Odessa National Polytechnic University (Odessa, Ukraine)
Odessa State Academy of Civil Engineering and Architecture (Odessa, Ukraine)
Odessa National Polytechnic University (Odessa, Ukraine)
The aim of the article is to identify and to study trends of application and forming of sampling selection of participants, control of survey quality and methods of conducting online panels and online communities.
The results of the analysis. The article provides the analysis of the modern tendencies of marketing researches on the Internet. The development of Internet technologies and the spread of the Internet to all spheres of human life lead to the relocation of marketing research of consumer behavior to the Internet. The structure of the Ukrainian population in accordance with the structure of the Internet audience leads to the representativeness of samples of marketing research on the Internet.
We analyzed the types of respondents’ recruiting for online panels and online communities, their advantages and disadvantages. We revealed areas of application of online panels and online communities. Online panels are applicable in two cases: the target group that consists exclusively of Internet users and the target group amounting not less than 50% of Internet users. Exceptionally in these cases, we can extrapolated the results of panel studies to the entire population. Online communities are used for qualitative research and there are no strict requirements for the population and sample for them. Online communities are classified into three groups: project, syndicated and permanent. Each group is characterized by the goals of its creation, the volumes of samples being generated and the methods of operation.
We analyzed and systematized methods of quality control online survey. Quality control of the survey consists of three stages: monitoring during the interview, data quality control, and panel management. At each stage, a system of indicators is formed, which confirms the quality of the survey.
We considered further perspectives of Internet research, which don`t need Internet surveys. An increase in information about consumers (geolocation, activity on the Internet, profiles in social networks) can contribute to this.
Conclusions and direction of further researches. The study we identified the main trends of surveys on the Internet, both quantitatively by online panels, and in qualitative by online communities. We analyzed the advantages and disadvantages of surveys on the Internet. We determined areas of application of online panels and online communities. We presented the methods of sampling for online panel research. We systematized the factors by which a decision about the possibility of using online panels is made.
Further research should be focus on the psychological aspects of online community members, as this direction of research is only developing in Ukraine.
Keywords: marketing research, online panel, online community, recruiting, quality control
JEL Classification: С93, D10, M31.
Cite as: Oklander, M. A., Oklander, T. O., & Yashkina, O. I. (2018). Marketing research trends: online panels and online communities. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 1, 118-129. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.1-08
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Lylyk, I. (2016). Marketinhovyie issledovaniia v Ukraine cherez prizmu mirovykh tendentsii [Marketing research in Ukraine through the prism of world trends]. Marketing v Ukraine – Marketing in Ukraine, 5(98), 4-15 [in Russian].
- Stewart, K., & Williams, M. (2005). Researching online populations: the use of online focus groups for social research Qualitative Research, 5, 395-416.
- James, N., & Busher, H. (2006). Credibility, authenticity and voice: dilemmas in online interviewing. Qualitative Research, 6, 57-69.
- Dubynskyy, I. (2009). Rozvytok Internetu v Ukraini vidkryvaie novi mozhlyvosti dlia marketynhovykh doslidzhen [The development of the Internet in Ukraine reveals new opportunities for marketing research]. Marketynh v Ukraini – Marketing in Ukraine, 3, 11-13 [in Ukrainian].
- Krakovych, D. (2007). Vid personalnykh i telefonnykh intervyu do doslidzhen onlain: marketynhovi doslidzhennia [From personal and telephone interviews to online research [marketing research]. Marketing v Ukraine – Marketing in Ukraine, 4, 22-24 [in Ukrainian].
- Shashkin, A. (2009). Onlain-issledovaniia: voprosy reprezentativnosti i kachestva dannykh: internet-marketinhovye issledovaniia] [Online research: questions of data representativeness and quality: [internet marketing research] Marketinhovye issledovaniia v Ukraine – Marketing research in Ukraine, 1, 44-47 [in Russian].
- Shashkin, A.V. (2006). Ispolzovanie onlain-panelei v marketinhovykh issledovaniiakh: analiz naznacheniia onlain-issledovanii [Use of online panels in marketing research: analysis of the purpose of online research. Marketinhovye issledovaniia v Ukraine – Marketing research in Ukraine, 5, 52-56 [in Russian].
- Fridman, D.M. (2005). Problemy i perspektivy provedeniia oprosov v srede Internet: marketinghovye issledovaniia. Kolichestvo polzovatelei Internet] [Problems and prospects for conducting interviews on the Internet: [marketing research. Number of Internet users]. Aktualni problemy ekonomiky – Actual problems of economics, 9, 109-116 [in Russian].
- Pudova, D. (2016). Onlain issledovaniia v Ukraine [Online research in Ukraine]. Marketing v Ukraine – Marketing in Ukraine, 5(98), 16-20 [in Ukrainian].
- Shahdaryan, A. (2016). Chto sehodnia neobkhodimo znat ob internet-auditorii [What do you need to know about the Internet audience today]. Marketinh v Ukraine – Marketing in Ukraine, 5(98), 28-31 [in Russian].
- Global Market Research 2016. An ESOMAR Industry Report in cooperation with BDO Accountant & Advisors. (2017). Publisher by ESOMAR, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- The official website Factum Group Ukraine. Retrieved from http://factum-ua.com.
- The official website TNS. Retrieved from https://tns-ua.com.
- The official website GFK. Retrieved from http://www.gfk.com/uk-ua.
- Suvorova, S.H. (2012). Rozvytok marketynhovykh internet-doslidzhen v umovakh poshyrennia elektronnoi komertsii [Development of Internet marketing research in the context of e-commerce distribution]. Visnyk Skhidnoyevropeiskoho universytetu ekonomiky i menedzhmentu – Bulletin of the East European University of Economics and Management, 1(11), 81-89 [in Ukrainian].
- TNS online TRACK 2017. Issledovane vzhliadov internet polzovatelei v Ukraine. Prezentatsiia proekta [Research of views of Internet users in Ukraine. Project presentation]. Retrieved from http://ppt-online.org/181747 [in Russian].