Sumy State University (Sumy, Ukraine)
Sumy State University (Sumy, Ukraine)
Sumy State University (Sumy, Ukraine)
Business strategy and market communication of financial intermediaries, including banks require a transformation under the significant impact of the innovation’s development and a highly competitive landscape. The article considers bank marketing improvement through evaluation of deposit market competition. Key trends of the deposit market by Ukrainian case were analysed by authors. More than 60% of the total deposit portfolio of Ukraine is concentrated in 5 largest banks making market highly concentrated. Comparative matrix of the existing approaches and models for assessing the level of competition in the banking market was presented in the paper. Using nonstructural Panzar-Rosse model (by calculating the H-statistics as an indicator of the level of competition on the market) and input quarterly data on the bank’s financial performance in Ukraine for the period 01.01.2005 – 01.04.2016, four main factors for bank competition level on the deposit market were identified. They include the rate of bank liquidity; factor describing the effectiveness of bank funding strategy; a factor assessing the availability of the bank’s reserve funds and a factor that combines all the key indicators of the country’s banking system stability (the ratio of equity capital to total assets, the ratio of the volume of customers’ deposits to total assets, the ratio of total unpaid assets to assets, the ratio of total administrative expenses of the bank to its assets). Evaluation results point out on the monopolistic competition with frequent deviations towards absolute monopoly or oligopoly on the deposit market of Ukraine. This trend is consistent with the characteristic of the European Union indicating a further reforming of the banking sector in this segment (for example, full implementation of Basel II, Basel III). Suggested and empirically tested approach for evaluation of deposit market competition could expand tools of bank marketing strategies.
Keywords: bank marketing, banks, deposit market, competition, Panzar-Rosse model.
JEL Classification: G21, D01, D40.
Cite as: Didenko, I. V., Kryvych, Y. M., & Buriak, A. V. (2018). Evaluation of deposit market competition: basis for bank marketing improvement. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 129-141. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.2-11
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Ashton, J. (2001) A test of perfect competition in the UK retail-banking deposit market, The Services Industries Journal, Volume 21, pp. 119– 132. DOI: 10.1080/714005052.
- Bain, J. (1951) Relation of Profit Rate to Industry Concentration, Quarterly Journal of Economics, No. 65, pp. 293-324. DOI: 10.2307/1882217.
- Barhaq, Ab. R., Radchenko, Ol. Optimization of Bank Expenses on Marketing Communications. (2018). Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(1), 5-14.
- Barros, F. (1999) Portuguese banking sector: a mixed oligopoly?, International Journal of Industrial Organization, No. 17, pp. 72 – 86. DOI: 10.1016/S0167-7187(97)00064-7.
- Barth, J., G. Caprio, and R. Levine (2000) Banking systems around the world: Do regulation and ownership affect performance and stability? in Prudential Supervision: What Works and What Doesn’t, Frederic Mishkin (ed.), Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research Press. DOI: 10.1596/1813-9450-2325.
- Beregulya, S. (2011) Planning of Development in Bank taking into account the competitive environment, Visnyk of the National bank of Ukraine, No. 2 (180), pp. 40 – 43 (in Ukr).
- Bresnahan, T. F. (1982) “The Oligopoly Solution Concept is Identified”, Economic Letters, No. 10, pp. 87 – 92. DOI: 10.1016/0165-1765(82)90121-5.
- Cetorelli, N. (2001) Competition among bank: Good or bad? Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Economic Perspectives, No. 20, pp. 38 – 48.
- Cichy J., Gradoń W. (2016) Innovative economy, and the activity of financial market institutions. Case of Poland, Journal of International Studies, Vol. 9, No 1, pp. 156-166. DOI: 10.14254/2071-8330.2016/9-1/11
- Demsetz, H. (1973) Information and efficiency: Another viewpoint, Journal of Law and Economics, No. 10, pp. 1-22. DOI: 10.1086/466657.
- Dusko Knezevic, (2018). Impact of Blockchain Technology Platform in Changing the Financial Sector and Other Industries, Montenegrin Journal of Economics, Economic Laboratory for Transition Research (ELIT), vol. 14(1), pages 109-120.
- Drobyshevskyj, S. (2006) An Analysis of Competition in the Russian Banking Sector. Moscow: IEPP (in Rus).
- Gavurova, B., Kocisova, K., Kotaskova, A. (2017) The Structure – Conduct – Performance Paradigm in the European Union Banking, Economics and Sociology, 10(4), 99-112. doi:10.14254/2071-789X.2017/10-4/8
- Girna, O.Y. (2014) Descriptive and models for assessing the banking market in the European Union and Ukraine Finsovyi prostir, No. 4 (16) (in Ukr).
- Gladkyh, D. (2012) The conditions of competition in the Ukrainian banking market, Visnyk of the National bank of Ukraine, No. 9 (199), pp. 9 – 13 (in Ukr).
- Goddard, J., Molyneux P. and Wilson J. (2001) European Banking: Efficiency, Technology, and Growth, London: John Wiley and Sons.
- Hannan, T. H., and J N. Liang, (1993) “Inferring market power from time-series data”, International Journal of Industrial Organization, vol.11, pp. 205-218.
- Iwata, G.(1974) Measurment of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly, Econimetrica, No 42, pp. 947 – 966. DOI: 10.2307/1913800.
- Karaev, A., Melnichuk, M., Guev, T. &Mentel, G. (2017) Stability analysis of the banking system: a complex systems approach, Journal of International Studies, 10(3), 273-284. doi:10.14254/2071-8330.2017/10-3/20
- Lau, L. (1982) On Identified the Degree of Competition from Industry Price and Output Data, Economics Letters. No 10, pp. 87 – 92. DOI: 10.1016/0165-1765(82)90122-7.
- Leonov, S. V. (2009) The investment potential of the banking system of Ukraine [monograph] – Sumy: SHEI «UABNBU».
- Lyulyov, O., Chortok, Y., Pimonenko, T., & Borovik, O. (2015). Ecological and economic evaluation of transport system functioning according to the territory sustainable development. International Journal of Ecology and Development, 30(3), 1-10.
- Mamonov, M.E. (2010) Modeling of the competition in the Banking sector of Russia Using Panzar – Rosse model: Theoretically and Applied aspects, Bankovskoye delo, No. 11, pp. 17-24 (in Rus).
- Moiseev, S.R. (2007) The realities of monopolistic competition in the Russian banking sector, Sovremennaia konkurentciia, No. 1 (1), pp. 14 – 25 (in Rus).
- National Council of reform. Financial Sector Reform.[Retrieved 2016-11-10] Available at :http://reforms.in.ua/ua/reforms/reforma-finansovogo-sektoru (in Ukr).
- Panzar, J. C., Rosse J. (1987) Testing for Monopoly Equilibrium, Journal of Industrial Economics, No. 25, pp. 443 – 456. DOI: 10.2307/2098582.
- Pimonenko, T., Radchenko, O., Palienko, M. (2017). Еfficiency of marketing communications in banks. Business Ethics and Leadership, 1(2), 55-61. Doi: 10.21272/bel.1(2).55-61.2017
- Shaffer, S. (1998) The winner’s curse in banking, Journal of Financial Intermediation, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 359 – 392. DOI: 10.1006/jfin.
- Swiatkiewicz, O. (2018) Market Communication: Ethical and Praxeological Dimensions, Economics & Sociology, 2 (11), 84 – 199. doi 10.14254/2071-789X.2018/11-2/13
- The banking system of Ukraine: results of 9 months of 2011 and key development trends / National rating agency «Rurik». [Retrieved 2016-11-12] Available at : http://rurik.com.ua/ documents/research/bank_system_tendency_%D0%86%D0%86%D0%86_%D0%BAv_2011_ukr.pdf (in Ukr).
- The information agency «Interfax Ukraine», Meetings of the Finance Committee of Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine. [Retrieved 2016-11-12] Available at :http://interfax.com.ua (in Ukr).
- The National Bank of Ukraine (2005-2016). Deposits of depository corporations (excluding National Bank of Ukraine) 2005 – 2016. [Retrieved 2016-11-20] Available at :http://www.bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=24338412&cat_id=12063884 (in Ukr).
- The National Bank of Ukraine (2005-2016). Information about financial statements of banks in Ukraine 2005 – 2016. [Retrieved 2016-10-10] Available at :http://www.bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/category?cat_id=64097 (in Ukr).
- The National Bank of Ukraine (2005-2016). Key indicators of banks in Ukraine 2005 – 2016. [Retrieved 2016-10-10] Available at: https://bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=34661442&cat_id=34798593 (in Ukr).
- The National Bank of Ukraine (2005-2016). Reorganization and liquidation. [Retrieved 2016-11-10] Available at: https://bank.gov.ua/control/uk/publish/article?art_id=75535&cat_id=17823466 (in Ukr).
- Vasylieva, T., Leonov, S., Kryvych, Ya., Buriak A. (2017) Bank 3.0 concept: global trends and implications, Financial and credit activity: problems of theory and practice, No 22 (1), 4-10.
- Xavier, V. (2001) Competition in the changing world of banking, Oxford review of economic policy, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 535 – 547. DOI: 10.1093/oxrep/17.4.535.
- Zarutska El. (2018). Structural-functional analysis of the Ukraine banking system. Financial Markets, Institutions and Risks, 2(1), 79-96.