solutions]. Lutsk: Vezha-Druk [in Ukrainian].
- Kvasnyuk, B.Ye. (2005). Konkurentospromozhnist natsionalnoi ekonomiky [The competitiveness of the national economy]. Kyiv: Feniks [in Ukrainian].
- Kovalenko, V.V. (Eds.). (2015). Kredytna diialnist bankiv Ukrainy: problemy ta perspektyvy rozvytku [The credit activity of banks in Ukraine: problems and prospects]. Odesa: Atlant [in Ukrainian].
- Skrypnychenko, M.I., Sidenko, V.R., Kryuchkova, I.V. Chernyak, O.I., & Zapatrina, I.V. (2015). Modeli identyfikatsii makroekonomichnykh dysbalansiv v Ukrayini [The models of the identification of the macroeconomyc imbalances]. Kyiv: In-t ekonomiky ta prohnozuvannya NAN Ukrayiny [in Ukrainian].
- Smyesova, V.L. (2009). Vidtvorennia investytsiynoho potentsialu natsionalnoyi ekonomiky [Renewal of the investment potential of the national economy]. Extended abstract of candidate thesis. Dnipropetrovsk: Nats. Hirn. University [in Ukrainian].
- Sharynska, O.E. (2005). Oblikova polityka yak instrument hroshovo-kredytnoho rehulyuvannya tsinovoyi stabilnosti [Accounting policy as a tool of monetary price stability]. Visnyk Ukrayinskoyi akademiyi bankivskoyi spravy – The Bulletin of the Ukrainian Academy of Banking, 1, 15-23 [in Ukrainian].
- Zakon Ukrayiny «Pro investytsiynu diyalnist» [The Law of Ukraine «On investment activity»]. (n.d.). zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1560-12 [in Ukrainian].
- Osnovni makroekonomichni pokaznyky ukrayinskoyi ekonomiky [The main macroeconomic indicators of Ukrainian economy]. (n.d.). Derzhavnyi komitet statystyky Ukrayiny – State statistics service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www. ukrstat.gov.ua [in Ukrainian].
- Byuleten Natsionalnoho banku Ukrayiny. (2006-2015). [Bulletin of the National Bank of Ukraine]. bank.gov.ua. Retrieved from: http://bank.gov.ua/doccatalog/document?id= [in Ukrainian].
- Natsionalni rakhunky [National accounts]. Derzhavnyi komitet statystyky Ukrayiny – State statistics service of Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/menu/menu_u/nac_r.htm [in Ukrainian].
- Derzhavnyi ta harantovanyi derzhavnyi borh Ukrayiny stanom na 31.12.2015 [State and guaranteed public debt of Ukraine as of 12.31.2015]. minfin.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.minfin.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/archive/main?cat_id=224493 [in Ukrainian].
- Varnaliy, Z.P., & Mazur, I.I. (2014). Reiderstvo v Ukraini: peredumovy ta shlyiakhy podolannia [Raiding in Ukraine: preconditions and remedies]. Stratehichni priorytety – Stratigic priorities, 2(3), 34-45 [in Ukrainian].
- National Institute for strategic studies. (2013). Vyvedennia kapitaliv z Ukrainy: masshtaby ta napriamky zapobihannia [The withdrawal of capital from Ukraine: the scope and direction of prevention]. Kyiv: National Institute for strategic studies [in Ukrainian].
- The FDI Markets Database. The financial times. Retrieved from https://www.fdimarkets.com/explore/?p=country [in English].