University of Tyumen (Tyumen, Russia)
University of Tyumen (Tyumen, Russia)
Industrial University of Tyumen (Tyumen, Russia)
Under the conditions of unfavorable economic environment, influence of economic sanctions, pressure of problems of funding and liquidity, it is the deposits of the population that become the main source of the formation of the resource base of commercial banks. The population’s deposits and savings play a key role in the formation of the resource base of commercial banks. Their financial stability and liquidity, as well as the completeness of the transformation of savings into investments depend on the effectiveness of the activity of credit institutions in attracting cash and deposits. In these conditions, banking innovations aimed at attracting population savings represent particular importance both for the banks themselves and for their customers.
Our paper describes innovative approaches to attracting household savings by banks and the features of accumulation of these savings by credit institutions in savings and key determinants that influence these processes in the current economic conditions. The paper demonstrates the dependence of the population’s contributions on changes in the economic situation, financial markets, savings activity of the population, institutional conditions for the formation of the portfolio of deposits of individuals.
We show that when forming the resource base by attracting the savings of the population, commercial banks face a number of problems. The challenge for banks is a negative economic environment and unfavorable financial market conditions, which significantly affects the savings activity of the population, predetermining the preferences of depositors, affecting the structure of the bank’s portfolio of retail deposits and the concentration of the deposit market. Moreover, the shrinkage of financial opportunities of investors in the current economic conditions exacerbates the competition for investors and temporarily free cash resources of the population. Another problem is the lack of a statutory restriction on the early withdrawal of funds from the deposits of the population, which impedes the effective planning and management of financial resources on deposits of individuals and reduces the effectiveness of banking activities. Our results show that the current challenges are the imperatives of attracting savings to the deposits of commercial banks.
Keywords: banking innovations, savings, loans, marketing, commercial banks
JEL Classification: G20, M30.
Cite as: Baburina, N., Tarkhanova E. & Fedorova, O. (2017). Innovational approaches to attracting people savings in the modern economy. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 3, 187-197. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2017.3-18
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Bondarenko, T.G., Isaeva, E.A., Zhdanova, O.A., & Pashkovskaja, M.V. (2016). Model of Formation of the Bank Deposit Base as an Active Method of Control over the Bank Deposit Policy. Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, XI (7 (45)), 1477-1489.
- Nys, E., Tarazi, A., & Trinugroho, I. (2015). Political connections, bank deposits, and formal deposit insurance. Journal of Financial Stability, 19, 83-104.
- Jain, N.R., Jain, N.R., Jaisinghani, D., & Jaisinghani, D. (2017). Overcoming the HR challenge: a case of merger of Kotak Mahindra Bank and ING Vysya Bank. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 7(2), 1-16.
- Cornaggia, J., Mao, Y., Tian, X., & Wolfe, B. (2015). Does banking competition affect innovation? Journal of Financial Economics, 115(1), 189-209.
- Abrhám, J., Bilan, Y., Krauchenia, A., & Strielkowski, W. (2015). Planning horizon in labour supply of Belarusian small entrepreneurs. Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja, 28(1), 773-787.
- Adamyk, B. (2016). Problems and perspectives of banking regulation in Ukraine during the economic crisis of 2014-2016. Czech Journal of Social Sciences, Business and Economics, 5(3), 18-27.
- Janda, K., Rausser, G., & Strielkowski, W. (2013). Determinants of Profitability of Polish Rural Micro-Enterprises at the Time of EU Accession. Eastern European Countryside, 19, 177-217.
- Zvonova, Y.A. (2015). Bankovskiie vklady kak osnovnoi instrument akkumuliatsii sberezhenii naseleniia v sovremennykh usloviiakh [Bank deposits as the main tool for accumulating savings of the population in modern conditions]. Ekonomika. Nalohi. Pravo – Economy. Taxes. Right, 1, 27-36 [in Russian].
- Adamyk, B., & Skirka, A. (2016). Banking system and international trade in Ukraine during the financial crisis. International Economics Letters, 5(1), 17-25.
- Cohen, B.H., & Scatigna, M. (2016). Banks and capital requirements: channels of adjustment. Journal of Banking & Finance, 69, 56-69.
- Chamberlin, G. (2015). Coordinating monetary and fiscal policies in the open economy. International Economics Letters, 4(1), 15-25.
- Strielkowski, W., & Čábelková, I. (2015). Religion, Culture, and Tax Evasion: Evidence from the Czech Republic. Religions, 6(2), 657-669.
- Berger, A.N., Imbierowicz, B., & Rauch, C. (2016). The roles of corporate governance in bank failures during the recent financial crisis. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 48(4), 729-770.
- Abrham, J., Strielkowski, W., Vošta, M., & Šlajs, J. (2015). Factors that influence the competitiveness of Czech rural small and medium enterprises. Agricultural Economics (Zemědělská Ekonomika), 61(10), 450-460.
- Simionescu, M., Strielkowski, W., & Kalyugina, S. (2017). The impact of Brexit on labour migration and labour markets in the United Kingdom and the EU. Terra Economicus, 15(1), 148-156.
- Rovenskii, Y.A., Natocheieva, N.N., & Poletaieva, V.M. (2017). Sotsyalno-ekonomicheskiie problemy, snizhaiushchiie finansovuiu ustoichivost rossiiskikh kreditnykh orhanizatsii [Socio-economic problems that reduce the financial stability of Russian credit institutions]. Money and Credit – Denhi i kredit, 2, 69-74 [in Russian].
- Vovchenko, G.N., Holina, G.M., Orobinskiy, S.A., & Sichev, A.R. (2017). Ensuring Financial Stability of Companies on the Basis of International Experience in Construction of Risks Maps, Internal Control and Audit. European Research Studies Journal, 20(1), 350-368.
- Akhtar, B., Akhtar, B., Akhter, W., Akhter, W., Shahbaz, M., & Shahbaz, M. (2017). Determinants of deposits in conventional and Islamic banking: a case of an emerging economy. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 12(2), 296-309.
- Infliatsionnyie ozhydaniia i potrebitelskiie nastroieniia naseleniia [Inflation expectations and consumer sentiment] (2017). cbr.ru. Retrieved from http://www.cbr.ru/DKP/infl/ [in Russian].
- Izmereniye inflyatsionnykh ozhidany i potrebitelskikh nastroyeny na osnove oprosov naseleniya. Razvernuty otchet po rezultatam desyatogo — dvenadtsatogo oprosov [Measuring inflation expectations and consumer sentiment based on population surveys. A detailed report on the results of the tenth – twelfth survey] (2016). cbr.ru. Retrieved from http://www.cbr.ru/DKP/infl/ [in Russian].
- Varanavicius, V., Navikaite, A., Bilan, Y. & Strielkowski, W. (2017). Analysis of consumer behaviour in regional energy consumption. Ekonomika Regiona-Economy of Region, 13(1), 147-156.
- Bordo, M. D., Duca, J. V., & Koch, C. (2016). Economic policy uncertainty and the credit channel: Aggregate and bank level US evidence over several decades. Journal of Financial Stability, 26, 90-106.
- Valencia, F. (2016). Bank capital and uncertainty. Journal of Banking & Finance, 69, S1-S9.
- Strielkowski, W., & Bilan, Y. (2016). Economics of electricity pricing and consumer protection. Economic Annals-XXI, 162 (11-12), 28-31.
- Vogler, D., Schranz, M., & Eisenegger, M. (2016). Stakeholder group influence on media reputation in crisis periods. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 21(3), 322-332.
- Čábelková, I., Strielkowski, W., & Mirvald, M. (2015). Business influence on the mass media: a case study of 21 countries. Transformation in Business & Economics, 14(1), 65-75.
- Chernykh, L.A., Kuznetsova, T.E., & Niyazbekova, S.U. (2017). Tendencies and prospects of development banking products in Russia and other countries. Modern Economy Success, (1), 91-100.
- Sabic-Lipovaca, A., Strielkowski, W., & Bilan, Y. (2016). Intertemporal substitution and labour supply of Bosnian SME’s. Amfiteatru Economic, 18(43), 634-653.
- Saif-Alyousfi, A. Y., Saha, A., & Md-Rus, R. (2017). Shareholders’ Value of Saudi Commercial Banks: A Comparative Evaluation between Islamic and Conventional Banks using CAMEL Parameters. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 7(1), 97-105.
- Gogokhiya D.Sh. (2012). Dengi kak sredstvo nakopleniya [Money as a means of accumulation]. Finansy i kredit – Finance and credit, 2(218), 18-27 [in Russian].
- Acharya, V.V., & Mora, N. (2015). A crisis of banks as liquidity providers. The journal of Finance, 70(1), 1-43.