Poltava National Technical Yuri Kondratyuk University (Poltava, Ukraine)
OM Beketov National University of Urban Economy in Kharkiv (Kharkov, Ukraine)
The aims of the research are: to study the special features of development of energy service business and also to study the ways of its functioning improvement within the bounds of Ukraine that can provide inculcation of standards for stable energetic development and can have a positive influence on general level increasing of energy efficiency in our country.
Research results. The author determined that an important factor for success by forming of stable energy development in Ukraine is state support of specialized energy service business which deals with realization of energy saving measures and ensuring of energy efficient behaviour of consumers. The main goal of energy service business development is to provide energy resources saving and their optimal using in all areas of activity with the including of a certain level of comfort for consumers. It is analyzed in the article the organizational and legal forms and types of energy service contracts that are used in the world practice and can be used for realization of energy efficient projects in Ukraine. It is distinguished advantages and disadvantages of energy service contracts concluding and special features of contractual relationship formation between the participants in such projects.
The author described the mechanism activity of energy service business and the role of government in the development of system of energy service companies. The author also determined the basic principle of energy service business activity – it is turn-key. The main task of the energy service business is income providing for all participants of the process (customer, investor, performer of works, Energy Service Company) through the economical use of energy resources.
It is studied the formation features of basic types of energy service contracts: «Shared Savings», «Guaranteed», «Сhauffage» and so on. It is substantiated that performance-contract (Energy Performance Contracts) is the most effective form of the energy service contract from the point of view of providing the stable energy development in Ukraine. Performance-contract has the following features: it is connected with energy saving technologies; it concludes for the long term period (more than 7 years); payment service depends from the economical level of energy resources; total price of energy service contract returns gradually during the contract activity; service is turn-key.
It is defined that the energy service market in Ukraine is being formed, it is new and underdeveloped. The reasons for these are: imperfect business environment; unstable conditions for small- and medium business activity; misbalance between present-day needs and organizational and legal support mechanism for business activity; lack of adequate methodology for energy service provision; high financial and political risks etc.: limited access to investment resources and their high cost.
Conclusions and further research. The author distinguished perspective development ways for energy service business: active attracting of energy service companies to realization of energy efficient projects in the state and municipal institutions; use of modern managing form and methods for energy efficient projects (concession, rent, leasing, etc.); development of insuring of commercial and non-commercial risks in the realization of energy efficient business projects; the establishment of local (municipal) energy service companies in small, medium and large cities; to put into practice appropriate organizational and legal support mechanisms for energy service companies’ activity.
Realization of the proposed ways of development of energy service business in Ukraine needs a mechanism for implementing private-public partnership including municipalities, private business and banks. In addition, it seems appropriate to experiment on introduction of new institutional scheme for realization of energy efficient projects to enhance the development of energy service business and increase energy efficiency of appropriate measures on the basis of several Ukrainian regions. Unfortunately, the problem of expenditures’ compensation (in case of contract non-fulfilment by Energy Service Company) is still not solved within the current legalization in Ukraine. There are also other problems: development of adequate evaluation system of work effectiveness for energy service companies; implementation of standards for evaluation of service quality to ensure the reliability of energy performance services.
The system of managers’ education requires positive changes. Moreover we need knowledge increasing and formation of energy efficient behaviour of consumers to optimize energy consumption in all areas of activity.
Keywords: energy service business, energy saving, energy service contract, stable energy development, services
JEL Classification: L20, O13, Q20.
Cite as: Komelina O. & Samoylenko, I. (2017). Energy service business under conditions of stable energy development in Ukraine. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 306-315. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2017.2-29
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Gejcja, V.M. (Eds.). (2003). Ekonomika Ukrai’ny: Strategija i polityka dovgostrokovogo rozvytku [Economy of Ukraine: Strategy and policy of longterm development]. Kyiv : Instytut ekonomiky ta prognozuvannja Feniks [in Ukrainian].
- Energoefektyvnist’ u regional’nomu vymiri. Problemy ta perspektyvy [Energy efficiency in regional measurement. Problems and prospects]. (n.d.). niss.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://niss.gov.ua/content/articles/files/energoefekt-b40dc.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Johnstone, D. (2003). Replacement Cost Asset Valuation and the Regulation of Energy Infrastructure Tariffs: Theory and Practice in Australia. – Bath: CRI Centre, University of Bath.
- Independent Competition and Regulatory Commission (2007). Water and Wastewater Price Review / Price Determination Report. –Canberra : Independent Competition and Regulatory Commission.
- Hansen, S.J. (2011). ESCOs Around the World, Strategic Planning for Energy and the Environment, 30 (3), 9–15.
- Ellis J. (2010). Energy Service Companies (ESCOs) in Developing Countries. – Winnipeg : International Institute for Sustainable Development.
- IFC Energy Service Company Market Analysis (2011) (n.d.). Washington: Econoler, Final report. Ref. № 5712.
- Postanova Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrai’ny Pro zatverdzhennja Derzhavnoi’ cil’ovoi’ ekonomichnoi’ programy energoefektyvnosti i rozvytku sfery vyrobnyctva energonosii’v z vidnovljuvanyh dzherel energii’ ta al’ternatyvnyh vydiv palyva na 2010-2015 roky [The resolution of the Cabinet of Ukraine «On the approval of the State target economic program of energy efficiency and development of the sphere of production of energy carriers from renewables and alternative types of fuel for 2010-2015»]. (n.d.). zakon2.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from http:// zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/243-2010-%D0%B [in Ukrainian].
- Zakon Ukrai’ny Pro zaprovadzhennja novyh investycijnyh mozhlyvostej, garantuvannja prav ta zakonnyh interesiv sub’jektiv pidpryjemnyc’koi’ dijal’nosti dlja provedennja masshtabnoi’ energomodernizacii’ vid 09.04.2015 № 327-VIII [The law of Ukraine «About introduction of new investment opportunities, ensuring the rights and legitimate interests of subjects of business activity for carrying out large-scale power modernization» from 09.04.2015 № 327-VIII]. (2015, Kviten’ 9). Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady – Bulletin of Verkhovna Rada, 26, pp. 220 [in Ukrainian].
- Zakon Ukrai’ny Pro vnesennja zmin do Bjudzhetnogo kodeksu Ukrai’ny shhodo zaprovadzhennja novyh investycijnyh mozhlyvostej, garantuvannja prav ta zakonnyh interesiv sub’jektiv pidpryjemnyc’koi’ dijal’nosti dlja provedennja masshtabnoi’ energomodernizacii’ vid 09.04.2015 № 328-VIII [The law of Ukraine «About introduction of amendments to the Budgetary code of Ukraine concerning introduction of new investment opportunities, ensuring the rights and legitimate interests of subjects of business activity for carrying out large-scale power modernization» from 09.04.2015 № 328-VIII] (2015, Kviten’ 9). Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady – Bulletin of Verkhovna Rada, 26, pp. 221 [in Ukrainian].
- Nacional’nyj plan dij z energoefektyvnosti do 2020 roku [The national plan of action for energy efficiency to 2020 godaenergomodernization]. (n.d.). naer.gov.ua Retrieved from http:// naer.gov.ua/forum/userfiles/files/ draft_national_renewable_energy_action_plan_through_2020_uk.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Pro pryjednannja Ukrai’ny do Dogovoru pro zasnuvannja Energetychnogo Spivtovarystva: protokol № 2787-VI(2787-17 ) vid 15.12.2011. [About accession of Ukraine to the Constitutive treaty of Power Community: protocol № 2787-VI(2787-17 ) from 15.12.2011 (2011, Gruden’ 15)]. (n.d.). zakon4.rada.gov.ua Retrieved from http://zakon4.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/994_a27 [in Ukrainian].
- Kovalko, O.M. (2013). Ekonomiko-matematychna model porivnialnoi perevahy transhranychnoi vzaiemodii enerhoservisnykh kompanii [Economic model of energy service companies transboundary interaction comparative advantage]. Enerhetyka: ekonomika, tekhnolohii, ekolohiia – Energy: economics, technology, ecology, 1, 7-14 [in Ukrainian].
- Syvaiev, S. B. (2011). Sozdaniie i deiatelnost enerhoservisnykh kompanii i perfomans-kontraktov v Rossii [The establishment and activities of energy service companies and energy performance contracting in Russia]. (Vol. 1). Moscow [in Russian].
- Zakon Ukrai’ny Pro finansovyj lizyng [The law of Ukraine «About financial leasing»] (1998). Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy – Bulletin of Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, 16, pp. 68 [in Ukrainian].
- Ljahova, O. O. (2012). Proektne finansuvannja energozberezhennja v Ukrai’ni [Project financing of energy -saving in the Ukraine]. Efektyvna ekonomika – Efficient economy, 3. Retrieved from http:// www.economy.nayka.com.ua/?op=1&z=997 [in Ukrainian].
- Burtovuy, O. (2011). Enerhoservisni kontrakty [Energy Services Contracts]. Yurydychna hazeta – The Legal Newspaper, 12, 9 [in Ukrainian].
- Bertoldi, P., Boza-Kiss, B., Panev, S., & Labanca, N. (2014). ESCO Market Report 2013. European Commission, Joint Research Centre, Institute for Energy and Transport. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/jrc.
- Pidvyshhennja konkurentospromozhnosti v Ukrai’ni shljahom stvorennja stalogo zakonodavchogo pidg’runtja dlja roboty energoservisnyh kompanij [Increase in competitiveness in Ukraine by creation steady the legislative base for work of power service companies]. (n.d.). oecd.org. Retrieved from http:// www.oecd.org/globalrelations/Framework_ESCO_Ukraine_UKR.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Prezentacija biznes-modelej energoservisnogo kontraktyngu (EPC) [Presentation of business models power service kontrakting (EPC)]. (n.d.). korosten.in.ua. Retrieved from http:// www.korosten.in.ua/images/economika/energy_management/__-.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Vilkul, O. «Ugoda meriv» rozshyrjuje mozhlyvosti regioniv z vprovadzhennja energozberigajuchyh tehnologij [«The agreement of mayors» expands possibilities of regions on introduction of energy saving technologies]. kmu.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://www.kmu.gov.ua/control/publish/article?art_id=246 [in Ukrainian].