umy State University (Sumy, Ukraine)
Sumy State University (Sumy, Ukraine)
umy State University (Sumy, Ukraine)
Rossmann (Czech Republic)
Loss of confidence in corporate reporting since the last global financial crisis and its failure to meet deepened accounting information needs of stakeholders led to the formation of a new sustainability accounting paradigm, which has significant differences from the traditional accounting paradigm. The new paradigm and its communication instrument – sustainability information disclosure as a basis for creating a positive image of companies, promoting their reputation as through the corporate social responsibility mechanism provides increased management and economic efficiency.
The aim of the article is analyzing advantages of sustainability information disclosure as communicational instrument, study its role in the management of innovative development of Ukrainian companies and the development prospects of its application on national ground.
The results of the analysis. In terms of failure of traditional corporate reporting paradigm, the new sustainability accounting paradigm and its communication tool – sustainability information disclosure has a number of marketing, social and economic benefits. This paradigm becomes the basis for raising finance innovation and innovation activities of companies. The analysis of distribution sustainability reporting among Ukrainian companies certifying the initial stage of its development. Main economic, managerial, methodological and social factors, which are barriers for sustainability reporting spreading, were investigated by authors. Authors insist that consequences of low level of corporate responsibility perceptions among Ukrainian companies should be grouped at different levels: state, companies and society. Those consequences concern lost profits and gaining in competitiveness by these subjects. Improving of innovation potential of Ukrainian companies authors see through more transparent sustainability reporting, taking into account environmental and socio-economic aspects of the business and meet the needs of stakeholders. Creation of institutional ground, normative, informational, assurance provisions are proposed by authors as main way of sustainability information disclosure In Ukraine to achieve its marketing, economic and social advantages.
Conclusions and directions of further researches. Studying the experience of Ukrainian companies to conduct sustainability accounting and reporting, based on the GRI database showed a low perception of the advantages of this reporting by Ukrainian companies. However, the aggregate consideration of economic, social and marketing advantages of sustainability reporting ensures effective management of innovation development in Ukrainian companies. Sustainability reporting is information-communication framework that fully meets a wide range of information needs of stakeholders in terms of implementing Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations in general and particular Goal 12.6. and the concept of responsible investing on financial markets. Implementation of sustainability reporting not only at the corporate level but also at the regional and national levels requires further development
Keywords: marketing, reporting on sustainable development, accounting for ESG-criteria, sustainable development, innovation development, stakeholder, marketing communications
JEL Classification: М14, M40, G39.
Cite as: Vasilieva, T., Lieonov, S., Makarenko I. & Sirkovska, N. (2017). Sustainability information disclosure as an instrument of marketing communication with stakeholders: markets, social and economic aspects. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 4, 350-357. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2017.4-31
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Cheng, B., Ioannou, I., & Serafeim, G. (2011). Corporate Social Responsibility and Access to Finance. Social Science Research Network. Strategic management journal, 35 (4), 1-23.. Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1847085.
- Corporateregister Database (n.d.). corporateregister.com. Retrieved from http://www.corporateregister.com/search/?s=Ukraine&d=1&org=&sec=All&sub=All&our=All&cou=All&yr=.
- Developments in new reporting models Information for better markets (2009). London: ICAEW.
- Dimson, E., Karakas, O., & Li, X. (2012). Active Ownership. people.hbs.edu. Retrieved from http://www.people.hbs.edu/kramanna/HBS_JAE_Conference/Dimson_Karakas_Li.pdf.
- Directive 2014/56/EU «On statutory audits of annual accounts and consolidated accounts» (n.d.). eur-lex.europa.eu. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32014L0056.
- Directive 2014/95/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2014 amending Directive 2013/34/EU as regards disclosure of non financial and diversity information by certain large undertakings and groups, Official Journal of the European Union L 330/1 (2014). eur-lex.europa.eu. Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32014L0095.
- Ernst & Young; GreenBiz Group (2012). Six Growing Trends in Corporate Sustainability. ey.com. Retrieved from http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Six_growing_trends_in_corporate_sustainability_2013/$FILE/Six_growing_trends_in_corporate_sustainability_2013.pdf.
- Europe 2020 strategy (n.d.). ec.europa.eu. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/european-semester/framework/europe-2020-strategy_en.
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement (2014). eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved from: http://eeas.europa.eu/archives/delegations/ukraine/eu_ukraine/association_agreement/index_en.htm.
- Friede, G., Busch, T., & Bassen, A. (2015). ESG and financial performance: aggregated evidence from more than 2000 empirical studies. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment, 5(4), 210-233.
- Sustainability disclosure Database (2015). Global Reporting Initiative 2005-2015. database.globalreporting.org. Retrieved from: http://database.globalreporting.org/search/.
- Koryagín, M.V., & Kutsik, P.O. (2016). Problemi ta perspektivi rozvitku bukhgalters’koí zvítností [Problems and prospects of reporting development]. Kiiv: Ínterservís [in Ukrainian].
- Lang, M., Lins, K.V., & Maffett, M. (2012). Transparency, Liquidity, and Valuation: International Evidence on When Transparency Matters Most. Journal of Accounting Research, 50 (3), 729–774.
- New Reporting Models for Business / information for Better Markets Initiative (2003). London: ICAEW.
- Towards Integrated Reporting. Communicating Value in the 21st Century (2011). IIRC.
- UN SDG. Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns (n.d.). un.org. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-consumption-production/ [in English].
- Site of United Nation Global Compact. unglobalcompact.org. Retrieved from https://www.unglobalcompact.org/what-is-gc.
- EY and Boston College Center (n.d.). Value of sustainability reporting: A study by EY and Boston College Center for Corporate Citizenship. ey.com. Retrieved from http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY_-_Value_of_sustainability_reporting/$FILE/EY-Value-of-Sustainability-Reporting.pdf.
- Kostyrko, R.O. (2013) Intehrovana model’ zvitnosti kompaniy: peredumovy, pryntsypy, skladovi [Integrated model of companie’s reporting: basis, principles and parts. Ekonomika Ukrayiny – Economy of Ukraine, 2 (615), 18–28 [in Ukrainian].
- Kuzina, R.V. (2015). Korporatyvnyy oblik i zvitnist’ v Ukrayini: suchasnyy stan i perspektyvy rozvytku [Corporate accounting and reporting in Ukraine: modern state and perspectives]. Kherson: Hrin’ D [in Ukrainian].
- Lokhanova, N.O. (2014). Korporatyvna zvitnist’ v Ukrayini i sviti v konteksti yevrointehratsiyi – vymohy investoriv, problemy, perspektyvy [Corporate reporting in Ukraine and all around the world – investors demand, problems and prospects]. Ekonomika ta derzhava – Economy and state, 10, 6-10 [in Ukrainian].
- Pro Stratehiyu staloho rozvytku “Ukrayina – 2020”: Ukaz Prezydenta Ukrayiny vid 12.01.2015 № 5/2015 [Decree of the President of Ukraine: About the Strategy of Sustainable Development “Ukraine 2020”] (2015). zakon3.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from: http://zakon3.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5/2015 [in Ukrainian].