COMSATS University (Islamabad, Pakistan)
COMSATS University (Islamabad, Pakistan)
Nova Southeastern University (Florida, USA)
The study aims to examine the impact of project managers’ competencies (PMC), emotional intelligence (EQ) and transformational leadership (TL) on project success (PS). Data were collected from 250 respondents including project managers, project leaders, project directors, functional managers, and project sponsor board members working in the information technology (IT) sector. The results of the analysis revealed that the project manager’s prominent characteristics influence the success of the project positively. The study proposes the hiring of project managers, project leaders, and project directors who have competencies like communication, teamwork, attentiveness and conflict management along with expertise in managerial skills in the IT sector. Moreover, resources must be made available to train the existing workforce and enhance their competencies, emotional intelligence and transformational leadership styles through professional courses, workshops and seminars. This study supports the theoretical argument that a project manager with a transformational leadership style has a positive impact on the project’s success. IT project managers ranked transformational leadership as an important aspect for project success. Transformational leaders are inspiring and encouraging, stick to their teams, motivate employees, show them a correct path, and boost employees’ confidence. As a result, a responsive and pleasant environment will be created in which the whole team works together under a trustworthy project manager and attain the project goals. The research provides a unique set of lessons that organizations can use to design or re-design their activities in order to improve the efficiency of their employees.
Keywords: competencies, emotional intelligence, transformational leadership, project success.
JEL Classification: М59.
Cite as: Afzal, A., Khan, M. M., & Mujtaba, B. G. (2018). The impact of project managers’ competencies, emotional intelligence and transformational leadership on project success in the information technology sector. Marketing and Management of Innovations, 2, 142-154. https://doi.org/10.21272/mmi.2018.2-12
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
- Aga, D. A., Noorderhaven, N., & Vallejo, B. (2016a). Transformational leadership and project success: The mediating role of team-building. International Journal of Project Management, 34(5), 806–818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2016.02.012
- Alam, M., Gale, A., Brown, M., & Khan, A. I. (2010b). The importance of human skills in project management professional development. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 3(3), 495–516. https://doi.org/10.1108/17538371011056101
- Andrei, F., Smith, M. M., Surcinelli, P., Baldaro, B., & Saklofske, D. H. (2016). The Trait Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire: Internal Structure, Convergent, Criterion, and Incremental Validity in an Italian Sample. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 49(1), 34–45. https://doi.org/10.1177/0748175615596786
- Ashkanasy, N. M., Haertel, C. E. J., & Zerbe, W. J. (2000). Emotions in the workplace: Research, theory, and practice. Emotions in the Workplace: Research, Theory, and Practice, 3–18. https://doi.org/10.2307/3094814
- Avolio, B. J., & Yammarino, F. J. (2013). Transformational and Charismatic Leadership: 10th Anniversary Edition: the Road Ahead. Monographs in Leadership and Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1479-3571(2013)0000005006
- Awamleh, R., Gardner, W. L., & Gardner, W. (1987). Perceptions of Leader Charisma and Effectiveness: the Effects of Vision Content, Delivery, and Organizational Performance. Bass & Avolio, 10(3), 345–373.
- Bass, B. M., & Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational leadership (2nd ed.). Transformational Leadership (2nd Ed.), 282.
- Brière, S., Proulx, D., Flores, O. N., & Laporte, M. (2015). Competencies of project managers in international NGOs: Perceptions of practitioners. International Journal of Project Management, 33(1), 116–125.
- Brown, S. L., & Eisenhardt, K. M. (1995). Product Development : Past Research, Present Findings, and Future Directions. Academy of Management Review, 20(2), 343–378. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1995.9507312922
- Burke, C. S., Stagl, K. C., Klein, C., Goodwin, G. F., Salas, E., & Halpin, S. M. (2006). What type of leadership behaviours are functional in teams? A meta-analysis. Leadership Quarterly, 17(3), 288–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2006.02.007
- Cartwright, C., & Yinger, M. (2007). Project Management Competency Development Framework, 2nd Edition. PMI Global Congress 2007. Budapest, Hungary.
- Clarke, N. (2010a). Emotional Intelligence and Its Leadership and Key Project Manager Competences. Project Management Journal, 41(2), 5–20. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj
- Clarke, N. (2010b). Emotional intelligence and its relationship to transformational leadership and key project manager competences. Project Management Journal, 41(2), 5–20. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.20162
- Conger, J. A. (1999). Charismatic and transformational leadership in organizations: An insider’s perspective on these developing streams of research 27. Leadership Quarterly, 10(2), 145–179.
- Crawford, L. (2005). Senior management perceptions of project management competence. International Journal of Project Management, 23(1), 7–16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2004.06.005
- Creasy, T., & Anantatmula, V. S. (2013). From every direction – How personality traits and dimensions of project managers can conceptually affect project success. Project Management Journal. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.21372
- Davis, K. (2014). Different stakeholder groups and their perceptions of project success. International Journal of Project Management, 32(2), 189–201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2013.02.006
- Davis, S. A. (2011). Investigating the impact of project managers’ emotional intelligence on their interpersonal competence. Project Management Journal, 42(4), 37–57. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.20247
- Dubinsky, A., Yammarino, F., Jolson, M., & Spangler, W. (1995). Transformational leadership: an initial investigation in sales management. Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 15, 17–29.
- Ekrot, B., Kock, A., & Gemünden, H. G. (2016). Retaining project management competence – Antecedents and consequences. International Journal of Project Management, 34(2), 145–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2015.10.010
- El-Sabaa, S. (2000). The skills and career path of an effective project manager. International Journal of Project Management, 19, 1–7.
- Fink, A. (1995). How to Report on Surveys. The Survey Kit. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412984461
- Frey, L. R., Botan, C. H., & Kreps, G. L. (2000). Textual analysis. Investigating Communication: An Introduction to Research Methods, 514. Retrieved from http://books.google.com/books?id=4pThAAAAMAAJ&pgis=1
- Gardner, L., & Stough, C. (2002). Examining the relationship between leadership and emotional intelligence in senior-level managers. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 23(2), 68–78. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730210419198
- Geoghegan, L., & Dulewicz, V. (2008). Do project managers leadership competencies contribute to project success? Project Management Journal, 39(4), 58–67. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.20084
- Gillard, S., & Price, J. (2005). The competencies of effective project managers: A conceptual analysis. International Journal of Management, (March 2005), 48–54. Retrieved from http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&btnG=Search&q=intitle:The+Competencies+of+Effective+Project+Managers+:+A+Conceptual+Analysis#0
- Gladden, R. R. (2007). PROJECT MANAGEMENT: STRATEGIC DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION, 5TH EDITION. Project Management Journal, 38(1), 124. Retrieved from http://0 search.ebscohost.com.brum.beds.ac.uk/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=24844793&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ for the character, health and lifelong achievement. Bantam Books: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0962-1849(05)80058-7
- Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R. E., & McKee, A. (2002). Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence. Boston, Mass: Harvard Business Review Press, p. 306.
- Gundersen, G., Hellesoy, B. T., & Raeder, S. (2012). Leading International Project Teams: The Effectiveness of Transformational Leadership in Dynamic Work Environments. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 19(1), 46–57. https://doi.org/10.1177/1548051811429573
- Hauptfleisch, S., & Uys, J. S. (2006). The experience of work in a call centre environment. Annual Review of Biochemistry, 32(2), 23–30. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-biochem-060408-172623
- Henderson, L. S. (2008). The impact of the project manager’s communication competencies. Project Management Journal, 39, 48–59. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj
- Henry, G. T. (2009). Practical Sampling. The SAGE Handbook of Applied Social Research Methods, 77–105. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781412985451
- Jiang, J. (2014). The Study of the Relationship between Leadership Style and Project Success. American Journal of Trade and Policy, 1(1), 51–55.
- Katz, R., & Allen, T. J. (1985). Project Performance and the Locus of Influence in the R&D Matrix. Academy of Management Journal, 28(1), 67–87. https://doi.org/10.2307/256062
- Keegan, A. E., & Den Hartog, D. N. (2004). Transformational leadership in a project-based environment: A comparative study of the leadership styles of project managers and line managers. International Journal of Project Management, 22(8), 609–617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2004.05.005
- Kissi, J., Dainty, A., & Tuuli, M. (2013). Examining the role of transformational leadership of portfolio managers in project performance. International Journal of Project Management, 31(4), 485–497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2012.09.004
- Lannon, J., Loufrani-Fedida, S., Missonier, S., Samset, K., Volden, G. H., Todorović, M. L., … Stellingwerf, R. (2015). Project success analysis framework: A knowledge-based approach in project management. International Journal of Project Management, 33(4), 772–783. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2014.10.009
- Leybourne, S., & Sadler-Smith, E. (2006). The role of intuition and improvisation in project management. International Journal of Project Management, 24(6), 483–492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2006.03.007
- Lloyd-Walker, B., & Walker, D. (2011). Authentic leadership for 21st-century project delivery. International Journal of Project Management, 29(4), 383–395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2011.02.004
- Lowe, K. B., Kroeck, K. G., & Sivasubramaniam, N. (1996). Effectiveness correlates of transformational and transactional leadership: A meta-analytic review of the mlq literature. Leadership Quarterly, 7(3), 385–425. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(96)90027-2
- MacNealy, M. S. (1999). Empirical Research in the Humanities. In Strategies for Empirical Research in Writing (pp. 1–14).
- Malinowski, M. F. (2012). Leadership principles for project success. Project Management Journal, 43(1), p. 91. Link: https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.20289
- Maqbool, R.; Sudong, Y.; Manzoor, N.; and Rashid, Y. (2017). The Impact of Emotional Intelligence, Project Managers’ Competencies, and Transformational Leadership on Project Success An Empirical Perspective. Project Management Journal, 48(3), 58–75.
- Miao, C., Humphrey, R. H., & Qian, S. (2016). Leader emotional intelligence and subordinate job satisfaction: A meta-analysis of main, mediator, and moderator effects. Personality and Individual Differences, 102, 13–24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2016.06.056
- Miao, C., Humphrey, R. H., & Qian, S. (2017). A meta-analysis of emotional intelligence effects on job satisfaction mediated by job resources, and a test of moderators. Personality and Individual Differences, 116, 281–288.
- Mujtaba, B. G., Tajaddini, R. and Chen, L. Y. (2011). Business Ethics Perceptions of Public and Private Sector Iranians. Journal of Business Ethics, 104(3), 433-447.
- Mujtaba, B. G. and Sims, R. (2011). Gender differences in managerial attitudes towards unearned privilege and favouritism in the retail sector. Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal, 23(3), 205-217.
- Müller, R., & Rodney Turner, J. (2010). Attitudes and leadership competences for project success. Baltic Journal of Management, 5(3), 307–329. https://doi.org/10.1108/17465261011079730
- Muzio, E., Fisher, D. J., Thomas, E. R., & Peters, V. (2007). Soft Skills Quantification (SSQ) For Project Manager Competencies. Project Management Journal, 38(2), 30–38.
- Neuhauser, C. (2007). Project Manager Leadership Behaviors and Frequency of Use by Female Project Managers. Project Management Journal, 38, 21–31.
- Obradovic, V., Jovanovic, P., Petrovic, D., Mihic, M., & Mitrovic, Z. (2013). Project Managers’ Emotional Intelligence – A Ticket to Success. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 74, 274–284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.03.034
- Pant, I., & Baroudi, B. (2008). Project management education: The human skills imperative. International Journal of Project Management, 26(2), 124–128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2007.05.010
- Papke-Shields, K., Beise, C., & Quan, J. (2010). Do project managers practice what they preach, and does it matter to project success? International Journal of Project Management, 28(7), 650–662.
- Pelletier, R. A., & Mujtaba, B. G. (2015). Maximizing Employee Happiness and Well-being: An Examination of Value Creation and Competitive Advantage at Zappos. Advances in Social Sciences Research Journal, 2(4), 220-232.
- Pieterse, A. N., van Knippenberg, D., Schippers, M., & Stam, D. (2010). Transformational and transactional leadership and innovative behavior: the moderating role of psychological empowerment. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 31(4), 609–623.
- Ping, Han, Mujtaba, Bahaudin G., and Jieqiong, Cao (2012). Management Skills’ Structure in Chinese Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise. SAM: Advanced Management Journal, 77(1), 13-21.
- Pryke, S., Lunic, D., & Badi, S. (2015). The effect of leader emotional intelligence on leader-follower chemistry: a study of construction project managers. Construction Management and Economics, 33(8), 603–624.
- Rehman, R. R. (2011). Role of emotional intelligence on the relationship among leadership styles, decision making styles and organizational performance: A review. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3(1), 409–416.
- Rezvani, A., Chang, A., Wiewiora, A., Ashkanasy, N. M., Jordan, P. J., & Zolin, R. (2016). Manager emotional intelligence and project success: The mediating role of job satisfaction and trust. International Journal of Project Management, 34(7), 1112–1122.
- Shoaib, S. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2017). The Moral Hazards of Higher-Education Faculty: A Qualitative Study with an Agency Perspective. Advanced Management Journal, 82(2), 20-39.
- Skulmoski, G. J., & Hartman, F. T. (2010). Information systems project manager soft competencies: A project-phase investigation. Project Management Journal, 41(1), 61–80. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.20146
- Sohmen, V. S. (2013). Leadership and Teamwork: Two Sides of the Same Coin. Journal of IT and Economic Development, 4(2), 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13398-014-0173-7.2
- Stevenson, D. H., & Starkweather, J. A. (2010). PM critical competency index: IT execs prefer soft skills. International Journal of Project Management, 28(7), 663–671. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.11.008
- Sumner, M., Bock, D., & Giamartino, G. (2006). Exploring the linkage between the characteristics of it project leaders and project success. Information Systems Management, 23(4), 43–49.
- Sunindijo, R. Y. (2015). Project manager skills for improving project performance. International Journal of Business Performance Management, 16(1), 67. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBPM.2015.066041
- Sunindijo, R. Y., Hadikusumo, B. H. W., & Ogunlana, S. (2007). Emotional Intelligence and Leadership Styles in Construction Project Management. Journal of Management in Engineering, 23(4), 166–170.
- Sy, T., Côté, S., & Saavedra, R. (2005). The Contagious Leader: Impact of the Leader’s Mood on the Mood of Group Members, Group Affective Tone, and Group Processes. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90(2), 295–305. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.2.295
- Tajaddini, R. and Mujtaba, B. G. (2011). Stress and Leadership Tendencies of Respondents from Iran: Exploring Similarities and Differences based on Age and Gender. Public Organization Review, 11(3), 219-236. Website: http://www.springerlink.com/content/818m37x43u509781/
- Turner, J. R., & Müller, R. (2005). The project manager’s leadership style as a success factor on projects: a literature review. Project Management Journal, 36, 49–61. 13p. 1 Diagram.
- Vincent-Höper, S., Muser, C., & Janneck, M. (2012). Transformational leadership, work engagement, and occupational success. Career Development International, 17(7), 663–682. https://doi.org/10.1108/13620431211283805
- Vinhas Da Silva, R., & Faridah Syed Alwi, S. (2006). Cognitive, affective attributes and conative, behavioural responses in retail corporate branding. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 15(5), 293–305. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420610685703
- Whitney, K. M., & Daniels, C. B. (2013). The root cause of failure in complex IT projects: Complexity itself. Procedia Computer Science, 20, 325–330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2013.09.280
- Yammarino, F. J., Spangler, W. D., & Bass, B. M. (1993). Transformational Leadership and Performance: A Longitudinal Investigation. Leadership Quarterly, 4(1), 81–102. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(93)90005-E
- Yang, L. R., Huang, C. F., & Wu, K. S. (2011a). The association among project manager’s leadership style, teamwork and project success. International Journal of Project Management, 29(3), 258–267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2010.03.006
- Zareen, M., Razzaq, K. and Mujtaba, B. G. (December 2015). Impact of Transactional, Transformational and Laissez-Faire Leadership Styles on Motivation: A Quantitative Study of Banking Employees in Pakistan. Public Organization Review, 15(4), 431-549.